collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where were NC Ponies sold?  (Read 3507 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Re: Where were NC Ponies sold?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 06:35:56 AM »
OK, now I’m curious. I found this advertisement from Sweden 1987: https://www.flickr.com/photos/katinthewoods/30177606217/in/datetaken/

Up in the right corner is Megan and Sundance, MIB. She is in the US box, she wears the US clothes and bridle. But Sundance is NC so she is not US. But where is she from then? Was there any other country beside Sweden and Norway that had this release? South Africa? Europe?
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 09:26:04 AM »
If the HK production of Sundance had finished and they were only making Sundance in wherever the NC factory is, which I personally think is China in this case, then it would make sense that you'd just get what was being made. Sundance isn't being made in HK for the US still in 1987, I'm pretty sure. But she is being made for other markets in Europe at that time in wherever the NC factory is...so it makes sense for you to have her.

It's kind of like the Sweetberry ponies and the forelock/not thing. The same pony, advertised using the US images and stuff, ultimately not quite the same when it comes to production, and made in a different place. Ditto the fancy pants babies. And so on. Why not Sundance? It makes sense to think of her in terms of her time frame not her place of manufacture.

I mean, we've seen French and Italian ponies on card that matches US artwork, right? This isn't really that different...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 01:22:25 PM »
@Taffeta: yes, that makes sense of course! I am amazed by the knowledge!!
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Perikoala

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »
But hang on, that German box...isn't it the same as the UK box from 1986 (at least the front)? In German? In a Spanish ad? With TAF Megan and Sundance in it? Either they just shoved whatever they had together, or something very odd went on in Europe with that set o.o.

Ha! I did notice she was the TAF version but not that she was in a diferent box  :lol: I can't find any German box to compare, welp... Its not the only German or foreigner thing MB offered to little Spanish girls. I found two catalogs where they raffled very limited numbers of Paradise States and some Prize Day & Picnic Day ponies (and from what I can see I think they're the German variant). Nonetheless I've never seen these ponies/playset in Spain, nor in second-hand markets. The description to get them, already says it all.

"And even more ... if you send another 2 horseshoes and 175 pesetas (1,05€) on stamps you can get one of these 2 ponies unpublished in Spain.".

I leave them here, I think you'd find them interesting (not my pics, though).

Spoiler

Anyway, talking about NCs, I'm quite skeptical with the NCs Sundae Best Ponies, Windy Wings, etc are made in Spain. They're exactly the same as the international versions and don't have the typical traits of Spanish ponies apart from the country removal. But they were definitely sold in Spain (and the card says 'made in Spain'...) so I don't know what was happening  :dizzy:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 03:52:50 PM »
Very interesting. The PE pictures are the same as the ones in the 1987 Hasbro catalogue with the Paradise prototype  :cry: she's so pretty. The Brush & Grow image has the US pose Twisty Tail but they used that promo image here too (that said, we did have the US set here too, sigh, thank you Woolworths for making it complicated).

I think the peach Sweet Clover is continental European, not just Germany. But I don't have that insert in Spanish and I have no idea what was sold there. Also the peach Sweet Clover was also used to promote the set here in the UK where we had the pink one in actual stores.

I think Hasbro are just...nuts in Europe.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal