collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FiM S8 Ep23: Sounds of Silence  (Read 1245 times)

Offline TravelingTwinkler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • ~ to travel is to live ~
    • View Profile
FiM S8 Ep23: Sounds of Silence
« on: September 30, 2018, 12:39:38 PM »
What does everyone think about this Rachel Bloom episode? As a Crazy Ex-Girlfriend fan, I'm admittedly biased but there are little moments strewn throughout this ep that reinforce why I'm not only an MLP fan, but also a fan of great writing and comedic timing. Here's a few fav moments:

Spoiler
+ Lessons in listening; Apple Jack is so bent on the quest, she forgets to pay close attention to her bestie, Fluttershy, who is such a good listener she loses sight of the bigger picture

+ Renouncing the chance for love and happiness because anger and heartbreak hurts; the Kirin turn into angry monsters at the first moment of disagreement so they take a vow of silence, but they realize it's not what triggers the anger, it's how they channel that anger that's truly important

+ Autumn Blaze's incredible song! First, the cringe-inducing-breaking-out-into-song trope that reminds me so much of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Autumn Blaze has been alone in the woods for so long that she's made Wilson-type friends a la Castaway and has even NAMED her shadow. Just a perfectly kooky character for Rachel Bloom to play

+ Cheap laughs still worthwhile; the station master pony laughing maniacally! Autumn Blaze's hoof puppet. Autumn Blaze naming her shadow

Not ashamed to say I watched it again today and laughed again! :biggrin:

Episode link: https://dai.ly/x6ti30s

—mari

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

{ formerly know as OGTwinkler }

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: FiM S8 Ep23: Sounds of Silence
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 12:44:15 PM »
This is one of the few episodes I was excited to watch! I love the Kirins, although I am a bit sad that most of them are the standard pony model with extra bits and bobs thrown on. I suppose with the introduction of the student six I was expecting a new model, although I can understand how frustrating it must be to design one.
I'm not familiar with the voice actress although she did a great job. I love bubbly characters like this.
I also just love Applejack and Fluttershy episodes, like the one in Las Pegasus was a fun one.
I'm hoping for more episodes like this in season 9!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline TravelingTwinkler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • ~ to travel is to live ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 04:21:22 PM »
This is one of the few episodes I was excited to watch! I love the Kirins, although I am a bit sad that most of them are the standard pony model with extra bits and bobs thrown on. I suppose with the introduction of the student six I was expecting a new model, although I can understand how frustrating it must be to design one.
I'm not familiar with the voice actress although she did a great job. I love bubbly characters like this.
I also just love Applejack and Fluttershy episodes, like the one in Las Pegasus was a fun one.
I'm hoping for more episodes like this in season 9!
The Kirin design definitely owed a lot to the core pony design, although
Spoiler
turning into fiery pony spirits was an interesting twist!
I dug the scales and glowing, curved horns though.

And Rachel Bloom definitely does bubbly very well. She's best known for her role in Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Here's the Season 1 opener for reference, which is basically what the entire show is about explained in 32 seconds. :biggrin: https://youtu.be/qzY3EaJTuJk The premise may sound off-putting at times, but it really gets to delve into relatable male and female double-standards through some incredibly well-produced musical numbers.

More of these episodes please! FiM is at its best when it's slightly self-aware and dance along the edge of breaking the fourth wall. Oh and catchy songs too!
* hunts for Pinkie Pie's cupcake song *

What are some of your FiM song favs?

—mari

{ formerly know as OGTwinkler }

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 06:23:01 AM »
I watched this on today. I really enjoyed it.  :) I like Autumn Blaze she has just the right amount of bubbly/excited instead of it being over the top like that one griffin chatacter that wanted to earn a cutie mark. I loved the song.

Spoiler
I was surprised to see the Phantom of the Opera reference.  I liked how Fluttershy stood up for herself with Applejack when she was trying to get her to listen that she knew an easier way to the Kirin realm.

I had to laugh at Applejack taking the hard way to the Kirin realm only to have to do it again in reverse.

I like how the Kirin can transform into those fire ponies and that they learned that it’s okay to get angry sometimes.

I’m a little dissapointed that Mistmane wasn’t mentioned since she is a Kirin. It looks like the Kirin were so isolated from other ponies that they thought all ponies could turn in to fire ponies since they were going to force Applejack and Fluttershy in to the river.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 02:00:04 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 04:33:35 AM »
Wasn't really thrilled by the episode. Autum Blaze seemed like Pinkie Pie on steroids. Song was okay.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 07:02:32 AM »
I was happy to finally see Applejack and Fluttershy do something after several episodes of primarily Twilight and the other three. Also, love the Kirins!
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal