collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If you could make the next generation, what would you like to see?  (Read 7431 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: If you could make the next generation, what would you like to see?
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2018, 11:24:53 AM »
I'd just like to see really nice, dreamy pony vibes - a cute, unapologetically flamboyant art style (curly hair, sparkles, swirls, rainbows, glitter, stars - throw the fabulous kitchen sink at it!!!); gimmicks into infinity and plenty of variety with characters, poses and colours.
No blind bags, no mysteries. A surprise extra toy in a set of characters is fine, because that is a nice bit of fun

;o; this sounds so perfect.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2018, 11:44:24 AM »
You know what would be a neat gimmick? Mystery Babies. I mean like how Breyer does it. The parents are in plain view, but the baby is hidden behind a cardboard barn door and has mixed traits from both parents.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2018, 11:54:45 AM »
You know what would be a neat gimmick? Mystery Babies. I mean like how Breyer does it. The parents are in plain view, but the baby is hidden behind a cardboard barn door and has mixed traits from both parents.

They shouldn't drop out of a trap door from the belly? XD

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »
I'd just like to see really nice, dreamy pony vibes - a cute, unapologetically flamboyant art style (curly hair, sparkles, swirls, rainbows, glitter, stars - throw the fabulous kitchen sink at it!!!); gimmicks into infinity and plenty of variety with characters, poses and colours.
No blind bags, no mysteries. A surprise extra toy in a set of characters is fine, because that is a nice bit of fun

I love this!!!!!! This would be my ideal generation, if Hasbro was catering specifically to me ;) I love cutesy and girly ponies, but for playsets I LOVE the "gold-and-gemstones" aesthetic or whatever you wanna call it that Filly has going on.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2018, 12:29:54 PM »

:haha: That is an amazing mental image, playing with a pony like "Ooh, what's this?!" and suddenly there's a random tiny horse out of nowhere.

I love this!!!!!! This would be my ideal generation, if Hasbro was catering specifically to me ;) I love cutesy and girly ponies, but for playsets I LOVE the "gold-and-gemstones" aesthetic or whatever you wanna call it that Filly has going on.

!!!
Wow, that is a really gorgeous playset - such a glamorous vibe! :D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:32:07 PM by Miniature Sheep »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »

:lmao:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2018, 01:20:15 PM »

The dread horror of repeating the Missile Launcher that is Mummy Pony O.O

I mean they kind of did that with Surprise Twins. The surprise being whether or not your eye gets poked out by the infants' first flight...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2018, 01:51:42 PM »

I mean they kind of did that with Surprise Twins. The surprise being whether or not your eye gets poked out by the infants' first flight...

Sounds like there is a personal story attatched to that one Taf.  :lol: Care to share?  :shifty:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2018, 01:55:21 PM »

Sounds like there is a personal story attatched to that one Taf.  :lol: Care to share?  :shifty:

I have a clumsy sister who rather enthusiastically opened ponies as a kid. Nuff said?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
Oh how I love that Mummy Pony with the fetus launcher belly!  I got mine a few years ago.  I'd never seen it work in person until I had my own in hand, and boy was I surprised how fast that projectile can go!  Though I didn't get a really good story to go with my first attempt at pony launching.  My "horrifically dangerous UK toy" story goes to the Red Dwarf Starbug set.   It's got a missile launcher feature("launch probe"), and I noticed that it REALLY works when I originally was messing with it.  The "probe" flew across the largest room in the house and hit the wall with a smack the first time I tried it.  I had the good sense to point it way from myself that first time.  I handed it to my husband when he got home to show it off, and *just* as I was telling him to be careful with the missile feature, he pushed the button.  He launched that probe right into his balls at point blank range. 
I didn't know he could make those kinds of sounds. I did warn him!

What is it with UK toys? 
:p

As for answering the question  - If I could make the next generation, I'd do completely away with the whole Core 7/Mane 6 concept.  No more repeated ponies!  All new ponies!  All the time!  And lots of accessories.  Good accessories too, not just the same boring things repeated over and over. And real cloth clothes - no more snap on garbage.  Due to space issues, I did like the G4's size(though I know that's not popular), so I'd go with small again if the choice was up to me.  Though the #1 thing would be the no Core 7/Mane 6 garbage.  Anything else would be gravy!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2018, 02:53:28 PM »

What is it with UK toys? 
We aim to maim ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2018, 07:04:41 AM »
*NO INTERACTION WITH FANDOM
  ~It's fantastic people are enthusiastic about the show! And an occasional nod is fantastic but no more letting fandom dictate
   characters and the overall tone of the show!

This is something that I have to disagree with in spades.

Granted, it's a double-edged sword and I can see why it's frustrating from some perspectives, but I think it's over-all good when the fandom is included. It brings the product "home" and makes it much more relatable and more "real" to the fans.

In fact, it was genius of them with G4 to turn it into Slice of Life. They have been able to cleverly hide references to popular fan theories and that is the kind of thing that keeps them engaged. It means that they did their job but the fans sold their product for them- they talked about it and made it relevant. Seriously, any marketing, writing and producing team would be set if they were in that position- the fans made it easy, and it worked then in the favor of the fans that the studio was so open to make the world something that the fans could help create.

While the end result of that can sometimes be a bit awkward, you may actually see more of this coming around in the future, not only here with MLP G4. The idea of "community interaction" has been popularized by Youtubers with their small fan bases, and now there are more syndicated premium TV channel content that are following that example because it makes it more human, more relatable, and, therefore, more profitable.

Being that this was the first time (that I am aware of, anyway- I could be wrong, but this is a prominent example at the least) that any sort of community interaction between the studio's team and the fans happened, it obviously needs a lot more in the way of planning and management to avoid such heavy tonal shifts between episodes, but it is a process that has the potential to be perfected when your producing team is on the right page with each other while keeping that eagerness to please on a leash.

At the least, I do hope that G4 has been a good learning process and any subsequent generations will do it better. This is all one large contributing factor to the fandom being so engrossed in it, and if it's taken away, then it wouldn't have the same magic to such a diverse set of people. The fans would peter off and it wouldn't have the staying power that G4 has gained, and that may have had a negative impact on anything else from here on out.

Fun fact: This community interaction is something that Hasbro should pay attention to. This is the face-forward reason to show the studio why it's important for character diversity, and that would translate well to the toys. They are missing out on a lot of $$$$ because the toy line was made of such light materials that shipping the toys costs more than manufacturing them (such as, seeing repeats of the mane 6 in "The Movie" playset packs).

tl;dr: I'd continue this as a marketing strategy for my own generation, myself.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2018, 07:22:32 AM »
Oh how I love that Mummy Pony with the fetus launcher belly!  I got mine a few years ago.  I'd never seen it work in person until I had my own in hand, and boy was I surprised how fast that projectile can go!  Though I didn't get a really good story to go with my first attempt at pony launching.  My "horrifically dangerous UK toy" story goes to the Red Dwarf Starbug set.   It's got a missile launcher feature("launch probe"), and I noticed that it REALLY works when I originally was messing with it.  The "probe" flew across the largest room in the house and hit the wall with a smack the first time I tried it.  I had the good sense to point it way from myself that first time.  I handed it to my husband when he got home to show it off, and *just* as I was telling him to be careful with the missile feature, he pushed the button.  He launched that probe right into his balls at point blank range. 
I didn't know he could make those kinds of sounds. I did warn him!

What is it with UK toys? 

As for answering the question  - If I could make the next generation, I'd do completely away with the whole Core 7/Mane 6 concept.  No more repeated ponies!  All new ponies!  All the time!  And lots of accessories.  Good accessories too, not just the same boring things repeated over and over. And real cloth clothes - no more snap on garbage.  Due to space issues, I did like the G4's size(though I know that's not popular), so I'd go with small again if the choice was up to me.  Though the #1 thing would be the no Core 7/Mane 6 garbage.  Anything else would be gravy!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: At the Red Star Missile Launcher!

GoddessofPeep If it's not  a hassle, could we get a video of Mummy Missile Launcher and twins in action pretty please?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:25:34 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2018, 07:32:32 AM »

I would also do that for my gen, just not the way they did it with FiM.
My gen wouldn't be geared towards nerds but kids, so any fan theories or characters that would come from adults I would straight up ignore.
I would pay attention to what kids want and what characters and stories they respond to.
I would never bring in internet memes and avoid real people lookalikes in order not to date the show too much.

For the adult market I would introduce a Legacy Line that creates repros and special collectors items for older fans and multi gen households where kids are aware of older MLP due to their parents or siblings.
I would also keep up liscensing out to other companies to create crossovers with my gen. Similar to what Hasbro does right now. Except I would not limit these liscenses to a few characters (Purple/Pink/Blue syndrome) but all that prove to be popular.
Same with the Legacy Line that would honor more characters than just the first few G1s.

Merch wouldn't repeat the same characters, either. I would employ "taste watchers" who observe online how fans interact with the brand and what they wish for. Instead of the same shirt with Rainbow ponies on I would follow trends and gear the look and characters towards that. I would also keep supporting conventions with exclusives like Hasbro used to do.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2018, 09:37:59 AM »

I would also do that for my gen, just not the way they did it with FiM.
My gen wouldn't be geared towards nerds but kids, so any fan theories or characters that would come from adults I would straight up ignore.
I would pay attention to what kids want and what characters and stories they respond to.
I would never bring in internet memes and avoid real people lookalikes in order not to date the show too much.

I agree with this. I don't see a problem interacting with fans. I see one being influenced by fans. It is the rot of many a fandom when the fans start to influence what goes on in the bigger picture. I had to listen to much complaining about the impact of fandom on Harry Potter some years ago from my former flatmate and good friend xD and it's not the only thing. Bleach was utterly ruined by pandering to a small subsection of the fandom, which ultimately killed the manga completely...although in the case of that one they tried to pander to the target audience by stereotypically throwing in a ton of fights and forgetting to link any of this with actual plot...so everyone basically stopped reading it, instead of it just not being the top shounen manga any more. Don't even get me started on fans in the Jem community either :/

My point being that toy lines and concepts and stories are there to be created by creators, not by fans. They are there to inspire fans to draw pictures, write stories, create fan media. But that fan media etc is not there to influence the actual core concept. It's there as a base to inspire other imagination. Its not a vehicle for a subset of a fandom's ego, which is what has basically derailed parts of G4.

But G1 interacted with the fandom at the child level. There was the fan club in various countries. In the UK at least the comic had a letters page and for a while featured stories written by the readers, as well as photos of people's collections. Our club also had the nameless baby who we adopted and then had help to care for, and kids were encouraged to write into the club to share the names, the ideas, anything else regarding this.

Obviously that was paperbased and snailmail because it was the 1980s. But having a (moderated) web space or some kind of digital equivalent in which the toys and the people collecting them can interact around them is good. Having the toy or the product in general pander to the fandom is bad. If you can't write and create your own concept without constantly needing to be shored up by a bunch of people whose chief aim in life is to create memes to spam their friends, then you really need a reboot. At least in my opinion.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal