collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How do/did you do G4?

Haven't burnt out yet!
22 (11.1%)
Started very intensely, experiencing fatigue
32 (16.2%)
Focusing on one character/line
15 (7.6%)
Very rare purchases
76 (38.4%)
I have stopped completely
29 (14.6%)
I've never started collecting G4
24 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 166

Author Topic: How Many G4 Collectors Left?  (Read 11453 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: How Many G4 Collectors Left?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 06:49:07 AM »
I only collect non mane 6 characters, and I only pick up Mane 6 if they appeal to me at the carboot sale (so I have a lot of water cuties and rainbow powers because the colour schemes make them look like different ponies). I only look in toy stores because of a couple of AA ponies I don't have, but if I never find them I don't really care.

My disdain for the series is repetitive toys that lack any kind of imagination and the fact I really don't like the television show. So I got into G4 only when I found a few in Finland in 2011 and I have always just picked up ponies if I like them, not with any obsessive need to complete or spend stupid amounts on them.

They're not G1. My heart broke as a kid when I found out G1 had ended. I haven't hated any generation toywise since G1, although 3.5 is really odd. But I haven't felt the same connection, either. So I don't really care when those lines end and there's something new or nothing at all. It's fine. I am much more hyped about the retros, even with them being rereleases of the same ponies. Because, frankly, there have been more versions of Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle in the last 5 years than there have been versions of Windy and Sunlight in the last 35.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 07:09:59 AM »
I'm still collecting as much as I ever did: I pick up what I like and leave everything else. Haven't liked a lot of the recent releases (and the stuff I DO like didn't make it over here.. -glances at last few waves of blindbags-) so things have been slow lately, but.. ?? I dunno, does that still count as actively collecting?

Offline Alipes

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Custom and Diorama Photo Gallery
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 07:50:55 AM »
I stopped buying completely when they switched to the new molds.  I still have a good amount of custom bait of the old style G4's left over, and I certainly have plenty of inspiration to work on customs, but I am setting aside some of the released ponies to sell, since I'm not as thrilled with some of the designs anymore.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 07:56:06 AM »
I'm not fond of G4 due to the show, insane parts of the subset fans, hyper-focus on the mane sux, the way they look and distinct intent to steer clear of its roots of being both a brushable  horse toyline and as a collectable with tons of variety.

I got in really late, when the Water Cuties started popping up. I have about 20 some odd ponies and am almost finished. Just need another water cutie, some merponies,  school of friendship, and the bat pony.

The only new mould ponies I've bought are the mers, a boy and Songbird Serenade.

I'm hoping that G5 will return as a variated brushable horse toyline and I'm still mostly focused on G1 and G3.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:04:51 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline RoseNoire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 08:01:23 AM »
I've never got into G4s. At first, I didn't like their pose very much, but then I ended up thinking "eh, they are fine, I guess" since the new mold (G4.5) showed up because those are worse. lol. But still, I don't like them enough. The only G4s brushables I have were gifts (4) plus one from a lot. They are doing good in my glass cabinet, one of them is a custom I want to start over with.
I'm a bit more into the first McDonald's versions and I happen to pick some of them up in flea markets when they're not too expensive.
And I also have one blind bag as a gift, too*. The only thing I actually bought was a box of sparkly mane 6 "blind bags" plus one green male back in 2012~ish and a Fluttershy keychain at the end of last year.

So, yeah, overall, let's say I've never started to collect G4s. I hope G5s will be more satisfying.

* : Well... I went to check on it in my glass cabinet and it seems like I've lost it. Hope I'll find it again. That's not fun. 3:
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+152)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 08:40:26 AM »
Only collect big McIntosh, shining armor and nightmare moon....o and brushable boy....😂 So one other...lol

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 08:53:42 AM »
Not sure which poll option I'd most accurately fall under so I haven't voted yet. Right now I've been buying G4s that are either new or less commonly made characters, and ponies with gimmicks that I'm drawn to. The past year and a half I had added a lot to my collection since G4.5 had begun, so I wanted to get as many characters in that G4.5 style as I could. I do have multiple versions of some Mane 6 ponies, for both G4 and G4.5, and in most instances the subsequent ones were either thrift finds, or they came with sets that had other non-Mane 6 ponies with them. I do thrift all ponies I don't already own and this does apply to different releases of the same characters, so that's how I've ended up with a lot of Pinkie Pies, Rainbow Dashes, etc. Though there are sometimes different versions of the Mane 6 that I do buy new because their gimmicks appeal to me, such as all of the pearlized seaponies, the regular pearlized Mane 6 from before the reboot, and the first All About Fluttershy (I really love the scene on that one).

At the moment there's not many new pony things out from this current toy reset that interests me much. I adore Cutie Mark Crew so I'd like to get a ton of those, but aside from that, the only other things I plan on getting are the Silly Faces Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. But that's less so actually thinking they're good toys, and more that I tend to be drawn toward the more weird pony toys in addition to ones that I genuinely love. Those Silly Faces ponies are terrifying and I'm drawn to them because of it. :P

I am interested a bit in that set with the CMC at Walmart, but the $50 price puts me off considering I'd only be getting it for three ponies, and I dislike the painted clothing, so I think I'll just hold off and see if they release the CMC in G4.5 form without terrible painted clothes and not in an expensive set.

Most of the regular pony toys for the fall season that caught my attention aren't out yet and will be coming in a few months. Stuff like the sets with Sandbar and Silverstream, the Best Gift Ever line (look, I'm a sucker for pearlized ponies, I eat that up), and the glittery TAF-esque singles. The only normal ponies from the first half of the fall season I plan on buying like I said before are the Silly Faces ponies, and that's purely out of my odd tendency to be drawn toward the more weird pony toys and merchandise.

Mostly I've been focusing on expanding my Shopkins collection, which I just started almost three months ago. That's got a lot more variety than MLP at the moment....

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 10:32:16 AM »
I liked the blind bag figures, but was eventually overwhelmed.  The original brushables are cute and I have a few.  But I'm not looking to expand into the new molds.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 11:00:42 AM »
I still pick up new Fluttershy toys, but only when they're on offer.

Other than that, I'm burned out on G4. I think I got tired of seeing Twilight, Rainbow and Pinkie everywhere. These days I don't even see Fluttershy as much as I used to.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 11:02:20 AM »
I used to have a small collection of G4s in the early days purely because "yay! ponies! nostalgia!", but then I kind of figured that was a naff excuse to be collecting something, especially as I'm not a fan of the art style in G4 (to each their own, if I had my way I'd be holding out for Rococo-style ponies!), so I passed them on to someone who would appreciate them more.

Offline babypowder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • Thanks to Ponyland Press for my adoptable
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 11:12:12 AM »
I used to collect them a lot, but since I have a pretty strict 1 pony per character rule (2-3 for the main 6) that means I've got almost everyone so it's slowed down quite a bit. Plus, I'm not as big of a fan of the new models.
Cutie Marks for Cutie Marks!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 11:32:57 AM »
I'm always open to collecting something if it catches my eye :)

So I picked rare purchases

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 01:28:08 PM »
I collect the blue/green G4 ponies and the babies.  Since there aren't very many of those, my active G4 collecting is pretty non-existent.  :D 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »
I've never bothered BUT I do like the look of the new seapony babies, so I may get those.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 03:29:02 PM »
I've never bothered BUT I do like the look of the new seapony babies, so I may get those.

They're very cute Loa. :)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal