collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 Beheadings  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Cactusflower

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
G4 Beheadings
« on: October 03, 2018, 04:59:12 PM »
I have Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle all of whom need a good cleaning. I think they may have mold inside that will need to be cleaned. I'm not sure about removing their heads, because they are the twisty heads and I don't want to break them. Anyone successfully beheaded one of these gals?
Cactus

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: G4 Beheadings
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 06:08:58 PM »
Just use hot water to soften their plastic, then tearrr em off! I haven't had an issue with the neck plugs breaking, just tear strategically.
The plastic knob in their neck is very resilient. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 08:01:23 PM »
One question: are you certain they have mold? Because my attempt to dye (the hair) of a G4 pony went disastrously, because she was SO WATERTIGHT the dye couldn't get in! :O So I'm wondering if they're even capable of molding from the inside! I mean, I'm sure it's possible! I just haven't seen it, myself.

I would also add, the neck plugs can break - mine often have white stress marks around the thinnest part of the plug when I pop them out. :x So I'd say just be careful, and pull at a flat angle - like, don't try to pull the head sideways or anything. Just pull straight up, and heat up the neck, and eventually it will slide free! :)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Cactusflower

• Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 08:34:41 PM »
These are not the sealed necks. These ponies all have mobile heads, so it could be mold. I may just soak them in oxy first without removing the heads. I don't want to break them. Otherwise, I'll ease it off gently. Thanks.

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 10:34:43 PM »
I am not sure what you mean by the neck not being sealed. I've never encountered a G4 brushable that hasn't had the neckplug that blocks getting into the body cavity, unless it's the newer ones- I do not have any experience with beheading the new style ponies.

Either way, all ponies are pretty much the same where you can hold their head in boiling water to soften the head/neck  of the pony where it won't need much in the way of easing. You can do the same with a blow dryer. In my experience, you need to have that soft or else it will have a high potential of breaking the neckplug nub off. I've also found that soaking in Oxyclean may also fade the paint if the mixture is too strong.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 12:37:17 AM »
I had to read this thread simply because of the heading... oh my!

Just with my experience with other ponies (not G4), I'm not sure that soaking in Oxyclean would solve your problem because if any moisture got into the body cavity it would then remain in there which is never a good thing, especially as now that moisture would have the chemicals of the Oxyclean in it.

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 06:07:07 AM »

Just with my experience with other ponies (not G4), I'm not sure that soaking in Oxyclean would solve your problem because if any moisture got into the body cavity it would then remain in there which is never a good thing, especially as now that moisture would have the chemicals of the Oxyclean in it.

They mentioned that the neck wasn't sealed so as long as the body parts are allowed a nice and long dry time before being put back together and "resealed" then the moisture part wouldn't matter.

Then again, I never reseal the neck of my ponies once I break them so I don't have that problem- I wash the heads and the bodies separately.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 06:09:44 AM by Sweet Daes »

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 03:27:10 PM »
When I take the head off a G4 to customize them, I usually resort to water torture.

Boil a pot of water
Stick pony head first into water, up to about 1/4" past their neck seam; hold for around 3-5 seconds
Pull pony out, and grip their head (note, head and hair will be hot (duh).)
Carefully pull on pony's head, wiggling it back and forth a bit.
Head should pull off of neck plug with no damage to either.

And now I'm going to thrash out your day. Because if you want to clean inside the body, you're going to need to remove the neck plug, and that's glued in place. I typically use a Husky blade, but an exacto knife should work as well. Either way, nice, sharp blade. If you have a carving glove or a leather glove to wear on the hand holding the pony body, good idea. Carefully put the tip to the edge of the neck plug, and press a bit; you don't want to use too much pressure, just enough to get the blade into the glue. Slowly work your way around the seam, turning the body more than the knife, and move the knife -away- from your body when you need to move it. Again, don't use too much pressure; last time I did, the blade moved right out the side of the neck. X( If you want to use slight up-down motion like sawing, go ahead, just don't push down too hard/let the blade go too deep. You will technically be removing a slight ring of pony plastic that goes around the inside of the neck, but that can't be helped, since its in the glue area/neck plug (kind of like the rubber rings from around a faucet cartridge) . You'll be cutting through around 1/8", maybe 1/4" or so of glue. If you want to make sure the plug goes in in the exact place it came out, mark it with a marker or paint of some kind and take a picture so you know how it came out; it won't show once the head is back on.

Speaking of head back on, you're going to want to glue the plug back in place; I usually use liquid nails brand super glue, since it comes in a small tube with a small tip on it, so it's easier to put it exactly where I want it to go. Whatever glue you use, make sure it's dry before you put the head back on. You have the choice of just shoving it on (center it and push down), or blowing into the neck hole to heat the plastic just that little bit and then shoving it on.

Good luck! :D
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 01:30:18 AM »

They mentioned that the neck wasn't sealed so as long as the body parts are allowed a nice and long dry time before being put back together and "resealed" then the moisture part wouldn't matter.

Then again, I never reseal the neck of my ponies once I break them so I don't have that problem- I wash the heads and the bodies separately.

Perhaps I should have been more clear  :) Cactusflower mentioned that they would try soaking without removing the ponies' heads first. This is what I do not think will be good idea. I too take the heads off when cleaning the insides of the ponies  :)

Offline Cactusflower

• Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 10:38:10 PM »
Some good suggestions, but given the complexity of removing the G4 heads, I'm not going to bother. I'm going to give them a good clean with heads on and let them dry. At first i thought the dirt looked like it was on the inside, but they might just need a good surface scrub and straightening iron. Good grief, this is why I mainly just collect G1's. Break the seal and pop off the head. :P

Also, I'm a mare :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 11:07:23 PM by Cactusflower »

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 10:56:39 PM »

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 07:44:40 AM »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal