collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where were NC Ponies sold?  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Where were NC Ponies sold?
« on: October 03, 2018, 01:57:18 AM »
So, I think the general consensus is that No Country ponies were made in Spain.
I know they were sold in the UK, as my girlfriend has some that were in her childhood collection.
But where else were they sold? I recently bought a No Country Applejack (in Collector's Pose) for my Applejack army (yay!) and she's coming from Switzerland. Were NC ponies sold there, or has she travelled? I like to try and guess at my ponies' history :).

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Re: Where were NC Ponies sold?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 05:28:53 AM »
NC Sundance was sold in Scandinavia at least. Both me and my sister has her. Now that you mention CP Applejack, I want to check out my childhood CP Bowtie too! Although I think she is HK ;)
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 10:07:42 AM »
By NC do you mean Spain NC? There are a number of countries that had NC markings ;)

NC Spain ponies were distributed around Europe, but also "travelled" in peoples suitcases as gifts or treats bought on holiday ;) :)

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 02:37:49 PM »
Oh no O.O PKW, the pandora box got opened again! Not the NC Ponies!

@Shaz - the only NC ponies that I am 100% sure were sold in the UK are Sundance (both years of release) and some of the parent ponies to the loving families.

But we have some questions about whether they are always made in Spain or not. And there are a lot of other NC ponies not made in Spain, but Sundance and the family ponies are usually associated with Spanish. Even though we really don't know for sure. (Sundance's box for 1986 I think says made in Hong Kong but I can check that if need be. I have the image here somewhere.).

Otherwise I know that some of the NC ponies were sold in France and in Spain. And this is where I hand over to PKW ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 03:01:49 PM »
It's.. complicated. First of all, ALL Sundances sold in Europe are no-countries for whatever reason. Apparently also loving families had both nc and hk versions of them sold around Europe. For other ncs, I do not know have they ever been sold outside of France and Spain, but some of them seem quite common. As far as I know though, it's not like with italians that were sold in most european countries beside their "normal" releases.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 03:07:42 PM »
It's.. complicated. First of all, ALL Sundances sold in Europe are no-countries for whatever reason. Apparently also loving families had both nc and hk versions of them sold around Europe.

Also China, at least here in the UK. But we had the sets from the US imported as well via Hasbro...so I don't know how many Chinese ones were on card.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 03:25:38 PM »
It's.. complicated. First of all, ALL Sundances sold in Europe are no-countries for whatever reason. Apparently also loving families had both nc and hk versions of them sold around Europe.

Also China, at least here in the UK. But we had the sets from the US imported as well via Hasbro...so I don't know how many Chinese ones were on card.

I don't own any of the loving family ponies so I took a quess in the dark on were they HK or China, whooops. Thanks for correcting.
...actualy I do and I really did forget I have one I could have confirmed with

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »

I don't own any of the loving family ponies so I took a quess in the dark on were they HK or China, whooops. Thanks for correcting.
...actualy I do and I really did forget I have one I could have confirmed with

I think there are some HK ones. This one is a grey area for me. China is more common in my experience here, but given we had imports and proper Uk release and NC...I really don't know what was going on and I'm not sure if Hasbro did either :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Perikoala

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 03:37:54 PM »

But we have some questions about whether they are always made in Spain or not. And there are a lot of other NC ponies not made in Spain, but Sundance and the family ponies are usually associated with Spanish. Even though we really don't know for sure. (Sundance's box for 1986 I think says made in Hong Kong but I can check that if need be. I have the image here somewhere.).

Funny enough Sundance was never released in Spain, as fas as I know. There is a Spanish pamphlet in which 100 Megan and Sundances were raffled and the box shown is the German one, but I don't know anyone who got it that can provide some detail :shrug:

Spoiler

Both NC and HK Loving Families were released in Spain (and I think all cards say made in Spain). I have an UK card of NC Daddy Bright Bouquet and it says Made in Spain, that may be the reason.

Spoiler
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 03:39:54 PM by Perikoala »

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 03:56:01 PM »
I have found three NC Sundance and I own two. I really doubt they are Spanish. Since they seem pretty common in Europe (I found mine in Belgium) and they have blue eyes, I figured they might be made in Italy or simply HK  and got their hooves scratched off for some reason.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 12:56:13 AM »
I have bought three NC ponies in South Africa, so I think we can say that they were sold here as well. Which makes sense as we also had Scandinavian Truly and Cupcake.

The three ponies I found were: Mommy Apple Delight, Mommy Bright Bouquet and Bubblefish (Wriggle Pocket - just for you Taffeta).

My friend (ZuluSeashell) also bought the Surprise Twins Mommy in South Africa, and she is also NC. However she is the only one we have seen so far, so we are unsure as to whether she was sold here or not.

I also have NC Sundance, who I bought in the Netherlands.

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 01:34:15 AM »
In Sweden we had NC Lemon Drop with the showstable, NC baby Lemon Drop with the stroller (pink stroller), and I think also NC Sundance.  I'm not sure about the Family ponies.

I have the swedish sold NC Baby Lemon Drop MIB, and the box says "made in Valencia, Spain". So I'm pretty sure both her and her mother are spanish.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 03:59:57 AM »
I have a question regarding Sundance and Megan. My Sundance is NC, as posted before. My sister’s is too. But I always thought that they were the US releases. Why you ask? Because of Megan’s outfit. This is my childhood Megan and Sundance:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/katinthewoods/7545166214/in/album-72157630928483042/

So, what happened? Are they US versions or something else? The reason I ask is because I read somewhere recently that the US version were HK...
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 05:38:35 AM »
I think that was the same version we had here as well.
I have a question regarding Sundance and Megan. My Sundance is NC, as posted before. My sister’s is too. But I always thought that they were the US releases. Why you ask? Because of Megan’s outfit. This is my childhood Megan and Sundance:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/katinthewoods/7545166214/in/album-72157630928483042/

So, what happened? Are they US versions or something else? The reason I ask is because I read somewhere recently that the US version were HK...

I think that is the version we had here as well.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 05:52:20 AM »
US versions of Sundance are made in HK.

Perikoala, that image is great. Also another great weird. That's TAF Megan and Sundance. I'm not at all surprised that that set was sold in Germany, they had stuff we didn't get, but...in a Spanish advert? And then there's another great weird.

This (from the Wiki) is what the US box for that set looks like:
Spoiler

But look! What might this be?
Spoiler
Yep, 1986 UK Megan and Sundance MIB.

But hang on, that German box...isn't it the same as the UK box from 1986 (at least the front)? In German? In a Spanish ad? With TAF Megan and Sundance in it? Either they just shoved whatever they had together, or something very odd went on in Europe with that set o.o.

Please note that box says made in China, but that seems to be a stuck on label. I am now going to look for pics of my M&S box to see because I think it's printed on mine, whatever it is, and I don't remember if it specifies difference for doll/pony or not.

Edit to add: My box says Made in China, it's printed on the side flap. It doesn't specify which bits were made in China though. I guess that is meant to imply all of it.

*gives cookies to NightGlider for Wriggle Pocket* ;)

I have never seen a NC Pocket pony in person. Just pictures. My childhood Wriggle P is Chinese. There are a lot of weird variations for that set, but most of them are Chinese. The NC ones...I have seen Chinese ones on Spanish card so I don't totally know how they happened.

On that same note, in my army of Mischief, I have a NC Baby Mischief that came from someone's UK childhood collection.

Re Family ponies - I don't have a card for an adult family pony, only the back of the US box and baby pony cards for 2 of the boys. But I have a feeling I've had this conversation before with people and the cards have said HK or China on them but the pony isn't necessarily matching. I know that we have Baby Buggy boxes here which say baby Cuddles is made in Spain, but she isn't. She's uniformly Hong Kong. And the Kitchen playset was made in Spain, so was Kiss Curl's Grooming Parlour (in some iterations, I don't know if they all were, but there are some variations in the kitten that ask questions about this). Kiss Curl has at least 3 variations, but I'm not aware of there being a Spanish or NC one.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:58:41 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal