collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Are Your Restoration Horror Stories?  (Read 3272 times)

Offline strawberrypony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
What Are Your Restoration Horror Stories?
« on: September 21, 2018, 01:03:13 AM »
Im not sure if there is a post like this already please let me know if so. Ive encountered a few horrific experiences with restoration lately and I thought it would be a fun thread for us all to share our own pony horror stories!  ^.^

Just the day before yesterday I found a fakie that had been hiding in storage and needed a deep cleaning, and I thought I would rinse her off first before touching her much. Little did I know what would happen  :blink:  the moment the slightest bit of water from the faucet touched her hair, every single strand all fell out at once and went down the drain so fast there was nothing I could do. Shes a poor bald pony now. It must not have been glued in properly or the glue rotted? The poor thing, It wasnt the best quality hair to begin with tho so at least she'll get brand new hair now! XD Sad to see her hair go tho, I remember brushing her hair as a little kid.

What kind of stories do you all have?  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 01:04:45 AM by strawberrypony »
:hope: ponies make for a happy day

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: What Are Your Restoration Horror Stories?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 01:28:59 AM »
Someone gave me some cheap hair straighteners, I tried using them to de-frizz hair but the temperature just wasn't low enough or stable enough so I damaged some hair before I improved it overall. I think more modern straighteners are much better and can be used for de-frizzing nylon hair with a bit of knowhow.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline NightGliderSA

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 01:41:46 AM »
Oh no! Sorry strawberrypony, at least she will get all fixed up and looking glam again: please post photos  :)

I do have a horror story actually: about two weeks back I decided to spend a relaxing afternoon straightening some frizzed pony hair. This is something I do fairly often and actually rather enjoy. But, while I was using the straightener, it just fritzed out and the thermostat died. So it suddenly and without and prior warning got super hot. My poor Lucky Pony (I collect them) now has a melted section in her mane. Can't say I improved her at all  :(

Here she is with a cunning new 'do' to hide What I Did:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

However, there is a silver lining to this story of gloom: the pony who's hair I had been straightening before the poor (un)Lucky Pony was this one:

Spoiler
Scandinavian Truly. So It really could have been WAY worse

Offline strawberrypony

• Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 02:58:27 AM »
Someone gave me some cheap hair straighteners, I tried using them to de-frizz hair but the temperature just wasn't low enough or stable enough so I damaged some hair before I improved it overall. I think more modern straighteners are much better and can be used for de-frizzing nylon hair with a bit of knowhow.

Oh no! Sorry strawberrypony, at least she will get all fixed up and looking glam again: please post photos  :)

I do have a horror story actually: about two weeks back I decided to spend a relaxing afternoon straightening some frizzed pony hair. This is something I do fairly often and actually rather enjoy. But, while I was using the straightener, it just fritzed out and the thermostat died. So it suddenly and without and prior warning got super hot. My poor Lucky Pony (I collect them) now has a melted section in her mane. Can't say I improved her at all  :(

Here she is with a cunning new 'do' to hide What I Did:

However, there is a silver lining to this story of gloom: the pony who's hair I had been straightening before the poor (un)Lucky Pony was this one:

Spoiler
Scandinavian Truly. So It really could have been WAY worse

Oh noo!! It seems like hair straighteners are on the fritz lately! :O Definitely gatta be careful with them, Ive never had trouble with straighteners but I accidentally left some hair too close to a hot lamp once and the hair curled up and burned to a crisp  >_< 

Thank goodness, NightGliderSA, that you didnt damage your Truly!  :shocked: A close one indeed! YIKES! But your fakie looks so lovely still <3 She looks very happy with her curly hair, I wouldnt worry!  :3  And thank you very much! My fakie appreciates your condolences as well. I will definitely post pictures once shes gotten her new locks since you wanna see. :D Im afraid it will be a while tho, thats a whole other horror story haha I broke all of my rerooting needles, my rerooting tool wont hold a needle right, AND i cut my fingers to pieces because a particular pony had a horribly HARD head. I need to buy more needles and fix up the tool the best I can first XD
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:00:43 AM by strawberrypony »
:hope: ponies make for a happy day

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Sparkles are great, but Sunsparkles are better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 04:05:03 AM »
Oh no! Sorry to hear about your ponies!

I’m sure I can think of more at some point - I’m rather clumsy xD but one I’ll never forget is my poor buttons!

I bought her on eBay for £1.95. She has a hold in her foot and chews on her legs and horn. And marks, and crispy hair (mint condition  :lol:)
I was going to wash her hair to ease the crispiness but I noticed her original curls were still there a bit, so I thought about putting her tail ribbon (not original) in her mane like a little curly ponytail. I was trimming the ribbon tails and all of a sudden I heard a loud CRUNCH!

Buttons now sports a forelock  >_<

I tried to reassure myself that some adult unicorns have them but after frantically scouring pony sites and my ponies it became apparent that it wasn’t true  :blush: as the ribbon is still tied, the cut hair is still in the ponytail. I am tempted to root the long cut piece in so it doesn’t look as bad, but I can’t get her head off  >_< 

Another is my Aloha Pearl. She had nice ends, but a huge mat at the top of her hair. I didn’t realise that she had bad quality hair, so I started brushing like mad to get the knots out at the top and the rest of her hair ended up wrecked :shocked: I’m gonna try a tight boil perm to see if I can lessen the look of it  :huh:

Sunsparkle x

Sig made by: Sapphire Rain
Instagram: mlp_sunsparkle

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 04:09:35 AM »
Years and years ago I bought a SS Gusty fo a swap partner. She was in nice condition but needed to be washed so gave her an Oxyclean bath. I was really careful: made sure it was really diluted, water was more warm than hot, didn't leave her in long etc. so you can imagine my horror when I took her out and her flocking came off :cry:
I was able to find another SS Gusty for my swap partner but man, I was so mad that happened!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:11:17 AM by dragonlady »

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 04:17:37 AM »
Brought this MLP G1 Pony (can't remember who it was). Nothing was wrong with it except the head was loose, I glued the head back on but I notice I glued the head on backwards.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 05:36:00 AM »
I always gently wipe my ponies down with a Magic Eraser as soon as a bring them home. Well, one time I was wiping down a G3 pony and one quick swipe took off half of her cutie mark  :(  Thankfully she was already bait but I was really hoping I'd get her looking nice again.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 05:46:27 AM »
Sunburning my very first Starshine that I bought at an antique mall and paid way too much for... I didn't know then what I know now... :nope:

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 05:56:14 AM »
Ohh, sure I have horrors to say.
I used acid to remove every stain of rust on my pony tails, but I realized way too late that it damaged the nylon too, so most of my former rusty ponies have a milk-ish and extremely coarse tail. This is extremely unpleasant and I hate myself everyday for damaging so many ponies like that. I've never de-rusted any pony since, but I have a bunch I need to though. I can't find the motivation anymore. I should reduce the concentration and exposure but I'm so upset I don't want to try that.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 07:05:35 AM »
I was washing a Magic Hat, being really gentle, making sure the water was cold. I patted her symbols dry and the red started to disintegrate. It's so sad... She was near mint. I guess the protective layer had peeled off.

Rose, have you tried whitening toothpaste? It works pretty well.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 04:19:01 PM »
Years and years ago I bought a SS Gusty fo a swap partner. She was in nice condition but needed to be washed so gave her an Oxyclean bath. I was really careful: made sure it was really diluted, water was more warm than hot, didn't leave her in long etc. so you can imagine my horror when I took her out and her flocking came off :cry:
I was able to find another SS Gusty for my swap partner but man, I was so mad that happened!

The condition of flocking glue is such a tricky thing to judge!

Post Merge: September 21, 2018, 06:01:18 PM

Ohh, sure I have horrors to say.
I used acid to remove every stain of rust on my pony tails, but I realized way too late that it damaged the nylon too, so most of my former rusty ponies have a milk-ish and extremely coarse tail. This is extremely unpleasant and I hate myself everyday for damaging so many ponies like that. I've never de-rusted any pony since, but I have a bunch I need to though. I can't find the motivation anymore. I should reduce the concentration and exposure but I'm so upset I don't want to try that.

Ah that's a shame but have you tried heated hair straighteners as though you're de-frizzing? It might help to smooth the surface of the damaged fibres. To remove rust I remove the tail and washer and then soak the rusty end of the tail overnight in oxyxlean bath. Next I always use toothpaste, a tooth brush and a lot of elbow grease to scrub out the rust. I don't know if I ever tried acid at all for fear of damaging the clamp which personally I never remove. You could try white vinegar. It is quite a lot of work.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 06:01:18 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 05:07:26 AM »
I used an oxyclean bath on my Princess Tiffany to try and whiten her up a little.  Didn’t realize that oxyclean will remove the metallic paint from her symbol :(

Also my first experience with the g3 rotting hair was after I decided to unbag the Avon ponies I’d kept mib for years.  That was truly disappointing.

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 06:50:00 AM »
@ Artemesia's Garden : Yes I already tried straightening it again, I've also tried soaking it in shampoo for hours and hours but nothing changed. That's why I'm so upset, my mistake is irreversible. I've done that to G1s, to Italians,... I'm extremely unhappy about that.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 09:02:17 AM »
Mexican baby North Star. Her tail was full of rust, so I had to remove the washer. (And it was like those damned italian tail washers) My mother somehow managed to squeeze it the wrong direction, so instead of shaping more round it only went more flat, and more hard to remove. Some of her tails hair were cut off by the washers metal, lovely. I'm still a bit stuck with saving her otherwise fine tail. :pout:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal