collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How do/did you do G4?

Haven't burnt out yet!
22 (11.1%)
Started very intensely, experiencing fatigue
32 (16.2%)
Focusing on one character/line
15 (7.6%)
Very rare purchases
76 (38.4%)
I have stopped completely
29 (14.6%)
I've never started collecting G4
24 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 166

Author Topic: How Many G4 Collectors Left?  (Read 11621 times)

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
Re: How Many G4 Collectors Left?
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2018, 02:52:29 PM »
But seriously, yikes, just look at the G4.5 Cadance’s legs... Is it honestly even a horse anymore?

This.
So much this.
With whipped cream on top.

And the bulbous heads and doofy eyes that make them look cross-eyed when you look at them straight-on. They were pretty rough with pre-2017 ponies, but anything in G4.5 is AWFUL. They don't look nearly as elegant as pre-2017.

durrrrr
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2018, 03:51:41 PM »
It's also worth mentioning that around the time Cadence was being added into the toy line, Celestia lost her frivolous pink model. If I had to guess, it was because they had a new "pretty pink princess" now, and better yet, they could make bank off of a wedding playset with her.
You're right on that! Cadance was essentially a replacement for Pink Celestia.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2018, 05:23:33 PM »
It's a vicious circle between the retailers and the toy companies.  Companies like Wal-Mart, Target, and the late TRU (rip) have a lot of influence. They don't HAVE to put every Hasbro toy on their shelves.  And if they think a toy won't sell, they'll make requests (or demands).  Like:  "Make big talking pony pink.  Girls love pink."

I suspect that's why Celestia originally got changed to pink.  Hasbro originally did intend for her to be white, as her prototype is white on all the backcards of her toys--even the Pinkestia era ones. :P

And yeah, I totally agree that Cadence got selected to fulfill the "pink princess" role after fans clamored for white Celestia.  Lauren Faust even commented that Cadence was originally designed to be a unicorn.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »
I do thought still have two of them in my collection. Both of them are customs to look like G1 ponies. 

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2018, 06:06:22 PM »
I don't know about the whole pink Celestia thing, there. More recent official art from the movie have given her a pink hue.

I like this Celestia more than the pure white or pure pink, myself.

Even then, the toys of Cadance are not the baby cotton candy pink that she is in the show, and that's been since her inception. The toys pre-movie have made her more of a fuchsia pink than the pink Celestia is/was, so I have some doubt that everything we have heard has been 100% the truth between the toys and whatnot.

If they were more on point with the ponies' accessories and colors (...and less creepy toys...) I would be more into getting newer ones, despite the overuse of the mane 6. I really don't mind that- I mind the necessity for over-suspension of disbelief that you have to have with the current toys (the legs of these molds being stuck together :\ ) and how they just are not lifted straight from the show cannon (the gowns from the Grand Galloping Gala only being available years later, and for Build-A-Bear plushies, but not for the figures).

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2018, 09:02:03 PM »
I REALLY dislike the new brushable molds. Something about their balloon heads noodle legs, and tiny pointed snouts really displeases me! I like the older generation 4 molds much better and found myself buying any new character they released, and the occasional re-release of the core 6 and princesses if the gimmick/design was interesting. It’s a shame, because I’d love to buy the brushables! Especially the new characters like Big Mac and Soarin! The last G4 pony I purchased was Princess Skystar.
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2018, 02:21:05 AM »
I'm still going strong ... sort of? The panicky "gotta catch 'em ALL" has faded significantly, so you don't find me obsessively stalking the toy aisle so much these days. Mostly, I try to wait for stuff I REALLY like (or that is HTF, like anything Luna!), and wait for sales on the other stuff. I've been pretty good at keeping up with the blind bags, since I know they're a nightmare to track down individually secondhand, but otherwise I'm taking things slow. Still check the pony aisle every time I'm at the store, though!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2018, 03:11:57 AM »
I haven't bought anything from a store for years. My love for the toyline quickly vanished once they were done with new single characters.

I wnated to get Skystar because I thought the hippogriff mould was unique enough to blend in with the old!mould ponies I still had.
But I never saw her in stores and when she popped up online the set she was in was overpriced.

I started to watch the show again one year ago to catch up on all the seasons I had missed and when Starlight Glimmer appeared I suddenly had a reason to be interested in G4's storyline again, so when I see Starlight I am tempted to get her. But so far I haven't had much luck on that front either.

I am so ready for G5. I have been ready for years.
Outside of a few cartoon episodes G4 just isn't very interesting to me anymore. I still love my rare G4s, tho. I have cut down on a lot of G4 but I will always treasure my Starswirl and Rainbow Flash :lol:

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2018, 05:39:22 AM »
I'm still buying some of the toys, but I haven't been so enthusiastic about most of the new stuff. I'm really only buying non-Mane 6 characters now unless I like the gimmick.

Offline vira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2018, 12:36:36 PM »
I'm actually pretty happy with the new poses! :-P I think they're more fun and dynamic than the previous ones. However, I don't buy a lot of G4s. Like many others have said, I don't need more of the Mane Six, and that seems to be all they're putting out! Not to mention the abysmal quality control.

I'm so disappointed that Skystar and Capper and the like only come in packs with Mane 6 toys. I want the movie characters, but I'm not going to pay $15 dollars, (at what I make, that comes out to almost TWO HOURS OF MY LIFE!!!), for a poorly made hippogriff and a duplicate pony.

I'm going to buy the Ultimate Equestria Collection, (mostly because I love the princesses), and that's going to be my last Big Purchase of the rest of the toyline. I just don't see Hasbro changing their production style this late in the game, so I doubt they're going to put out anything else I want.

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2018, 12:53:04 PM »
Yeah I have done with this line my self, I will keep all the non main 6 characters (bar applejack for my army) I have just because it took so long to find them at good prices. Other than that I do not intent to increase them by any more.

I do need to buy something to display them on however currently they fit in to a small storage box so they are not exactly taking up Mitch room till I can sort them out.

Though I might be the only person in the world with out a pinkie pie  :P

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2018, 08:58:34 PM »
Definitely feeling the burnout as far as G4 is concerned. After the reboot I've bought very little.  Soarin, Tempest Shadow, Songbird Serenade and I think that's it. The reboot figures just don't do it for me as much and Guardians of Harmony seems to be fizzling out as well so there's not much left I'm interested in.

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2018, 04:19:29 AM »
I wonder how popular these will be(come) as collectible in a couple of years like other Gens - G2 certainly garnered a loyal following years after its end, but at least that line had pose and character diversity.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2018, 05:47:34 AM »
very rare purchases, unless it's not a mane 6 character. I did buy a few of the CMC blind capsules, with some unopened right now... but as for as normal ponies... unless I'm baiting them I don't buy them.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline okamigirl64

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2018, 06:41:58 AM »
Never gave up, and still not sick of them! I love G4!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal