collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Starlight Glimmer Gets Canadian Censorship  (Read 6361 times)

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Starlight Glimmer Gets Canadian Censorship
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 08:31:24 PM »
Oh, that's wild! 'Fools'... really? *scratches head*

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 11:02:44 PM »
From what I've heard, the cider to juice change makes sense. While the states uses it to refer to non-alcoholic cider, many countries use cider to refer to strictly alcoholic cider. They don't have the distinction of hard cider that we do, or it is just less commonly used. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
Even so, it's censored all over, not just where it would be an issue. Plus, it's only that episode. I haven't heard any other instances of that occurring.

I have definitely seen an episode of G4 on the tiny pop channel here, a year or two ago, where AJ and her family are preparing the cider and those two guys come in and there's a trade war and the quality of the cider drops. And it is called 'cider' in that episode, no changes. And in the UK, cider is definitely alcoholic. I remember watching it and going...erm...really? Seriously? Especially since I remember Toonami versions of Tenchi Muyo turning sake into 'tea', and that was aimed at an older audience. To me it was a mite disturbing that small kids were watching a bunch of ponies massing, going crazy and starting a riot because they wanted alcohol. It's why I remember the episode so clearly.

I remember a forum I was on previously where there was at least one word permitted which is a swear word here and one not permitted which is not. And as a moderator it drove me crazy having to enforce rules that made no sense to me.

It also struck me that if 'fools' is a bad word, Skeletor is basically going to be rendered mute. Aside from using it a lot, it's probably the least offensive or creative insult in his particularly impressive arsenal.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 11:05:44 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 11:49:12 PM »
Talking about censored things, the Canadian versions of Dynasty Warriors and Warriors Orochi the word "imbeciles" is censored (Poor Sima Yi).

Plus the removed scenes from Ginag: Nagareboshi Gin in Finland dub.

And let's not forget that Fire Emblem Awakening USA version censored Tharji in a bikini while people in the UK didn't get it censored.

Plus some countries censored the anime Attack on Titan.

Too many anime got censored in the UK dub versions or episodes removed, hence why I watch some of my favourite anime Jaoanese subbed.

This about Starlight Glimmer made me laugh.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 05:31:03 AM »
This reminds me of a video I saw about the Funimation dub of Dragonball Z . . . The original had a lot of death, but in the dub they would just pretend people dead on the ground were still alive by dubbing in heavy breathing sounds or saying they'd gone to another dimension. Those changes at least sort of make sense though . . . but they also made censorship changes to the animation, including some weird choices like when Goku was thinking of apple trees in a thought bubble.  Sensing a real anti-apple bias with these censors, lol.

Worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7usGwSYKO0

DiC did that when they dubbed Sailor Moon. The next to the last episode of the first season is supposed to show the deaths of Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and Mars as they and Sailor Moon are on their way to fight Queen Beryl. DIC combined the episode with the next one and cut all of the scenes out that show the Sailor Senshi deaths and even changed the dialogue to make the audience believe that they'd just been captured instead.

Here's a YouTube video comparing the original anime episodes to the DIC dub

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06Whxe1pUmU

I know there are fans of Dic's version of Sailor Moon so please overlook the caption that says horrible Englsih dub.

From what I've heard, the cider to juice change makes sense. While the states uses it to refer to non-alcoholic cider, many countries use cider to refer to strictly alcoholic cider. They don't have the distinction of hard cider that we do, or it is just less commonly used. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
Even so, it's censored all over, not just where it would be an issue. Plus, it's only that episode. I haven't heard any other instances of that occurring.

I have definitely seen an episode of G4 on the tiny pop channel here, a year or two ago, where AJ and her family are preparing the cider and those two guys come in and there's a trade war and the quality of the cider drops. And it is called 'cider' in that episode, no changes. And in the UK, cider is definitely alcoholic. I remember watching it and going...erm...really? Seriously? Especially since I remember Toonami versions of Tenchi Muyo turning sake into 'tea', and that was aimed at an older audience. To me it was a mite disturbing that small kids were watching a bunch of ponies massing, going crazy and starting a riot because they wanted alcohol. It's why I remember the episode so clearly.

I think changing cider to juice for countries that don't have a non alcoholic version of cider makes sense to make it clear that the ponies are not selling alcohol especially in a show that's aimed at children but I do think some of the context might be lost when Granny Smith talks about how important it is to make the cider right away and that they only have a limited amount of time to make the cider when it's harvest time.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 06:04:16 AM »

I think changing cider to juice for countries that don't have a non alcoholic version of cider makes sense to make it clear that the ponies are not selling alcohol especially in a show that's aimed at children but I do think some of the context might be lost when Granny Smith talks about how important it is to make the cider right away and that they only have a limited amount of time to make the cider when it's harvest time.

Ponyfan
Though it doesn't change the fact that episodes like Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 use the word over and over without any change to the episode. It makes for much inconstancy.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 06:31:05 AM »
DiC did that when they dubbed Sailor Moon. The next to the last episode of the first season is supposed to show the deaths of Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and Mars as they and Sailor Moon are on their way to fight Queen Beryl. DIC combined the episode with the next one and cut all of the scenes out that show the Sailor Senshi deaths and even changed the dialogue to make the audience believe that they'd just been captured instead.

I know there are fans of Dic's version of Sailor Moon so please overlook the caption that says horrible Englsih dub.

I use to like the Dic's version, but after watching the Japanese dub I like that. I wasn't stupid to know that the scouts died, heck I watched when Neflight (don't know if I got his name correct) died now that was sad. During season three (which was supposed to be Season Two but the creator wasn't ready yet) you had a load of deaths in that.

And let's not forget Zocite got changed into a female and not make because they didn't want a gay couple or lesbian couple with Sailor Neptune, and Uranus.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 07:10:05 AM »
Geez... I've seen a LOT of stupid edits, but this one is particularly stupid. "Fools", really??

Ponyfan
Though it doesn't change the fact that episodes like Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 use the word over and over without any change to the episode. It makes for much inconstancy.

I think I heard that that ep never aired over here? I know a lot of dubs changed it to "apple juice" and the like.

Censoring 'cider' to 'juice' makes sense for countries where cider is generally considered alcoholic (like in the UK) but I agree that it's a little silly to censor it in the US - is it just newer eps where they've censored it, or did they go back and censor old eps, too? If it's just newer ones, I'd bet that they just didn't want to record the lines twice ('cider' for US and 'juice' for other countries). I've heard of that happening before - apparently one reason they toned down the language in Regular Show after season one is because the VAs were getting tired of having to re-record the lines for other countries, for example.

Er.. but don't get me started on what Cartoon Network UK are like with censorship or I'll be wandering too far off-topic :P there's a -lot- to talk about there, lol.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 08:36:21 AM »
The channel Treehouse TV is apparently for pre-school kids. So this makes sense why they feel a need to change it. 

Like you wouldn't hear someone call someone else a fool on Sesame Street or Mr. Rogers. . . . Unless it's understood that calling someone a name hurts people's feelings and it's a bad thing to do.

Fly, you f***s!  :lol:
XD

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 10:29:11 AM »
It would be amazing if they just used the censorship "bleep" sound for every censored thing.  "It's time for the Apple Family's annual *bleep* sale!  Ponies even get in line early . . . They can't wait for a good *bleep*!"
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 10:38:48 AM »
It would be amazing if they just used the censorship "bleep" sound for every censored thing.  "It's time for the Apple Family's annual *bleep* sale!  Ponies even get in line early . . . They can't wait for a good *bleep*!"
Would it count if it was "close enough" like Nightmare Moon saying "You little foal, thinking you could defeat ME?" If so, that changes the context quite a bit.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 06:01:12 AM »

I use to like the Dic's version, but after watching the Japanese dub I like that. I wasn't stupid to know that the scouts died, heck I watched when Neflight (don't know if I got his name correct) died now that was sad. During season three (which was supposed to be Season Two but the creator wasn't ready yet) you had a load of deaths in that.

I guess DIC thought that it was better to lead the audience to believe that the Sailor Senshi had been captured instead of showing the scenes with their dead bodies and Sailor Moon crying out to them. I only saw one part of a DIC episode of Sailor Moon growing up but it was quite surprising to see how much they cut from what should have been an hour's worth of episodes to make it fin in to 30 minutes.

I do think it's odd that "Where the Apple Lies" was censored but not Super Cider Squeezy unless Hasbro wasn't planning on airing that episode in countries that don't have the distction of hard cider vs  the US version of cider.  It also makes me wonder  if Applejack's line after feeling like she'd been through the Super Cider Squeezy machine when she was suffering the after effects of Stralight's mind control spell was changed?

That would be really funny. :rofl:

I do think calling someone a fool is a pretty tame insult compared to what's on other animated shows and what children will hear in real life. I thought calling someoen a fool or iditot was pretty common in cartoons?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 05:50:28 PM »

:haha:

Also the image linked is super funny to me. I can hear her in my head ACTUALLY dropping the F bomb. Anywho this is 16 kinds of stupid, it’s like the lady in daycare who told me not to say “stupid!” Normally I’m indifferent to peoples’ preferences but it takes a special sort of person to say that “fools” is akin to cussing.

This was the first thing that came to mind for me, too. XD See, it gets worse the more Treehouse messes with it! lol.

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 02:09:33 PM »
Geez... I've seen a LOT of stupid edits, but this one is particularly stupid. "Fools", really??

Ponyfan

I think I heard that that ep never aired over here?

I watched it on TV over here, so it aired, uncensored. That was the episode I was talking about. I just googled the title to check and it is :) So yeah. It aired.

This reminds me of when I worked at the library and it wouldn't let me access Japanese vocabulary and grammar sites because of how the verb suru conjugates in roman characters. And I am not sure if this site will let me type it either, even though in pronunciation it sounds nothing alike.

Sigh. Censoring it actually draws more attention to the insult. And it is a lot less serious than an episode about alcohol desperate ponies competing for their fix IMO.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 02:11:53 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 03:01:13 PM »
I wonder if the reason they didn't change the Flim Flam brothers episode is because they had a song.  I imagine it's easier to have the voice actors repeat a few lines about apple juice rather than re-record a song . . . which would also need new lyrics because "apple juice" doesn't have the same amount of syllables as "cider".  (They do mention cider in the chorus of the song, right?  I think I remember that.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2018, 07:35:48 PM »

The best part is, when I see that, "fools" is not the first 5-letter word that came to mind.

...I'll show myself out...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal