collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How do/did you do G4?

Haven't burnt out yet!
22 (11.1%)
Started very intensely, experiencing fatigue
32 (16.2%)
Focusing on one character/line
15 (7.6%)
Very rare purchases
76 (38.4%)
I have stopped completely
29 (14.6%)
I've never started collecting G4
24 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 166

Author Topic: How Many G4 Collectors Left?  (Read 11598 times)

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How Many G4 Collectors Left?
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2018, 08:53:27 AM »
I am burnt out on the mane six, other than some newer gen 4 and some much older ones I am done.  I would love to find tempest in the wild but my wall mart stinks. The pony section is ever shrinking.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2018, 01:17:29 AM »
I wonder how popular these will be(come) as collectible in a couple of years like other Gens - G2 certainly garnered a loyal following years after its end, but at least that line had pose and character diversity.

It will depend on when the kids who have grown up with G4 grow up and reach that age. Just like with the G3 collectors who have reached that age and now are looking back to their childhood collections. G2 was kind of different because it was so badly sold in the US and so those who grew up with them as kids are mostly in Europe...it doesn't necessarily follow that all of them speak English so G2 has become kind of a niche collection that has gradually grown in popularity among other collectors, not just those who grew up with them.

G3 were popular from the outset, like G1 and G4, but then saturated the market, like G1 did and G4 also are doing, and ultimately went out of vogue and got sold off cheaply. G3 and G4 both had adults collecting at the time they were out, though, so it's probable a MIP pony from those generations isn't going to reach G1 prices easily. Although the fact that some G4 prices are already inflated is a bit concerning...I feel like the bottom is falling out of the collectable market for G4 and that prices are going to seriously crash - so spending $50 or more on a G4 is highly risky right now, even if she wasn't sold in your area.

I am personally hoping to find a flood of Holly Dashes here which, when the price bombs and they're all worth nothing, I can then trade for ponies not sold in my area to people who couldn't get her. I miss trading pony for pony without $ values getting in the way, so that is my ultimate hope for G4 collecting. Maybe that's kind of weird.

I still like the earlier ones that aren't mane 6 though and would trade for them or buy them if I found them second hand. It's the repetitive mane 6 that are stifling this line, not G4 in general.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2018, 01:49:44 AM »
Definitely agreeing with everyone here saying "Very rare," that was my vote as well. Only new characters for me, too! I've really only ever collected characters other than the Mane 6 anyway. I have one of each of them except for Twerlot Sporkle and now actively avoid them all if I can.
Even now, if they did release new characters, I'd have a hard time buying one because of the mold changes. I did really like the merponies, but they had a bit of a different face because of their breed so I was okay with it.
I do still really love the boy molds though. Snapped up Soarin in a heartbeat and have been circling like a shark for Sandbar.

Definitely have never focused much on G4 all around though I'd say, I prefer G1, 2 and 3. Very interested to see what becomes of G5.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 01:52:20 AM by Esbayne »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2018, 06:19:46 AM »
I feel like future G4 collectors might have a merchandise bend rather than a "mostly pony toys" bend.  Like for someone whose favorite character was Fluttershy, maybe they will be going for Fluttershy banks, umbrellas, suitcases, etc.   
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline chateaushelton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • When your 8yo discovered the magnetic hooves
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2018, 10:14:48 AM »
I'm not very familiar with the G4 line since I haven't watched much of the show. However, they have been popping up on the local secondhand market - so I pick them up when I see them. I have enough now to call it a collection  :)

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2018, 11:45:16 AM »
I think im with the very rare. I almost have stopped with it completely though I still trade for them. :)

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2018, 02:09:16 PM »
I still pick up the simple figures of the characters I love, but I have no interest in owning every iteration of Applejack.

Offline Evilunicorn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Always tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »
I really only collect anything Muffins or Luna related with the very rare occasional pony I like the color scheme or cutie mark of.

Offline faespirit

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Will there be exciting sights to see...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2018, 10:45:00 PM »
Really the only reason why I'm still a g4 collector is because I still have a few more ponies left to get from early in the line back when there were non mane 6 characters. ( the now "rare" ponies) Otherwise if I had them all I would have stopped long ago because those re-releases of the mane 6 are really really really getting so annoying..stg we need more variety of characters Hasbro but that will never happen because it's almost over for g4 and they're not putting much effort. :pout:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 10:49:11 PM by fanime5 »

Offline lordalexander74

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2018, 02:49:17 PM »
Started out strong, had a focus on Applejack merchandise  (Both official and fan-made) about a year or two into the height of the G4 fandom. Slowed down significantly nowadays, I'm not a fan of the newer G4 molds. Besides, older gen MLP toys actually look like ponies, G4's kinda remind me of mice.
Thanks to Lunacat for the lovely art

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2018, 03:13:01 PM »
I've stopped collecting G4 since the switch to new molds. I only picked up the male ponies.

This happened to me too!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2018, 04:52:11 PM »
I've stopped collecting G4 since the switch to new molds. I only picked up the male ponies.

This happened to me too!

I don't really like the newer moulds but I have a few. I was given the new star-glittery Trixie and AA Songbird Serenade for Christmas and I've a few other AA ponies (Soarin, Tempest) because they're different...but it doesn';t bother me much if the newest line out in the US don't get to the UK. I'm more interested in the retros...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpaceButtPonies

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 6v9
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2018, 06:19:05 PM »
I still enjoy G4. I now only collect new released ponies or anything Muffins related (though its definitely slowed down since nothing new of her has been released.)

With Hasbro's non stop re-releasing of the main 6 collecting them has been a bore when going down the toy aisle. Oh... look... a bunch of Rainbow Dash, Pinkie's, and Twilight's...... >->

Siggy made by tailrustedtealeaf

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2018, 10:21:28 PM »
I love G4 and would buy more if I had money/room so my purchases are rare. Last things I bought were a Rarity and Capper set and pirate Fluttershy that were on clearance a few months ago.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline OleGrayMane

• Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2018, 11:31:07 AM »
Still collecting, mostly filling gaps rather than expanding into new sets. As always, the price has to be right, and that's only been happening with new-old stock at the discounters. Now the G3 collection... that's expanding a lot more.

Never gave up, and still not sick of them! I love G4!

:shocked: That's like an army of armies!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal