collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Worst/Weirdest/Outrageous Ebay Auctions  (Read 7775 times)

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
Worst/Weirdest/Outrageous Ebay Auctions
« on: September 19, 2018, 02:14:59 PM »
OK so I found this auction of LOT OF 5 VINTAGE HASBRO MY LITTLE PONIES PONY HORSE HAIR ANIMAL DOLLS!  LOL  (It's a group of fakies.)  Not sure if we're allowed to post auctions not our own, but this one is easily findable.  And for the low, low price of 18.50.  (screenshot below as suggested)

And of course there are those who charge ridiculous amounts of money for common ponies, or have very strange titles and/or descriptions, etc..

So that got me wondering, what have been the weirdest, most outrageous ebay (or other) pony auctions you've found?  Because now I am curious.

The title and description crack me up, and it starts at such a low bid!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:54:45 PM by hyenacub »

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Worst/Weirdest/Outrageous Ebay Auctions
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 02:26:46 PM »
You can take screenshots and post those, I believe!  ^.^
There was that one from a few months ago of some really common G1s listed for $5k. The lot even included fakies. I'm fairly certain paradise-estate on Tumblr had a screenshot somewhere but I can't find it!
Sometimes the G4 McDonalds are $10 apiece.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 02:48:24 PM »
5 thousand???  You know, I have got to think that some people are just trolling...no one can think that these guys ar worth that much!

Oh, a screengrab, good idea!  I'll do that, thanks.  c:

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Kikwifluff

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Bait ponies need love too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 04:33:34 PM »
You can take screenshots and post those, I believe!  ^.^
There was that one from a few months ago of some really common G1s listed for $5k. The lot even included fakies. I'm fairly certain paradise-estate on Tumblr had a screenshot somewhere but I can't find it!
Sometimes the G4 McDonalds are $10 apiece.

I saw that one!!! I remember posting about it (I’m all the plastic ponies on tumblr)
I’ll go see if I can dig up my post!

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 04:55:48 PM »
the craziest one I came across, (and forgive me because I don't have a link or screen grab) was for a "custom" apple delight with "hand painted and inserted eyes". It went on an on about all the hard work some customizer had done to inset the eyes and how they couldn't believe how pristine the paint job was....It was a lanard fakie with "glass" eyes

I emailed the seller with picture examples of the exact same pony trying to be nice and explain they had made a mistake, they emailed me back saying they KNEW the customizer and that I was just trying to get a deal out of them and that they weren't going to change the price, which incidently I can't remember I want to say it was like 50$ for this fakie that they wanted but I wrote them back and politely reiterated that I was just trying to help and I wasn't even the slightest bit interested in purchasing their item...

I wish them no ill will but I honestly don't know what to think of this person who was  apparently convinced that they had a one of a kind item despite me showing them examples of  mass produced duplicates of the very same item....

Lesson learned...don't try to help delusional people

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 05:02:00 PM »
Found one!
$800 for a ComicCon exclusive with some sort of rating by a system that pony collectors don't use? It better be a 10 if you're charging this much for it. It goes for around $50 MiB.

You wanna slow down there?

Um?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline justinb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 05:09:25 PM »
Found one!
$800 for a ComicCon exclusive with some sort of rating by a system that pony collectors don't use? It better be a 10 if you're charging this much for it. It goes for around $50 MiB.

You wanna slow down there?

Um?

$39 for 24 months... Not to bad, no?  :lol:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 05:18:27 PM »
OK so I found this auction of LOT OF 5 VINTAGE HASBRO MY LITTLE PONIES PONY HORSE HAIR ANIMAL DOLLS!  LOL  (It's a group of fakies.)  Not sure if we're allowed to post auctions not our own, but this one is easily findable.  And for the low, low price of 18.50.  (screenshot below as suggested)

Eh, I mean if shipping is $4... that is <$3 per pony. That's not really in the realm of outrageous at all.

However, (I don't feel like screen capping)...
The person who is selling "Vintage My Little Pony Colombia 80's BOOTLEG from Colombia VERY RARE" for $500
(Just a common fakie)... that person is being pretty deliberate.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 06:13:11 PM »
However, (I don't feel like screen capping)...
The person who is selling "Vintage My Little Pony Colombia 80's BOOTLEG from Colombia VERY RARE" for $500
(Just a common fakie)... that person is being pretty deliberate.

They are acknowledging it is a bootleg, but charging $500? Gosh.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 06:55:43 PM »
10 piece lot of MLP G4 figurines, loaded with PVC plastic at the low, low price of $2,468.94! (plus $5.52 shipping)

Well nuts, and I missed it!

the craziest one I came across, (and forgive me because I don't have a link or screen grab) was for a "custom" apple delight with "hand painted and inserted eyes". It went on an on about all the hard work some customizer had done to inset the eyes and how they couldn't believe how pristine the paint job was....It was a lanard fakie with "glass" eyes

Oh, wow.  I imagine they learned when it never sold.  Their customizer friend took them for a ride!

Found one!

Yikes!  It seems like they got the item as it is, with the plastic case, and thinks the 9.0 means something...when it's probably  store code or something LOL

Eh, I mean if shipping is $4... that is <$3 per pony. That's not really in the realm of outrageous at all.

I suppose if fakies are your thing, and you're willing to buy them for that.  But the fact that he claims them to be Hasbro MLP....

PLus the wording is hilarious XD  The "Columbian bootleg" is pretty brazen though!

I love seeing crazy auctions LOL

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 06:56:40 PM »
I saw one not too long ago advertised as My Little Pony lot with fakies. The only real MLP was a McDonald's Happy Meal toy and the rest were fakies. :lol:

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 07:13:57 PM »

I suppose if fakies are your thing, and you're willing to buy them for that.  But the fact that he claims them to be Hasbro MLP....

Nah, I don't think that listing is all like "AUTHENTIC MLP!!", it's more like the MLP is being used as a generic search term since its a plastic pony. It's pretty common. Even people who know the names of their fakies will put that in the title, because it will get people to look at their auctions.

It's not a good deal, sure, but it's far from outrageous.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:16:36 PM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 08:38:59 PM »
The MLP in the plastic case is using a system that other collectibles (particularly action figures!) use, called grading.  It's a legit thing, but only for collectors who like their figures to be 1000% perfect from the factory.  Those of us who like to de-box and brush/style hair would cause those kinds of collectors to clutch their chests and have a heart attack :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 09:13:54 PM »
Grading is common for collectibles, but more prevalent with trading cards and comics.  That's the first MLP item I've seen graded.  A 9 is actually pretty good; 10's are not guaranteed even for absolutely pristine pack fresh cards (as an example), because it also accounts for things like centring and print quality.  It's a dubious investment of effort though when your target market of collectors don't really care about the pristine-ness of the outer packaging...
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 09:32:42 PM »

Grading is common for collectibles, but more prevalent with trading cards and comics.  That's the first MLP item I've seen graded.  A 9 is actually pretty good; 10's are not guaranteed even for absolutely pristine pack fresh cards (as an example), because it also accounts for things like centring and print quality.  It's a dubious investment of effort though when your target market of collectors don't really care about the pristine-ness of the outer packaging...
I've seen a few other listings graded (MiB G3 was rated an 8), but I'm not sure if it was from this one user. They're certainly overpriced when they do come up, which makes me think it probably is all from this one person.
I like that in this instance, you can't even see the pony inside, nor can you open the case to get to it. Although I suppose you could just grade the box...

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal