collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Ponies Won You Over?  (Read 3584 times)

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: What Ponies Won You Over?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2018, 10:20:52 AM »
In the beginning of my MLP collecting, like really early, just a couple months in back when I first got into it in 2011, I wasn't really huge on the 3.5s, but that last for really only a couple months and it didn't take me long to love them too. Now I think they're super cute and my only gripe with them is that it's all Core 7.

Can't really think of anything else, I've kind of always been the type of collector where there are no ponies where I look at them and think "I don't want her in my collection". I've got ones that are actively on my wishlist, and ones that aren't but I've never really had any that I would actually pass up (hence why I vote "want her/him" on every POTD, doesn't necessarily mean the pony is on my active wishlist, but there's none I would ever choose "pass" for), I like them all to the extent that I would at least add them to my collection if I came across them thrifting or in a lot online with other ponies I want.

The closest thing I can really think of is for years, like up until about a year ago, I wasn't interested at all in fakies. I'd end up with some in thrift bags and I would just donate them back to the thrift stores, but last October (?) I started collecting them. It's become fun for me to see how other companies attempt to cash in on MLP's popularity through their own colorful pony toys. Some do it decently, and others are really silly and questionable looking and that makes them fun to collect in their own right. And there are fakies I just genuinely love as their own thing, like Lanards. Most fakies I just end up with via thrifting and I keep them, but Lanards I now actively search for and collect.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »
I never cared for the G3s much and then I walked past Kiwi Tart. I actually walked past her several times over a couple of weeks before I finally bought her. It was like opening a flood gate and suddenly I had several G3s.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 12:39:44 AM »
For me it was the So Soft ponies. In photo's I could not understand them at all: that flocking just seemed to dull their beautiful vibrant colours. And then I started to get a couple in lots with other ponies that I wanted. As you do. But when I felt that lovely soft flocking I was hooked as I am quite a tactile person  :)

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 12:44:58 AM »
piggy ponies and g2, I love them now

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 01:15:53 PM »
Oh yeah, so soft ponies.  I didn't like those much at first, either.  But then someone sent me So Soft Surprise for my Surprise army, and that did it.

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Online Carebearnmbr46

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 01:18:30 PM »
The g2’s. I wasn’t fond of them initially, but now I really love them.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »
Yes to the G2s! I didn't like them for a while because I wondered why they made them look like doughy giraffes when they could have worked with the Sweetheart Sister mould instead.
But the G2 lore and designs really grew on me.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 02:26:34 PM »
G1 Beach Ball - I had no interested in Beachball until I got one for a friend. She was so pretty in person that I almost didn't send Beachball to her new home

This year a friend was selling her ponies and one of those ponies was Beachball. When I saw she was for sale I agreed to buy her from my friend. 

The G4 Movie baby sea ponies-I thought one would be enough but soon I needed two. I chose Sea Poppy and Lilly Drop and had a lot of fun taking silly pictures of them and adding funny dialogue. Well two sea ponies turned in to a set of 16(8 MOC and 8 open)

G4 Guardian of Harmony Twlight Sparkle- I wasn't really interestied in her or her Changeling opponent until I saw Thorax in the cartoon and decided that her Changeling was the closet Hasbro would come to releasing Thorax. 

I'm sure there are many more but that's all I can think of right now. :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2018, 11:41:58 PM »
Shoreline from the sunshine pony set! I never knew how much I needed her till I saw her in person! Same goes for g2 night glow! Golly she’s so gorgeous and easily now my favorite g2!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline chateaushelton

• Captain Jack Pony
  • When your 8yo discovered the magnetic hooves
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 11:14:19 AM »
For me it was G1 sea ponies. As a child I thought they looked so awkward not being able to stand on their own. They couldn't play in any of the play sets or wear the clothes (and I was a little too old for bath toys). They also only had one small section of hair to brush which I thought was boring.

Today as an adult I have Wavedancer, who is very lovely in her clam shell. I do like having her on display but I still think that series wasn't as much fun as the others.

Online Carebearnmbr46

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 11:27:20 AM »
Yes to the G2s! I didn't like them for a while because I wondered why they made them look like doughy giraffes when they could have worked with the Sweetheart Sister mould instead.
But the G2 lore and designs really grew on me.

:mrgreen:  Haha doughy giraffes!  Doughy giraffes with short necks!  But I agree about the SHS molds. But if they’d used them they may as well have just had updated G1 ponies.   :shrug: But their molds have grown on me since 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 11:30:27 AM by Carebearnmbr46 »

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 01:28:57 AM »
G2s in general recently for me too... kinda. i like them but i never wanted to buy any particular. but now im looking at some on ebay when they show up and kinda going :OO

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 08:08:44 AM »
Twinkle Eyes, G4s, Equestria Girls... lots of ponies. :B I can't think of any 'one' specific pony off the top of my head, though.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 09:05:33 AM »
G4 Kinda won me over. I'm still not super crazy about them. The Water Cuties pulled me in. I'm intent on giving G2 a chance as well.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 02:54:43 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2018, 04:28:49 AM »
Princess ponies - I didn’t like 3D symbols at all for years, and I especially didn’t like the metallic princess symbols. They looked too ‘stuck on’ for me. But I ended up with Royal Blue and Primrose in a lot and decided they weren’t terrible. Now I’m only missing Taffeta. (But I still don’t really like their symbols).

Banana Surprise - I feel like she’s hard to photograph well or something. It wasn’t until I saw her in person that I really liked her.

Sparkle / glow n show - I thought they were properly see through, like the She-Ra horses, and I don’t like that because you can see all the joints and the hair inside. When I saw them in person and realized they weren’t like that, then I really liked them.

Elf

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal