collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New MLP collector site. New Question  (Read 10027 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: New MLP collector site. Would you use?
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2018, 07:48:50 AM »
My tentative suggestion would be to organise as you suggest - by character. Ignore the name variations as they are not important to your site and all of us who use non us names all know all the US ones just fine. And years are going to muddle things.

How about organise as your core basis by character name and by set name. Not set release year or region but just set name. Again defaulting to US set names or organisation where necessary but allowing uniquely euro sets like movie stars to be listed as their own set.

So gusty would be mainly under her name and within that her different versions by set.

I actually think you could get away with basic earth, unicorn and pegasus for the early sets of those species in the US and other places but that might be too much. Just Hasbro UK categorised them all as part of one big category so it wouldn't be without precedent.

Obviously you would also have colour etc as search and organisation terms...but by character and set name over country and year seems logical to me.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:56:08 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
Re: New MLP collector site. Would you use?
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2018, 08:42:25 PM »
Quick question about organizing by characters.  Would adult and babies be the same character?  i.e. Are Baby Applejack and Applejack different versions of the same character?
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: New MLP collector site. New Question
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2018, 09:58:00 PM »
Quick question about organizing by characters.  Would adult and babies be the same character?  i.e. Are Baby Applejack and Applejack different versions of the same character?

Different characters, adult Applejack is the mother of Baby Applejack, same goes for the rest of the babies with matching parents.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2018, 11:03:32 PM »
Honestly I’d love to use this site!
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2018, 01:23:15 AM »
A site that lists by character and then lists the different variations of that character (maybe even including Nirvanas....??) would be amazing and I would definitely use it. So many pony websites list by year and I can never remember which year was which pony, especially when you take into account all the different countries. So listing by character really appeals to me.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2018, 02:35:46 AM »

Different characters, adult Applejack is the mother of Baby Applejack, same goes for the rest of the babies with matching parents.

I agree. Different ponies.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline RavenPaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »
I am really excited by this!  I have my own database of my collection that I made up many years ago.  Entering new ponies into the database is an important part of the spa day ritual for me.  I'm such a nerd when it comes to putting things in databases.  This would be so awesome because it's shared!  Other collectors can see what I have and, even better, what I need and have for trade.  That would be so useful!  I'm definitely on board and looking forward to watching this website develop.  I hope it becomes a big success!

The only thing I find confusing is what you call "mold" I call "species" (earth, Pegasus, Flutter, dragon, dog, etc.)  What I call "mold" is what position a pony is in,  (the Firefly mold, the Moondancer mold, Collector mold, etc.)  I dunno maybe that's just me, and maybe I'm just nit-picky.  I've been called that before.  ;)  But pose and mold are the same thing to me so I got confused at first.  I figured it out though!

And I agree, baby ponies are a different character than the adult with the same name.  The only time I'd throw babies in with mothers is when constructing an army, because in an army the more the better for taking over the world, muahahaha!  ;)
~RavenPaw

Av base by Lady-Cybercat.  Sig base by MoogleyMog

Online Beth3346

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2018, 06:27:27 AM »
yes there is something oddly comforting about organizing ponies in a database. or anything really.

yeah i do think that mold is sort of ambiguous.  species does seem like a better word.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2018, 01:23:32 PM »

I also agree, they are different ponies in my opinion. CP AJ is  a different pony to me than the regular store release for example, she's a distant cousin...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2018, 02:59:12 PM »
Wow, this is looking great! Love the layout, love the database aspect. I'll definitely be signing up when it's ready to go.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:01:24 PM by reanna-mator »
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2018, 06:15:10 AM »

I also agree, they are different ponies in my opinion. CP AJ is  a different pony to me than the regular store release for example, she's a distant cousin...

CP Applejack is a regular store release too. This is kind of why I hope this site of Beth's will move away from the idea of marginalising ponies not sold in the US, because CP AJ was sold in stores here at the same time curly AJ was sold in the US. They're both second edition versions of the original shy pose, but they're also both regular store releases. It just depends on your perspective. Year 2 AJ and CP AJ are both equally common really in the UK, but curly AJ is really hard to get here as she wasn't sold here and we have to import from somewhere. But I still consider her a store release, because she was sold in stores. Just not here :) CP AJ is the same. She was sold in stores across many countries. Just not the US.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Beth3346

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2018, 06:54:15 AM »
Ok sounds good. Moms, dads, and babies different characters.  What about across generations? Personally I view G1 Applejack and G4 Applejack as the same character.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2018, 07:00:37 AM »
Ok sounds good. Moms, dads, and babies different characters.  What about across generations? Personally I view G1 Applejack and G4 Applejack as the same character.

I think probably separate, and the reason is that names shared across generations don't always mean the same pony in terms of features. And if you went down that line, you might then have to consider whether Bright Bramley also fits into that category - why G3 AJ and not Bright Bramley when Bright Bramley has closer colours? And so on.

I'd keep generations separated for the sake of your sanity and for the sake of ease of use by collectors of each generation. Recycled names happen a lot in MLP, even within G1 (in the US at least), so if you start lumping them together between generations because they share a name then you would have to do the same with, say, unicorn Sunbeam and shs Sunbeam...and princess Sunbeam....if that makes sense?

If you didn't, then it would be inconsistent, but if you did, it would be confusing.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Beth3346

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2018, 03:33:47 PM »
Yeah Princesses are definitely separate characters. Same with Unicorn Sparkler and MGR Sparkler.

From a logistics standpoint its really easier to not separate them across generations. All of the information is in a database so i'm not manually adding information to each page.  Its more about making sure that the database is structured in a sane way.

That being said I do think it often makes sense to display generations separately.  Maybe it would make sense to give them the same name but add a filter.  Like have all Applejacks but then collectors could choose only G1s.  It could be interesting to see how the ponies change through each generation.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2018, 05:17:57 PM »
Ultimately it's your site so it's up to you what you do. But from a functional point of view, it is a bit odd to put g3 AJ with G1 AJ and then separate Sparkler and MGR Sparkler. They are all different ponies. Unless you intend to do the same with all Sparklers, Rarities, Sunbeams etc...and simply use the name as a general tag. I think it is important to be consistent, and not everyone will agree that G3 AJ is the same as G1 AJ.

To give a comparison for annoyance level from a user perspective, these days on ebay if you are looking for a G1 AJ and put applejack into the search engine, you get a whole slew of G4 and some G3 as well. Even if it isn't what you are looking for, you still have to wade through the things because they removed the pre and after categories. Same kind of applies here. Just because Ebay can't tell the difference and lumps them all together now doesn't mean that people looking through them are looking for all gens. And the same will be true of collectors. Some won't be interested in G1 AJ at all, after all.

Not to be controversial or anything, but I also don't see G4 AJ as being the same as G1 AJ, just that G4  AJ is based on her design...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal