collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ebay, combining items  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Ebay, combining items
« on: September 20, 2018, 08:59:58 AM »
I found an auction for a pony I need for a swap, the listing clearly stated more than once that items purchased within 48hrs of each other would get combined shipping and if the additional item ended later to contact the seller and they were willing to work out a buy-it-now.

I bid, and won the auction. Contacted the seller letting them know there was an additional accessory they had for auction that I was interested in and would like to purchase. I also placed an offer on that accessory at the starting bid price to help get their attention and so they would know which accessory it was I wanted. I never heard back.

2 days go by, ebay is prompting me to pay for the auction that I won, stating that I could be considered a nonpaying bidder after 48hrs since the auction ended. So I paid for the pony that I won and its shipping cost, hoping that if I won the accessory I could again contact the seller to combine shipping and drop/lower the shipping price listed for the accessory before the pony shipped out- it was over the weekend so I figured it'd be enough time.
I wont that auction too, contacted the seller to let them know that I had won both and wanted to combine.

No response, again. Now it's been 4 more days, and I've just been notified that my pony has shipped! Which to me means that the seller has completely ignored my messages about combining and I probably wont be able to get out of paying full shipping for the accessory (which I wouldn't have bought if I knew it'd be shipping separately)

2 days ago, when I got the invoice reminder from ebay for the accessory auction- it gave me the sellers mailing address- which I feel like has never happened before, but it was for the purpose of paying by check. I'm 99% certain that I recognize the seller's name as someone from here- I contacted the user here on the Arena that I'm thinking it is last night. They have not opened my message on here yet so Im not 100% sure, but if its the person Im thinking it is, they are a known and reputable MLP collector so Im really confused as to why this is such an issue...   *EDIT TO ADD* I had my users wrong, I do recognize the name, but its not the Arena member I was thinking of

Is there anything else I can do? Is there some way for me to notify ebay that I was within my timeline to get combined shipping, prove I attempted to contact the seller multiple times so that I dont get listed as a nonpaying bidder? I ultimately dont want the item if I have to pay the full shipping cost (more than the price of the item...)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:35:09 AM by Prince_Sunbeam »
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay, combining items
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 09:46:15 AM »
Trying to get your timeline straight...

So you won a best offer for the accessory, but held off on the payment?

Obviously something happened with the seller and poor communication...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »
Trying to get your timeline straight...

So you won a best offer for the accessory, but held off on the payment?

Obviously something happened with the seller and poor communication...

Yes.
I won the pony auction, tried to wait to hear back but paid. (this item was more important/for a swap)
Then a few days later won the accessory, contacted again, have not paid- hoping to get reduced shipping, its been 4 days.

Post Merge: September 20, 2018, 11:34:29 AM

Wellp, I did get my users mixed up, and while I definitely recognize the name of the seller, its NOT the arena member I was thinking of. So Im not sure how to try and get ahold of this person outside of ebay
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:34:29 AM by Prince_Sunbeam »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »
Well, it doesn't sound like your seller is going to communicate at all-- so if I were you, I would cancel your second purchase. I think that's completely fair.

You'll have to ask them to cancel it though. :/
https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/canceling-order/canceling-order?id=4004

I would say that it is possible for someone to give a refund after you pay for the two items... but that just doesn't help in the case of your seller not communicating...  ya know?

Is your first item on it's way, or was the label just printed?

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 05:26:17 PM »
Well, it doesn't sound like your seller is going to communicate at all-- so if I were you, I would cancel your second purchase. I think that's completely fair.

I would say that it is possible for someone to give a refund after you pay for the two items... but that just doesn't help in the case of your seller not communicating...  ya know?

There's no option for me to select "cancel" outside of sending them a (3rd) written message so I don't know if I feel like that's going to do me any good? That link suggests there's some option to select cancel and then write a note about why, but I dont see any option beyond just sending a general message. I found a "request total" message option so Im going to attempt that one?

They pony has a tracking #, listed as Pre-Shipment.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »

There's no option for me to select "cancel" outside of sending them a (3rd) written message so I don't know if I feel like that's going to do me any good? That link suggests there's some option to select cancel and then write a note about why, but I dont see any option beyond just sending a general message. I found a "request total" message option so Im going to attempt that one?

They pony has a tracking #, listed as Pre-Shipment.

Correct, they have the ability to do it. So you'll have to message them.

Canceling an order that's already in progress
If it's been more than an hour since your purchase, or if the seller has already dispatched your order by marking it as shipped or uploading tracking information, you can't cancel your order by yourself. You'll need to contact the seller and ask them to cancel it for you. Here's how:

Go to Purchase history and find the order you want to cancel.
From the More actions dropdown, select Contact seller.
Choose Request to cancel this order, then Contact the seller.
Explain to the seller why you need to cancel, and select Send.

However, if the item isn't sent, you could try again to ask them about if they can confirm they will ship the items together-- and if they will refund you the excess fee.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 02:03:46 AM »
How frustrating, sorry Prince_Sunbeam!

My understanding of eBay and combining shipping is as follows (please anyone do step in if I am incorrect with any of this):

Shipping can be combined if the seller allows it, however it must be paid on one invoice (this is where you would request a total). This is how it has always worked for me when I have combined shipping on eBay. I am not sure whether you are shipping locally or internationally? If the seller is shipping internationally through eBay's GSP then combined shipping is not allowed by eBay themselves.

I hope that you get this sorted out, but it is very unhelpful of the seller to ignore your messages.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 05:19:58 AM »
Shipping can be combined if the seller allows it, however it must be paid on one invoice (this is where you would request a total). This is how it has always worked for me when I have combined shipping on eBay.

This is sorta true, but not true. For domestic packages-- as long as the item hasn't shipped (or label hasn't been created over the weight limit), the seller is capable of putting the packages together and giving a refund for excess shipping fee. The refund can be given at any time.

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 06:28:16 PM »
I received another "pay your invoice" notifications from ebay...so I just gave up and paid for it.

Annoying but oh well. I'll probably just leave them crappy feedback for never responding to my 3 messages or combining shipping when it is plastered boldly all over their listings that all you have to do is simply contact them to coordinate combined shipping when auctions dont end at the same time...

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »
Ebay and combined shipping can be a real pain. Sometimes sellers think they have it enabled but it doesn't actually let the bidder combine. But the lack of communication is the red flag here. I think you are right to pay and then deal with it when you get the items. Technically they didn't make a profit out of you, they shipped the two auctions separately, (providing you get both), so ultimately there's no scam, it's just disorganised.

I wonder if the lack of communication means something has happened to prevent the usual seller from operating the business and someone else is filling in, filling invoices and shipping items but not really getting involved in details like this. Have you looked to see if there are other comments in the feedback that suggest a lack of communication or whether the seller usually communicates well? That might help figure out if this is a problem beyond the seller's control somehow, or them being annoying.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »
Have you looked to see if there are other comments in the feedback that suggest a lack of communication or whether the seller usually communicates well? That might help figure out if this is a problem beyond the seller's control somehow, or them being annoying.

That didnt occur to me! Great idea.

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 01:14:28 AM »
Shipping can be combined if the seller allows it, however it must be paid on one invoice (this is where you would request a total). This is how it has always worked for me when I have combined shipping on eBay.

This is sorta true, but not true. For domestic packages-- as long as the item hasn't shipped (or label hasn't been created over the weight limit), the seller is capable of putting the packages together and giving a refund for excess shipping fee. The refund can be given at any time.

Good to know: thank you!

Sorry it didn't work out Prince_Sunbeam, how annoying.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »
For domestic packages-- as long as the item hasn't shipped (or label hasn't been created over the weight limit), the seller is capable of putting the packages together and giving a refund for excess shipping fee. The refund can be given at any time.
True, this can be done, but remember that in this case the seller will have had to pay more fees than if the auctions had been together on one invoice, so please try to avoid it!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal