collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Cleanup Part 1 // TE Bright Eyes, Starshine, Skydancer  (Read 648 times)

Offline TravelingTwinkler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • ~ to travel is to live ~
    • View Profile
G1 Cleanup Part 1 // TE Bright Eyes, Starshine, Skydancer
« on: September 23, 2018, 02:45:31 PM »
Ok SO I picked these up a while ago—a mish-mash of eBay and digging through dirty toy bins at a con. They mostly have surface grime, some permanent marker, and highlighter. Skydancer could have regrind on her chest, but I'm hoping it's just pink highlighter.

Cleaning techniques have included:
- Magic Eraser
- Whitening toothpaste
- Liquid soap
- Acetone (Starshine and Bright Eyes)
- Oxiclean spot treating (Starshine)
- Bleach (Starshine)
- Prismacolor colorless blending marker (Starshine and Bright Eyes)

Pre-clean photos:
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Post-clean photos and post-sun-fading photos coming soon!

They cleaned up very well after soap and Magic Eraser except for the permanent marker, so my first sun-fading attempt ever started today. I've heard aluminum foil can stain white ponies when sunfading, so they're wrapped like mummies in pieces of old white towel. I'm expecting about 1 month for sun-fading to make any difference in the Fall Utah sun.

Anyone have any success with mixing toothpaste with baking soda? Or know of other unconventional means of getting rid of permanent marker on white, yellow, or blue ponies?

—mari

{ formerly know as OGTwinkler }

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
Re: G1 Cleanup Part 1 // TE Bright Eyes, Starshine, Skydancer
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 02:57:18 PM »
I can’t really help with pen removal techniques apart from sun fading, but what do you do with the colourless marker? I have one of those!

Offline TravelingTwinkler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • ~ to travel is to live ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 03:11:23 PM »
I can’t really help with pen removal techniques apart from sun fading, but what do you do with the colourless marker? I have one of those!

Baby Sugarberry had some success using a Copic colorless blending marker over the permanent marker on a G3 in this thread "how to remove permanent marker". I thought I'd give it a shot even if to loosen the stains a little bit—providing they may be new stains—but no difference this time. Can't wait to see some sunfading results! Do you have any sunfading before and after pics? I would love to see them for encouragement.
 :lovey:
—mari

{ formerly know as OGTwinkler }

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 12:05:23 AM »
Wow, I've never heard about using a colorless blending marker, that's amazing!! I definitely want to give this a try! Best of luck with the little group, they don't look too bad in this shot, but I'm sure they're worse in person! :heart:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 01:20:11 AM »
The stuff that's in them is basically a powerful alcohol-solvent, so it's sometimes useful in budging surface ink.  As noted, it will NOT remove old marks that have gotten into the vinyl, only the surface pigment/carrier.  Sunfading is still best for deep stains.  I've also used the markers for getting rid of paint scuffs and transfers, for which it's extremely effective.  As with all alcohols, keep away from eyes and any original painted areas like symbols.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal