collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How do/did you do G4?

Haven't burnt out yet!
22 (11.1%)
Started very intensely, experiencing fatigue
32 (16.2%)
Focusing on one character/line
15 (7.6%)
Very rare purchases
76 (38.4%)
I have stopped completely
29 (14.6%)
I've never started collecting G4
24 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 166

Author Topic: How Many G4 Collectors Left?  (Read 11455 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
How Many G4 Collectors Left?
« on: September 18, 2018, 05:57:58 PM »
Just curious what with all the negative reviews/thoughts toward G4 I've been seeing. With the generation (hopefully potentially) wrapping up, I'd like to see who's left! I hope 2 votes is enough for everyone.
Personally, I started out collecting in general with G4, but I've started focusing only on the Cutie Mark Crew and I'm looking to thin out the superfluous ponies (so many Pinkies) to make room for G5. I think part of it may be that it's mostly my money now rather than my parent's where I think a bit more about what exactly I'm spending.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
Re: How Many G4 Collectors Left?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 06:05:22 PM »
I've stopped collecting G4 since the switch to new molds. I only picked up the male ponies. There are a few more I want to get, as I'd like one of each pony (so I'm missing characters like spitfire, tempest, and some of the original mold side characters), but it's been pushed to the backburner. I check the toy aisles with disdain and find myself seeking out items for my other collections. My dying love of G4 has kinda pushed me away from pony, I hope G5 fixes it.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 06:13:50 PM »
I've stopped collecting completely at this point and recently reduced my collection down to just 11 ponies. I still do pay attention to releases and would buy if something caught my interest but that is unlikely. I never got on with the reboot style besides the boys, much like you it seems Bekuno. With Funko vinyls stopping and mini figures getting too repetitive there was really nothing else left for me. I stopped collecting random merch much earlier. I still watch the show, though not super invested, and I love my few figures I have left but it's definitely run its course for me and I'm ready for it to end.
I'm still lurking around the arena though, obviously  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 06:20:14 PM by Flitter »

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 06:31:35 PM »
I will still pick up new/unique characters but they are few and far between.  I’m concentrating more on the retro and vintage ponies right now.

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 07:05:43 PM »
I <3 G4,  but I am not all that into the redesign that they did for the movie toys. I have all of the ones from G4 that I would like, though I really can't bring myself to want ALL of the G4.5. There are very specific ones that I want, mostly of Starlight Glimmer, Sunset Shimmer, Rarity and Applejack. I like some of the princesses, I want all of the colts and seaponies/hippogriffs, but not all of the 4.5 line.

Currently I am focusing more on retros and recovering my lost collection of G1s. Have most of the G3s I want save for one I am constantly on the hunt for, and I am passively collecting some G2. I switched gears when G4.5 came around and I just couldn't stand how most of them looked.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:10:06 PM by Sweet Daes »

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 07:07:40 PM »
I'd actually say my G4 collecting has increased since the change to the new G4.5 molds. It's for a variety of reasons. I certainly enjoy the new designs and dynamic poses, buy it's also got a lot to do with international postage prices increasing again and again, making G4 more accessible than G1.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 07:07:58 PM »
Only interested if/when there are new characters :-)
I just bought the new TAF-style Trixie the other day! She's pretty :heart:

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 07:14:22 PM »
I’ve been kinda focusing on the Cutie Mark Crew lately, because honestly, the quality of the brushables stinks.  But I’ll get a brushable every now and again if it’s a character I love.  But, really, I’m just staying for the Cutie Mark Crew. 

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 07:19:43 PM »
I never collected that much of G4 because I like collecting one of each character/new characters and Hasbro doesn't really do that much anymore. But like others here, I stopped entirely on the reboot. Same thing happened to me with the monster high reboot. If they have some variety in g5 I'll get back to buying them.

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 09:56:31 PM »
I was never hardcore into collecting G4.  I do still buy the occasional pony, and I've been buying a lot of the Cutie Mark Crew lately.  They are just too stinking cute!

I like the post reboot ponies more, they have a lot more variety than the poses that came before.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 11:05:08 PM »
I chose very rare purchases. I picked up the Pearly Mane 6 and the Pearly Cadence and Shining Armor today but otherwise I haven't bought one in months.

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 01:17:07 AM »
I was never deeply into buying G4s, but I would occasionally pick up a cute pony here and there. I feel I've got all the G4s I want now. I'm waiting to see if G5 is cute!

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 01:27:38 AM »
I started off with tons of love and excitement for G4. I was so burnt out from G3.5 that I took a break from MLP and didn't even know a reboot was happening! My dad happened to run across the 1st FiM episode and recorded it for me and I was immediately hooked! I remember really stalking the stores around here in those first few months waiting for the new toys to hit. And when they did I bought nearly everything! It was more fun at the beginning honestly, the show was new and fresh with all kinds of potential and the toys had some variety! Even though the mane 6 dominated, there were still new characters mixed in.

But now I'm burnt out on this generation. The show has well run its course and I'm so sick of the mane 6. Their characters don't really interest me anymore and how many of the same pony does one person need? The only time we see new characters released it seems like they're packaged with some member of the mane 6, so you're stuck getting yet another duplicate if you want that pony! I think even kids must be tired, all the stores around here have severely cut back on the size of their pony sections. A lot of stores don't even have an overhead marker for them anymore! They're just tucked in between other more popular lines.

I'm just really glad Bridge Direct/Basic Fun is doing the 35th ponies. I've had a lot of fun hunting for them and collecting them, even if they are re releases! :P At least they've been off store shelves for decades! They feel new again!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+202)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 02:43:49 AM »
I have no issues with this line ending soon. All the re-releases are so dull and uninspiring.
My last purchases were Tempest Shadow and Soarin'. Only new character brushables for me :\

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 04:46:49 AM »
I got in at ground zero with the toyline and obsessively collected all the brushables, right up until Rainbow Power when a good 60-70% of the sets just didn’t come to Aus stores :huh: it was going to be a huge hassle to import and I started really focussing on what I truly wanted and what I could live without. What I loved most was new characters and those were getting few and far between... the G4’s sat on the shelf for a while without getting anyone new added in, then I packed them all away in boxes and stored them in the cupboard while focussing on other collections including G1 ponies. Eventually about 18 mths ago I dug them out and did a massive purge, hundreds of brushables and plush and playsets gone, with only my top faves remaining. I feel much happier now and I’m content to add only 1-2 new ponies a year as they release new characters (Tempest and Sandbar most recently).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal