collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Clocks go back an hour  (Read 14147 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Clocks go back an hour
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 04:23:23 AM »
I am not sure it's about reflectors to be honest. They've been peddling them here since I was a kid and I see them fairly often in the midlands and in London though can't speak for Scotland because I'm not there. I think it's more of a political issue now than it ever has been as well, because of the sensitivities around the union and Scotland's place in it that have been woken up more since the Independence referendum. There are arguments for and against adopting European time or doing away with GMT or BST and they're complicated, but the key factor for me is safety.

I personally hate reverting to GMT, but as I said before, if it prevents accidents, in the absence of a better plan, I can live with it. As we're leaving the EU, I suspect that we won't be dropping the change either. Not that the UK has ever really done what the EU tells it in any of these kind of sweeping policies, but that's kind of beside the point.

In any case, it's much more complex politically here than just 'wear reflectors'. And my personal view is that we're a divided enough country already since the Brexit vote. We don't need to reopen more rifts by causing more inconvenience to some parts of the UK than others...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
Re: Clocks go back an hour
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 09:05:23 AM »
Honestly, it's silly to have this requirement every year, especially when not all places use it. It's only gotten worse since it was changed from its original places on the calendar. Mucked up my CD player clock radio's automatic DST function.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal