collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: No toys of the MLP FIM new students?  (Read 3645 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
No toys of the MLP FIM new students?
« on: September 26, 2018, 08:16:01 AM »
Does it seem weird to anyone else that this season of FIM spends a lot of time with Yona, Smolder the dragon, Gallus the griffon, etc, and yet there are no toys of them?  We've seen prototypes of Silverstream the hippogriff and Sandbar, and according to MLP Merch they're supposed to be out this fall, but . . . where are the others?

I don't get it.  The whole point of focusing on characters in a show like this is to sell toys of them.  And I think a poseable griffon toy, Guardians of Harmony style, would be pretty cool.  But my main want is the Changeling character.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: No toys of the MLP FIM new students?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 08:18:50 AM »
But they're not pretty! No one wants toys of them ;) Even if Yona DOES have hair you could brush...

If they plan on doing anything with the characters, my bet's on blind bag figures. Are they still doing the FiM collection? Maybe something like that.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 08:22:26 AM »
I really hope the rest get toys announced soon. As for Sandbar and Silverstream, not all fall season stuff gets put out at the same time, so I'm sure they, along with the Best Gift Ever line, the glittery TAF-esque singles, the upcoming EqG dolls, and everything else slated for "Fall 2018" that didn't come out when the toy season began, will probably come out around the holidays.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 08:27:50 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. Hasbro is missing a great opprotunity by not releasing all of the students. I want a toy of Ocellus too. :) and Silverstream in her sea pony form. Also King Thorax  even though he’s not a student and Smoulder.  I really like that the Changelings and hippogriffs have kept their transformation abilities :)

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 08:32:45 AM »
I feel like there's a huge missed opportunity for better show-toy meshing, but Hasbro doesn't want to pick up on it. Ocellus is my favorite of the students, and I'd love to see a non-GoH changeling toy. It's a shame that despite being one of the main focuses of the season, there's not going to be the other 4 students.
I'd like a Cozy Glow brushable too, but I'm fairly certain that has a 0% chance of occuring.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 11:00:50 AM »
Maybe they are just behind the ball-  it seems like a lot of the time the toys come 6-12 months later than the episodes that reveal them. No idea why they wouldn't try to plan better, maybe it's just that production speed is too hard to predict?  Or maybe the Big Box stores won't put in orders of toys for shows that haven't aired?  Not sure

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 11:31:25 AM »
Maybe they are just behind the ball-  it seems like a lot of the time the toys come 6-12 months later than the episodes that reveal them. No idea why they wouldn't try to plan better, maybe it's just that production speed is too hard to predict?  Or maybe the Big Box stores won't put in orders of toys for shows that haven't aired?  Not sure

Pfft. They've been behind the ball since this gen started. And to be fair, non pony toys were never given much attention or distribution throughout the entire franchise.

As a kid, I had no idea that Megan Molly, Spike, Brandy, Duck Soup, Twinkles or the Pony Friends/Pretty Pals even existed.

So that at least, is par for the course.

Its the fact that they screwed over the pony toy line so spectacularly that is equal parts baffling and obnoxious.

At least there are 2 new toys in this set....that you hafta buy with the same sucky, overdone characters AGAIN!   :pout:

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 11:35:15 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 01:11:44 PM »
I don’t understand why Hasbro is so late with releasing toys. By the time we got the ponies in their Grand Galloping Gala dresses and the Nightmare Night costumes and items I think it was at least two years since the episodes aired.  I thought they were doing better with movie characters until it took All About Tempest almost a year after the movie’s  release date and I never found Capetian Celea. :sad:

Leave a Whisper, Hasbro thinks they have to include so many of the same characters over and over because Pinkie might have had a little extra fun in the Mirror Pool. :rofl:

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »
I don't think Hasbro's concern is timeliness, though the timing of the Nightmare Night toys is... strange. The episode came out in 2011, and the toys came out in what, 2016? That's awful. The Gala was toyed around a bit I think in 2011 after the S1 finale, since they were producing those cardboard castle playsets, princesses, and the light-up saddles. To be fair, the REAL Gala ponies were released in late 2011 maybe, but I got them in 2012. Speaking of 2012, the wedding stuff was on time too, but I guess that's because it was culturally topical and they needed to get them out ASAP. ;) Movie stuff wasn't bad either, though I still can't find Songbird Seranade anywhere.

We didn't get our first REAL Canterlot castle until 2016 (iirc). Most of the castles prior to Canterlot's were non-canon locations.

FiM collection in general was awful. I mean, it's a cool series and they actually put in NEW CHARACTERS (what a surprise!), but the timing...? Are they still doing it? We got the Apple Family barn first, then Sugar Cube Corner, Twilight's treehouse, the Carousel Boutique, and the Canterlot Castle. These were all seemingly inspired by season 1 which is an odd choice, even odder is the decision to make Twilight reflect that despite being an alicorn for 2 YEARS at the earliest at that point. Where's Fluttershy's cottage? Rainbow Dash's condo? Can we get Twilight's castle? Or the Crystal Empire castle? Why does the FiM Canterlot Castle cost SO much yet come with so little???

Hasbro's just lazy and greedy. ;) They want stick to the mane6, we can get a fan favourite background pony if we're lucky. And even then it's a one-time Toys R Us exclusive in a $100 pack. DJ P0n3, Minty, Muffins... Zecora was $16! $16 for a 3-inch brushable!

... but what's wrong, guys? You don't want Pinkie Pie, glitter Pinkie Pie, tinsel Pinkie Pie, tinsel and glitter Pinkie Pie, super hero Pinkie Pie, styling/fashion Pinkie Pie, blindbag Pinkie Pie, chibi blindbag Pinkie Pie, seapony Pinkie Pie, glitter seapony Pinkie Pie, pirate Pinkie Pie, balloon hat Pinkie Pie, cake-wearing Pinkie Pie, bridesmaid Pinkie Pie, pearly Pinkie Pie, ribbon hair Pinkie Pie, pearly with ribbon hair Pinkie Pie, school uniform Pinkie Pie, masquerade Pinkie Pie, light-up saddle Pinkie Pie, baby Pinkie Pie, car-driving Pinkie Pie, helicopter-driving Pinkie Pie, swan boat-paddling Pinkie Pie, human Pinkie Pie, chibi human Pinkie Pie, or emoji Pinkie Pie???

Speaking of "baby Pinkie Pie", Hasbro, when are we getting newborn cutie versions of the mane6??? The bootleggers beat you to that years ago.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:34:06 PM by Ragamuffin »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 04:00:12 PM »
They can't even make toys based on recurring or cool looking pony characters. So I won't be surprised if we'll never get new moulds for School of Friendship students.
Silverstream probably will have a flower attached to her just like Skystar because they will just re-use the mould.

It's ironic that the show started as a toy vehicle and now there are lots of unique characters that could be toys but they just don't make them.

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 04:08:59 PM »
They can't even make toys based on recurring or cool looking pony characters. So I won't be surprised if we'll never get new moulds for School of Friendship students.
Silverstream probably will have a flower attached to her just like Skystar because they will just re-use the mould.

It's ironic that the show started as a toy vehicle and now there are lots of unique characters that could be toys but they just don't make them.

I don't remember, is the flower part of the mold, or is the flower detatchable? If it's detachable they'll leave the hole there, no accessory. Just like the bowtie Spike pose, or those school uniform skirts that are being reused from what I imagine are from Cutie Mark Magic? The line with all the charms and everything had holes to put in the charms? They have those same holes in them, but they serve no purpose now. It's also a quirky school uniform design, I've never seen a uniform skirt with feathers on it... ;)

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 04:57:44 PM »

I don't remember, is the flower part of the mold, or is the flower detatchable? If it's detachable they'll leave the hole there, no accessory. Just like the bowtie Spike pose, or those school uniform skirts that are being reused from what I imagine are from Cutie Mark Magic? The line with all the charms and everything had holes to put in the charms? They have those same holes in them, but they serve no purpose now. It's also a quirky school uniform design, I've never seen a uniform skirt with feathers on it... ;)

Skystar's flower is molded!

Looking at the image of the Silverstream toy, she doesn't have the flower:

Spoiler

From MLP Merch: https://data.mlpmerch.com/brushables/pony/silverstream/

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 12:52:48 AM »
Well... sadly it doesn't seem weird at all to me because I'm used to it by now. Ragamuffin has summed things up really well.
Seeing a non mane-6 character now is like a super exciting thing to me, when the staple of the brand used to be its variety in characters...
So much wasted potential :(

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 05:13:20 AM »

Skystar's flower is molded!

Looking at the image of the Silverstream toy, she doesn't have the flower:

Spoiler

From MLP Merch: https://data.mlpmerch.com/brushables/pony/silverstream/

Ok, I need to give credit for removing that flower tumor. And I am pleasantly surprised by the paint apps and Rarity eyes.
She looks like an improvement over Skystar, with her walleyes and lack of paint.

But whyyy is Silverstream yet another victim of the double set. I was actually looking forward to her and now I know she will be htf just like Sky  -_-

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »
Having spent the first few of my ponyloving years not getting the ponies that I read about and saw in pictures, I don't suppose that it's that surprising that HAsbro are missing the link up. But as others have said, they've omitted from producing show ponies except the select few and the mane 6 since the start, pretty much.

I am personally not that fussed about non-pony characters. I don't watch the show, so it would all be on the aesthetic for me. I am guessing producing a bunch of new moulds for single toys isn't appealing to them.

Also it might just be that the line toywise is petering out quicker than the series is. I remember with Jem, they made prototypes of all the Stingers, Regine, Astral, plus American Beauty Jem and Rockin Romance Jem - and then the line died and the prototypes all ended up being stored away and then later sold for stupid money (all except Rockin Romance Jem who got about a thousand out into production before the whole thing just stopped).

I know these days stuff tends to show up on auctions and stuff before the release. But it might simply not have got that far. If they're planning on ending the line, it doesn't make sense to go mad on new mould stuff.

(Though again, that said, in G1, they did that exact thing and created 3 new moulds in the final year, so yeah)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal