collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: No toys of the MLP FIM new students?  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: No toys of the MLP FIM new students?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 08:03:49 PM »
I agree that the toy line is petering out.  I feel like the Cutie Mark Crew is just a place holder while they are working on whatever they are working on for 2020.  They’ve done it before.  There was that line of g3 Ponyville right before g4 came out. 

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 08:53:04 PM »
I agree that the toy line is petering out.  I feel like the Cutie Mark Crew is just a place holder while they are working on whatever they are working on for 2020.  They’ve done it before.  There was that line of g3 Ponyville right before g4 came out.

G3.5 were more the filler years imo, but it's especially apparent in the newborn cuties line. I think G4.5 compares well to G3.5. G4.5 will have lasted ~3 years, G3.5 lasted... 2? 3 if you want to be generous? Depends how quick they want to get G5 out I guess. It took months for the G4 brushables to come out iirc. The reactions to both "gens" were the same too, which definitely confirms it. :devious:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 02:32:02 AM »
It's interesting comparing it with 3.5. The thing is that we've been here (as a community, not necessarily all of us all of the time, LOL) for a good 20+ years and we've seen generations come and go to the point now it becomes easier to see how Hasbro behave when they're winding up. And how people behave when the series is no longer so popular. Seeing g4 reboot ponies already at carboot sales is a clear sign it doesn't have a lot of traction. But whether it's a filler before whatever comes next I don't know.

In the past, whatever has come next has always been different enough to count as a new generation altogether. I don't feel like that is going to happen this time.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 04:14:00 AM »
It'll be interesting to see if G5 will repeat G4s sins when it comes to releasing new characters.

I hope they will apply a bit of the Transformers or even LPS brush and have a core cast along with new additions in waves.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2018, 06:03:50 AM »
Man I sure hope we don't get a repeat of what G4 has done with new ponies. They could very easily constantly have a set that has new characters, and also a set with new Mane 6 versions, yet they don't. Shopkins' Shoppies dolls do an excellent job of doing what I think MLP should do when it comes to releasing new characters vs rereleasing existing ones. They've always got a line of more basic $10 dolls that exclusively contain new characters on the shelf, alongside themed lines with the $15 dolls that include characters we've seen before, and even in those they often throw in new ones. And they keep their character rereleases drastically different from one another so that it's not boring to have multiples of a character, too. Come on Hasbro, do this with MLP. Moose does it really well with Shoppies.

I understand that Hasbro wants FiM's main cast to always be on shelves for people just getting into MLP, but they take it to the extreme. We just need like one per of the Mane 6 on shelves at a time, so then there's room more new characters. Not 5+ of the same ponies out at the same time.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 06:06:00 AM by TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 »

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 06:19:19 AM »
Yeah, I get why Hasbro want the main 6 to be available all the time, and it makes sense. They just... go overboard with it. Look at Monster High, that did the 'core cast' thing pretty well - they always had at least one of each main character available, but it was in addition to other characters. (Well, until G2 came around, I guess.) Hasbro need to take a leaf from MH's book there :(

Also the "packaging cool new character with YET ANOTHER main 6 re-release" thing needs to stop. >(

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 06:32:05 AM »
I feel with G4 there are ponies that have an acceptable level of release (like Cheerilee) without going overboard. Let's hope they adopt that into whatever comes next.

Also, it is possible that, rather than intending to produce toys of the new characters en masse, it might be that Hasbro are trying out different species like this as market research for whatever comes next. Just to see how things other than ponies are received by the audience...because these days it's not like you have to go to too much effort to find out what people think about stuff. It gets all over the internet. And if they're just animated characters in a story already centred on the sure thing core characters, there's pretty much nothing to lose in a cost sense.

Am I too cynical?

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 07:59:45 AM »
To me there's more incentive in buying the non-pony figures right now, not just because of the mane6, but also because of the lack of interesting designs of the other ponies. It's been years since I saw a pony and said, "Wow! She's so cute, I NEED her!". G4 ponies as of late are so boring, Hasbro doesn't want to design anything with interesting colours or cutie marks. Solid-coloured mane, two-toned if you're lucky, and your run-of-the-mill three-item copypasted cutie mark. I look at Pretzel and think, "Wow! You definitely... exist?". I don't get me started on the blind bags!! I know it's quantity over quality when it comes to those but some of them are very.... Hmmmm, design-wise.

I liked Skystar since I love her colours, but other than her I can't think of any pony I wanted because I liked the design. I want to get Sandbar pretty much because he's a yellow pony (which I collect specifically) and a boy. :huh: Early G4s like Dewdrop Dazzle (my fav G4), Lulu Luck, Ploomette, and Plumsweet were all really super cute and well-designed, what happened?

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 11:35:40 AM »
To me there's more incentive in buying the non-pony figures right now, not just because of the mane6, but also because of the lack of interesting designs of the other ponies. It's been years since I saw a pony and said, "Wow! She's so cute, I NEED her!". G4 ponies as of late are so boring, Hasbro doesn't want to design anything with interesting colours or cutie marks. Solid-coloured mane, two-toned if you're lucky, and your run-of-the-mill three-item copypasted cutie mark. I look at Pretzel and think, "Wow! You definitely... exist?". I don't get me started on the blind bags!! I know it's quantity over quality when it comes to those but some of them are very.... Hmmmm, design-wise.

I liked Skystar since I love her colours, but other than her I can't think of any pony I wanted because I liked the design. I want to get Sandbar pretty much because he's a yellow pony (which I collect specifically) and a boy. :huh: Early G4s like Dewdrop Dazzle (my fav G4), Lulu Luck, Ploomette, and Plumsweet were all really super cute and well-designed, what happened?

I am with you on most of this, I am loosing interest in gen 4 at this point save for a handful on my want list of the earlier ones. I really dislike the huge packs just for one pony.

Offline Evilunicorn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Always tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2018, 07:10:39 AM »
Quote from:  link=topic=393318.msg1741369#msg1741369 date=1538002812
Ok, I need to give credit for removing that flower tumor. And I am pleasantly surprised by the paint apps and Rarity eyes.
She looks like an improvement over Skystar, with her walleyes and lack of paint.

But whyyy is Silverstream yet another victim of the double set. I was actually looking forward to her and now I know she will be htf just like Sky  -_-

I wish that if they were determined to put her in a 2pk that they'd make her AND her seapony form together. That'd be neat.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 08:22:35 AM »
Quote from:  link=topic=393318.msg1741369#msg1741369 date=1538002812
Ok, I need to give credit for removing that flower tumor. And I am pleasantly surprised by the paint apps and Rarity eyes.
She looks like an improvement over Skystar, with her walleyes and lack of paint.

But whyyy is Silverstream yet another victim of the double set. I was actually looking forward to her and now I know she will be htf just like Sky  -_-

I wish that if they were determined to put her in a 2pk that they'd make her AND her seapony form together. That'd be neat.

That would have been nice. Its ridiculous that the movie introduced new characters and introduced a half new species, but only 4 new Merpony adults and 3 Hyppogriff adults were made.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 09:30:54 AM »
I can only speak for myself but I'm barely watching the show now. Mostly because the DVR stopped recording, and secondly because I'm usually at work on Sat when the new show airs or I'm doing something else.

I haven't been as interested since the friendship school focus started. It doesn't feel as interesting, like we're going over the same lessons with different characters that are not ponies.

The toy line for g4 has always been kinda meh for me. There is stuff I like a lot but the rest is sorta a pass. It's sort of the first Gen I really lost interestg in for MLP. But I think that is more to do with releasing the same ponies over and over.

But in general I haven't seen anything in the pony isle I wanted to buy in a while. At first I thought I was going to like those mini cutie mark blind figures, but I bought an couple and sorta got the meh feeling. That I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a bunch of tiny figures that were the same thing over and over.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 01:58:07 PM »
Here's a pic of the set with Silverstream. Sandbar will be packed with Rainbow Dash.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 02:37:31 PM »
Sandbar is the only one I want. I'll just put Rainbowdash in the charity bag.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 10:19:33 AM »
I don't think Hasbro's concern is timeliness, though the timing of the Nightmare Night toys is... strange. The episode came out in 2011, and the toys came out in what, 2016? That's awful. The Gala was toyed around a bit I think in 2011 after the S1 finale, since they were producing those cardboard castle playsets, princesses, and the light-up saddles. To be fair, the REAL Gala ponies were released in late 2011 maybe, but I got them in 2012. Speaking of 2012, the wedding stuff was on time too, but I guess that's because it was culturally topical and they needed to get them out ASAP. ;) Movie stuff wasn't bad either, though I still can't find Songbird Seranade anywhere.

We didn't get our first REAL Canterlot castle until 2016 (iirc). Most of the castles prior to Canterlot's were non-canon locations.

FiM collection in general was awful. I mean, it's a cool series and they actually put in NEW CHARACTERS (what a surprise!), but the timing...? Are they still doing it? We got the Apple Family barn first, then Sugar Cube Corner, Twilight's treehouse, the Carousel Boutique, and the Canterlot Castle. These were all seemingly inspired by season 1 which is an odd choice, even odder is the decision to make Twilight reflect that despite being an alicorn for 2 YEARS at the earliest at that point. Where's Fluttershy's cottage? Rainbow Dash's condo? Can we get Twilight's castle? Or the Crystal Empire castle? Why does the FiM Canterlot Castle cost SO much yet come with so little???

Hasbro's just lazy and greedy. ;) They want stick to the mane6, we can get a fan favourite background pony if we're lucky. And even then it's a one-time Toys R Us exclusive in a $100 pack. DJ P0n3, Minty, Muffins... Zecora was $16! $16 for a 3-inch brushable!

... but what's wrong, guys? You don't want Pinkie Pie, glitter Pinkie Pie, tinsel Pinkie Pie, tinsel and glitter Pinkie Pie, super hero Pinkie Pie, styling/fashion Pinkie Pie, blindbag Pinkie Pie, chibi blindbag Pinkie Pie, seapony Pinkie Pie, glitter seapony Pinkie Pie, pirate Pinkie Pie, balloon hat Pinkie Pie, cake-wearing Pinkie Pie, bridesmaid Pinkie Pie, pearly Pinkie Pie, ribbon hair Pinkie Pie, pearly with ribbon hair Pinkie Pie, school uniform Pinkie Pie, masquerade Pinkie Pie, light-up saddle Pinkie Pie, baby Pinkie Pie, car-driving Pinkie Pie, helicopter-driving Pinkie Pie, swan boat-paddling Pinkie Pie, human Pinkie Pie, chibi human Pinkie Pie, or emoji Pinkie Pie???

Speaking of "baby Pinkie Pie", Hasbro, when are we getting newborn cutie versions of the mane6??? The bootleggers beat you to that years ago.

LOL ROFL...….I could not stop laughing when I read the ending part of your post about the million different pinkie pies there are! Hasbro turned me off on these G4 ponies a long time ago. There is no imagination at all! :(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal