collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies in Eastern Europe? (With digressions on other parts of Europe & Asia!)  (Read 6856 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Ponies in Eastern Europe? G1, G2, G3
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
I would love a Chinese book one day just to see how much of it I can read...

But I can read the title and it definitely says My Little Pony (wo de xiao ma) and (he ) friends (peng you men).

Or to do it properly 我的小马和朋友们

Wǒ de xiǎo mǎ hé péngyǒumen

I am very bad at tones though :/ I had to look them up >.> I couldn't say it out loud without swearing, most likely :(

The characters are not the same as Japanese for the most part as its simplified Chinese. Which also means its mainland China, not Taiwan...or I think Singapore because I think traditional characters are used there as well.

LM, do you have any scans up on these at all? I know you are selling them so it's a cheeky question, but it would be so much fun to try to read just a bit of it...

My Mandarin is very basic but it would be fun :/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 01:59:39 PM »
And actually, thinking about it, I don't think it's uncommon to have a TV show in several countries and its related toys only available in some of those countries.

Like MLP Tales being shown in the US and none of the toys being sold here . . . What a world! :P

The Chinese books have a foreword that, according to Google Translate, says:

"This album is based on an American series of cartoons of the same name.  The story depicts a group of happy, cute, magical, and brave pony angels.  Under the leadership of friend Megan they are united and help each other against all kinds of sinister and insidious attacks from the bad guys, tenaciously defending their sacred territory--the pony kingdom.  The story is magical, thrilling, vivid, and cute, and the pictures are beautiful."

Even though the book has "1994" on it, I wonder if it is really from around 1997-ish . . . The pictures are clearly traced from screenshots from the show, so I'm thinking maybe they got ahold of the MLP & Friends boxed DVD set that was available during G2.  Which would also explain why RaMC and EfC get entries, because they were 'extras' on that DVD set.

I am very bad at tones though :/ I had to look them up >.> I couldn't say it out loud without swearing, most likely :(

Hmm, we'll just replace all the swear words with "apple juice"! :P

The characters are not the same as Japanese for the most part as its simplified Chinese. Which also means its mainland China, not Taiwan...or I think Singapore because I think traditional characters are used there as well.

LM, do you have any scans up on these at all? I know you are selling them so it's a cheeky question, but it would be so much fun to try to read just a bit of it...

My Mandarin is very basic but it would be fun :/

I scanned all of them but won't be posting any pics until the books sell, lol.  But I do have some random pages from the auction, don't know how clearly you can read them:

Spoiler

Okay, those probably aren't readable but the pictures are fun too.  The pink bushwoolie in the last pic has Seen Too Much.l
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:05:32 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 02:16:05 PM »
Aside from the fact the spine mentions some kind of Chinese national publishing company...not much! XD

Apple juice! Yes.

Like MLP Tales being shown in the US and none of the toys being sold here . . . What a world! :P
Glory. Medley. Moondancer. Powder. Need I continue? :P
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »
This is a really interesting topic! The pony distribution of eastern and central Europe, as well as Asia, is a large mystery. I'd be interested to know more too. It would indeed make sense that there were no ponies in the countries currently at war or connected to the Soviet Union then, but Russia is a mystery. I quess I should ask can we go thrifting near the border some year, when we last did I noticed an influence of russian imports there. So finding for example ponies not sold in Scandinavia but in other parts of Europe there could give some hints.
  Also poverty wouldn't be that big of a limit for pony distribution, cheap licenced ponies after all made their way to even Colombia, and some better ones to Mexico. Venezuela apparently was more stable then so not counting it.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
  Also poverty wouldn't be that big of a limit for pony distribution, cheap licenced ponies after all made their way to even Colombia, and some better ones to Mexico. Venezuela apparently was more stable then so not counting it.

Do we know anything about the price points for Columbian or Venezuelan ponies or how affordable they were to the general population?

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 01:54:51 AM »

Just imagine having the cartoon and no ponies at all! :O If I am right in my surmise that Poland and Russia had the cartoon but no ponies, I wonder if they had any fakies?

My latest titbit of European info: I was looking at auctions for some MOC ponies from a seller in Greece (Starlight Babies and Playschool Babies), and the cards have 'small print' on them in English, Portuguese, Norwegian and Greek. A surprising combination, given how far apart those countries are geographically.

I've also been looking at Hungarian eBay equivalents. I've seen G3, G3 Ponyville, G3.5, tons of G4 of course, MLP n Friends on VHS, MLP n Friends and MLP Tales on DVD, and one solitary G1 pony (Hopscotch). Another Hungarian site had some finished auctions for G1 ponies - Pony Bride, a Drink n Wet baby, Baby Half Note (not BBE), Daddy Apple Delight, Fancy Pants Baby, Snowflake, Parasol, Baby Cotton Candy, a Rainbow Curl pony - but because they were sold items I wasn't able to check if they came from Hungary or a nearby country.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 02:27:05 AM by Shaz »

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 02:22:16 AM »

Just imagine having the cartoon and no ponies at all! :O If I am right in my surmise that Poland and Russia had the cartoon but no ponies, I wonder if they had any fakies?

My latest titbit of European info: I was looking at auctions for some MOC ponies from a seller in Greece (Starlight Babies and Playschool Babies), and the cards have 'small print' on them in English, Portuguese, Norwegian and Greek. An unlikely combination, given how far apart those countries are geographically.

Hmmm, that is weird! Are you sure it is Norwegian and not Danish? I’ve never ever seen anything translated in Norwegian instead of Danish or Swedish....

Edit: and never ever anything MLP. We had all our backcards in English...
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 02:32:16 AM »

Hmmm, that is weird! Are you sure it is Norwegian and not Danish? I’ve never ever seen anything translated in Norwegian instead of Danish or Swedish....

Here's a picture: https://imgur.com/a/trNxNKQ
It's only the bit telling you not to give it to children under 3, the interesting bits of the backcard that tell you about the ponies are all in English.

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 02:55:05 AM »

Here's a picture: https://imgur.com/a/trNxNKQ
It's only the bit telling you not to give it to children under 3, the interesting bits of the backcard that tell you about the ponies are all in English.

Thanks!! That is Danish though, which makes much more sense :P
Norway has been more like a little brother compared to Denmark and Sweden for many, many years. Afterall, we were ruled by Denmark for 400 years and right after that we were given (yes, given :lol: ) to Sweden for almost 100 years. We didn’t get our independence again until 1905, and still then we were actually one of the most poor countries in Europe. It wasn’t until decades after we found oil in the North Sea that we «grew-up», and in the 80’s we were still like a «little brother». Definetely not an important enough language to be translated to foreign products.

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 03:21:28 AM »
Thanks for pointing out it's Danish! So many things I need to double-check :blush:.

If I do ever manage to put together a website about European ponies, I wonder if I might track down some experts on pony distribution in certain countries to contribute overviews of pony history in their country.... Hmm, so many (probably over ambitious!) ideas and plans!

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 03:39:52 AM »
Thanks for pointing out it's Danish! So many things I need to double-check :blush:.

If I do ever manage to put together a website about European ponies, I wonder if I might track down some experts on pony distribution in certain countries to contribute overviews of pony history in their country.... Hmm, so many (probably over ambitious!) ideas and plans!

No worries! They are very similar after all ;) I’m impressed you recognized it as a Scandinavian language. Not sure many would have been able to do that!

I would love to find someone who could tell me anything official on pony distribution in Norway, especially the early years! And I think it’s good to have ambitions!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 03:54:42 AM »
A lot of the cards in the Classic Collection/Baby Collection releases (and possibly all the ones in the "Post US" release dark pink cards have multiple languages and Hasbro addresses in the small print as far as I remember. Not as many as now, but it isn't as surprising as all of that.

I actually know nothing about G1 in Portugal at all, so I can't comment on that, but I think the reason those languages are there, even though they seem to be so diversely located, is that those places all had packages in English.

With the Classic Collection/Baby Collection cards, there are French, Spanish, German, Italian and Dutch (maybe Dutch/French? Can't remember) versions I think of all the same cards or boxes. So those languages wouldn't be on the English card as they aren't being distributed in those areas. Portuguese is really the only surprising one.

I probably have some examples but I am not sure if that part of the card in my photos is legible enough to check what other translated cards did. I have to go campus in a minute but I'll check quickly and if not, I'll have a proper look later.

Edit to add: Unfortunately it looks like the ones I have are in boxes in other languages and the information about safety is not on the back of the box but on the base which I don't have images of. So I'm not that helpful :(

The only ones I have on card are German carded watercolor sea ponies.
Spoiler

Seems to be all in German to me...
I also found Cherry Sweet on German card but the image isn't great. I think she's also all German.

Edit to add...I noticed that it isn't all the Classic Collection after all. My Cherry Treats' card (1990, first year of Classic Collection) only has text in English, so this must have begun in 1991...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 04:00:39 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 04:37:09 AM »

Do we know anything about the price points for Columbian or Venezuelan ponies or how affordable they were to the general population?

Nope. Though I assume mexicans were pretty affordable, since they don't seem to be that rare at all. I know a site that has a scan of a colombian toy catalogue with ponies in it, but the picture is too blurry to read.

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 06:36:02 AM »
This is so fun! 30 years later, and we are still digging for information for G1s. That they are still raising so much questions and interest, and there are still so much we dont know about them. That is really a fun part of collecting, that you learn new things all the time, even if you have been collecting for ages ^.^

No worries! They are very similar after all ;) I’m impressed you recognized it as a Scandinavian language. Not sure many would have been able to do that!

For me, danish and norwegian in writing are pretty much the same, although norwegian is easier to understand then danish most of the time, when spoken :P

We didnt get much translated here either. Denmark seems to have got a lot of translated cards (or "a lot compared to Sweden/Norway). I have actually ever only seen one blp box which was actually printed with swedish text, and not just with a sticker on it, and that is Megan and Sundance. Oh, how I wish to get hold of that one!!  :help:
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 11:26:21 AM »
The history of pony distribution is certainly fascinating....and often frustrating! :lol:
I've been Googling in multiple languages and looking through eBay-type sites in search of more information. I can't believe how much G4 I've seen, it's everywhere!

Anyway, here's my summaries so far. Of course some of it is just conjecture, so feel free to correct me if necessary.

Spoiler
These European countries had G1 ponies: Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.

These countries had the MLP n Friends cartoon, and may also have had other media such as the film, comics, books, but do not seem to have had any toys: Poland, Russia, Czech Republic and Slovakia, Lithuania, possibly Bulgaria.
The movie exists in Bulgarian, but I haven't been able to find out when it was released there.
It is possible that the Russian dub was also shown in Belarus and Ukraine.

I found a list online (only on a Wikipedia type site, "fullwiki" I think, so not sure how much faith can be put into it) claiming that MLP n Friends was translated into the following languages: Chinese, Czech, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese(?!), Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish. I have definitely seen bits of it in Czech, Greek, Hungarian and Russian.

These countries probably had no G1 ponies: Albania, Bosnia, Croatia, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia.

These countries I don't know about yet, but I have my doubts about them having G1 ponies: Belarus, Estonia, Latvia, Ukraine.

My main interest is in G1, but I've been seeing other gens around too, and have reached the following conclusions, which, again, I'm up for being corrected on if necessary:

Spoiler
European countries that had G2 ponies: Austria(?), Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.

European countries that had G3 ponies: Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Macedonia, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.
Belarus MAY have had G3: I've seen a lot of G3 style fakies and some merch which looks genuine. Ukraine seems to have had a similar situation, this may be the gen that Taffeta remembers a Russian collector saying they had to import from Ukraine, but that's really just guesswork.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 01:43:47 AM by Shaz »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal