collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLPMerch.com Update! Online Check- and Wishlist of all generations! + Notes  (Read 3772 times)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html

I have an initial reaction to something: the word Gimmick.

I don't particularly like this word, especially when speaking as a collector. And I've generally seen it used in a negative mindset where collecting is concerned. So that's one thing I see that kind of made me cringe.
I'm not aware of anything negative around that word :huh:

As far as MLP goes then I've seen mainly G4 fans use this word in a negative way to describe anything that came before G4. As in I've had comments/replies like: the only way G1 sold ponies was because it had so many gimmicks. I've had these kind of statements directed at me multiple times by G4 fans when discussing G1 or as I pointed out anything pre-g4.

So, it's one reason, but the general use of the word implies marketing/advertising to sell a product, etc. I don't know in terms of collecting if its a word others use a lot or if other collecting communities use this in their general lingo when describing their collection.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, I'm just pointing out something that I've experienced but also a word I've never really used when describing my collection. I don't generally call my collection gimmicky or a gimmick :/

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile

I don't particularly like this word, especially when speaking as a collector. And I've generally seen it used in a negative mindset where collecting is concerned. So that's one thing I see that kind of made me cringe.

I liked it!

Everyone has their own opinion but The word gimmick is more used in my experience for selling/advertising. Or, you'd say something like: we need a gimmick to sell this product, etc.

In laymen terms, It also tends to mean something that cannot sell on it's own so it needs some sort of deception or distraction to sell.

Thanks for clarifying, this is something that I personally underestimated as a non-native English speaker. I think 'feature' would be a better alternative? Will change this soon :)

TBH, you aren't wrong though. They are gimmicks, and I've never found that term to be negative.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, I'm just pointing out something that I've experienced but also a word I've never really used when describing my collection. I don't generally call my collection gimmicky or a gimmick :/
See. I do.
Ballerina ponies, flutter wings, glow in the dark details. All of these gimmicks.

And I've always embraced it :/ so it's an to each their own.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 02:49:58 PM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile

I liked it!

Everyone has their own opinion but The word gimmick is more used in my experience for selling/advertising. Or, you'd say something like: we need a gimmick to sell this product, etc.

In laymen terms, It also tends to mean something that cannot sell on it's own so it needs some sort of deception or distraction to sell.

Thanks for clarifying, this is something that I personally underestimated as a non-native English speaker. I think 'feature' would be a better alternative? Will change this soon :)

I'm not trying to make you change anything if you feel comfortable with the word, it's not the end of the world. I've just seen it used in a negative way when directed at collecting and have had it directed at me as a collector.

I don't know what we use traditionally when talking about aspects of ponies traits.
I'd say sets, but then that would be confusing as not all Twice as fancy ponies are in the same 'set'. Features or feature might be okay. I'd have to think about it.

Interestingly, I just did a google look up of other words for Gimmick and FlimFlam is a synonym (LOL)
Synonyms of gimmick
artifice, device, dodge, fetch, flimflam, gambit, jig, juggle, knack, play, ploy, ruse, scheme, shenanigan, sleight, stratagem, trick, wile

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
I don't know what we use traditionally when talking about aspects of ponies

Pre-G4 this forum still used the word gimmick.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
I use MLPmerch a lot for G4, and I like your website design :) I can understand that you worked long hours on this, and what I saw of the G1 section on US releases it looks great. However, I have to agree with Taffeta on the G1 section called “nirvana”, though (maybe not a big surprise :P).

I’m not sure where you got your information on G1 releases outside the US, but just by a brief look through it I spotted quite a lot of wrong information. I’m also confused of the structure as some of the ponies are put into what is their “official” set name, and others have been put into sets with names that I have never seen or heard of before? Even though they do have official set names. I am confused because when I look at the US releases they are sorted after sets correctly, but the “nirvanas” are a mix and match between sets and gimmicks. I think it could be a good idea to double-check your sources for the information you have used in this section :)

I know that the pony releases outside of the US is messy and difficult. I’ve spent over 10 years understanding a very small portion of those releases. I know of other collectors who have spent much more time doing the same. And we know so much more now thanks to all those who spent hour after hour searching for information. I’ve spent MANY hours on this myself- researching especially the releases in Scandinavia and Northern Europe.  Many of those hours were spent looking through faulty information. Information that is wrong, but is still sitting on the web and being used as something that is true. Due to this I am cautious on where I go to find information on anything MLP that is not a US release. Unfortunately, your “nirvana” section has too many issues with the information as it is today. I will not use it due to that.

However, I will definitely still use your G4 section and probably also your G1 site for US releases :)

Oh, and by the way; I use the word gimmick to describe ponies too ;) In a positive way :P
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Feature does sound a bit more respectable than gimmick, I'm just used to saying "gimmick".

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
@Ossie -thank you for taking that on board.

I have no idea about the technicalities of this, or what is and isn't possible.

I am going to ask though why some of the International ponies are listed under years (Mountain Boys for example) and others not. I may be totally misunderstanding the tech, but is it harder to move the International ponies to the main database and leave Nirvana to Nirvana? Because basically you have them in 2 databases, right? And so you'd just be shifting one set of data to the other.

I think the problem may be that the US system doesn't really make adding ponies from outside easy. I mean, there are extra years to incorporate and then there are different release timelines and stuff. And I can't work out if you are or are not including variations, because some are there (Buttons, Tutti Frutti) and some not (UK Cherries Jubilee). But if you did away with the 'year' label and just had 1982-3, 1983-4 etc, would that not work? At least as an approximation?

I can give specific details if need be, but the NSS category is horrible. It's like looking at a website classification from 15 years ago; not one from 2018. We're working really hard over here to get rid of that term anyway, as it's not productive. But yeah. Paradise doesn't actually exist in that form, and the Posey you reference is actually the one you have pictured for year 3. There's a lot of stuff that isn't quite...right in the INternational section and its organisation. I take that bit seriously because it's so hard to get rid of bad information once it's up online and in circulation. I think the fact you have some of these errors proves that, because some online sites still have bad information about sets and years and ponies.

I'm sorry if I seem pedantic about these details, but in a pony sense I've spent the last 2 decades researching and trying to correct information online about the international releases. And it's frustrating for me to see the same errors or new ones repeated across new sites or updates when much more information is available to make a better and more accurate resource.

And whatever system you use, I think it's fair to ask you to include correct pony information for all sets, not just the ones in the US.

*gives Katrine cookies* you posted as I was writing this :)

Gonna let the Nirvana people deal with the Nirvana/International thing, but there's been a ton of stuff in discussion on the Nirvana forum over what is and isn't a Nirvana, so I suspect they might have comments to make on that as well.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:42:45 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Feature does sound a bit more respectable than gimmick, I'm just used to saying "gimmick".

Just sayin'

I think I've used gimmick to describe how a pony is sold, I don't know if I would call my twice as fancy ponies  a gimmick :p. I mean I get why it might be easy to use that word but I don't know, it just feels a bit off.

Maybe I'm just stubborn or being confusing, but as you point out, it sort of feels more like the word isn't what you'd use as a ID site term. It's more like a conversation word or even...hum, it's more the 'how' not the 'what' of the pony.

That's probably even more confusing,

anyway, I said I'm not trying to be a jerk, but maybe I am it's more I was trying to be helpful. I don't know that I've ever seen another collector ID site call their ponies 'gimmick' to explain the ponies style :p But I could be wrong on that, but whatever makes people happy.

I just feel like there must be a better word than gimmick :)

Offline emily_katie

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Bush 'n' Grow Gal
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
I like it :) I only collect G1 so didn't have an account before, but I have created an account and filled in who I have :) I admit it was tricky sometimes from a UK standpoint but everything is a work in progress and you have done a fab job so far! Now how do I get a cool signature thing like yours  :lol: :lol:
Edit: I figured it out!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:28:48 PM by emily_katie »

IG: Pastels_Parade
                                                       Tumblr: Pastel-Parade

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile

*gives Katrine cookies* you posted as I was writing this :)

Cookies!! *grabs them all and eats them insanely fast* :yummy:

Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Personally I do think of Brush 'n Grows, color-changing, drink 'n wet, twirling tails, etc, as gimmicks.  "Feature" does sound a bit more respectable, but "gimmick" is more honest IMO. 

At the end of the day I don't really care which word is used, though. 

Gimmick.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Personally I do think of Brush 'n Grows, color-changing, drink 'n wet, twirling tails, etc, as gimmicks.  "Feature" does sound a bit more respectable, but "gimmick" is more honest IMO. 

At the end of the day I don't really care which word is used, though. 

Gimmick.

This is getting so hardcore on the vocab. I have to admit when someone says Gimmick I think of the Jem/Misfits music video Gimme a Gimmick. I kind of don't think of it as a positive term either.

Theme? Feature? Concept? I think I'd be more likely to use that than gimmick personally.

But I can live with gimmick if the information is made correct.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Theme / concept would work for things like the Rainbow ponies, but not things like "my tail twirls when you twist my knob" or "my tail twirls when you squeeze my stomach" IMO.  (Hasbro loves spinning tails, lol.)  "Concept" suggests something abstract to me?  Like, an artistic concept.  Or else someone having a "concept" for a toy they haven't made yet.  I don't think it fits in well with the "ponies that DO things" set.

Maybe action feature?

But I will say I don't think "gimmick" needs to be viewed as a pejorative.  Transformers are based on a gimmick: they convert from vehicle to robot.  It's totally a gimmick.  A great gimmick.  (Once it became commonplace in TF, Hasbro made a line of "Action Masters" whose gimmick was . . . they DIDN'T transform.  :P )
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Theme / concept would work for things like the Rainbow ponies, but not things like "my tail twirls when you twist my knob" or "my tail twirls when you squeeze my stomach" IMO.  (Hasbro loves spinning tails, lol.)  "Concept" suggests something abstract to me?  Like, an artistic concept.  Or else someone having a "concept" for a toy they haven't made yet.  I don't think it fits in well with the "ponies that DO things" set.

Maybe action feature?

But I will say I don't think "gimmick" needs to be viewed as a pejorative.  Transformers are based on a gimmick: they convert from vehicle to robot.  It's totally a gimmick.  A great gimmick.  (Once it became commonplace in TF, Hasbro made a line of "Action Masters" whose gimmick was . . . they DIDN'T transform.  :P )

Theme would still work for all of them. Considering it would be a theme. Just because your tale swings and swishes back and forth doesn't mean it's not the 'theme' of the set you are in. Theme would cover a majority of it I think.

Gimmick IMO just makes it sound cheap.

Besides, I proved many years ago MLP was superior to Transformer toys by smashing my cousins toy robots. Yea, I was proving a point. (Apparently I have a theme as well) So I don't feel like subjugating my ponies to transformerland's gimmicks.

And this might sound like it's coming from someone who doesn't like transformers but I do (I own a few actually), but for science purposes some transformers and GIJoe had to die to answer the question which toy was stronger and better: MLP, Transformers or GIJoe. So we were the original mythbusters back in the day.

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
Concrete errors in terms of the Nirvana Ponies (with proof), missing info like release years etc can all be PM'ed to me. I want to fix it I promise. But I can't do it in one day. :P
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 10:49:24 PM by TornadoTwist »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal