collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Opinion on the near-ponies (all gens)  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion on the near-ponies (all gens)
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 07:51:40 PM »
I think of the kirin as being closely related to ponies because I played PonyIsland for years and they had kirins as a breed.  :P

They also had valkyries, which I would love to see in the franchise . . . ponies with flame hair and ram horns.  I guess flame hair would be a big problematic as far as toys go, though.  But then again, if Trim 'n Grow Dream Beauties came with scissors, would it be soooo bad for valkyries to come with a Bic lighter?  (Okay, yes it would. :P )

Clearly you were the reason for kids PSAs. XD
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 01:42:26 AM »
ehhh,
Kirin are not and will never be equine to me. I know they have various incarnations and at least in Japanese the word gets used for both unicorn and giraffe as well as proper kirin...

In Japan kirin are more deer like than equine. And from what I can see of China, they are anotger amalgamation of species.

So definitely not kirin for me. 

As for the rest...flutters, wingers, sea and merponies are all fine by me. Zebras are a related species one step more distant than unicorn/earth/peg are from each other.  I don't know enough about the other g4 species to comment but my understanding of the Changelings is that they are shape shifters..?

Ehhh, I agree somewhat, but I think the MLP FiM kirin look more pony than deer;
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And for me, it's a hard line to draw; the saddle Arabians greatly resemble g2 in body size and proportions. So it's a tough call.

Goodness, FIM smiles are so creepy annoying no matter what species they're on.

Looking at that, the ears and stuff don't make me think it's meant to be that horsey, tbh. Especially since Japanese kirin are NOT equine. Since FIM chose to use the Japanese pronuniciation for the term 麒麟, they *should* be reflecting what a kirin is in Japanese folklore, rather than across the board. SO we should probably assume it's meant to be more deer-related based on that.

Japan does use kirin キリン for giraffe as well, I think that comes from China originally, but that's clearly not as giraffe (lol). And when it gets used for unicorn its usually the western definition of a unicorn, I think.

I am pretty sure if FIM were doing their job properly, they'd know that kirin are neither horse nor deer, but if they're using the Japanese term, they're thinking more deer than horse. And that image is unclear but honestly, it's not-horse enough to make me think they were trying to go with deer. It's just that FIM ponies already look way too deer like in general, it's a lot harder to tell...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 10:18:58 AM »
ehhh,
Kirin are not and will never be equine to me. I know they have various incarnations and at least in Japanese the word gets used for both unicorn and giraffe as well as proper kirin...

In Japan kirin are more deer like than equine. And from what I can see of China, they are anotger amalgamation of species.

So definitely not kirin for me. 

As for the rest...flutters, wingers, sea and merponies are all fine by me. Zebras are a related species one step more distant than unicorn/earth/peg are from each other.  I don't know enough about the other g4 species to comment but my understanding of the Changelings is that they are shape shifters..?

Ehhh, I agree somewhat, but I think the MLP FiM kirin look more pony than deer;

And for me, it's a hard line to draw; the saddle Arabians greatly resemble g2 in body size and proportions. So it's a tough call.

Goodness, FIM smiles are so creepy annoying no matter what species they're on.

Looking at that, the ears and stuff don't make me think it's meant to be that horsey, tbh. Especially since Japanese kirin are NOT equine. Since FIM chose to use the Japanese pronuniciation for the term 麒麟, they *should* be reflecting what a kirin is in Japanese folklore, rather than across the board. SO we should probably assume it's meant to be more deer-related based on that.

Japan does use kirin キリン for giraffe as well, I think that comes from China originally, but that's clearly not as giraffe (lol). And when it gets used for unicorn its usually the western definition of a unicorn, I think.

I am pretty sure if FIM were doing their job properly, they'd know that kirin are neither horse nor deer, but if they're using the Japanese term, they're thinking more deer than horse. And that image is unclear but honestly, it's not-horse enough to make me think they were trying to go with deer. It's just that FIM ponies already look way too deer like in general, it's a lot harder to tell...

Well fim animators don't even know what a horse looks like, or a hyppogriff. So it's no surprise there.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 10:43:24 AM »

That's true. FIM ponies don't look like ponies.  At all.  So I guess that's why FIM kirin fall into the pony category for me?  They look like the same animal.  Like how dogs breeds can look dramatically different from each other but still be dogs.  If they had made their version of a kirin look like more like how they should, I'd think differently.  Same with sea ponies.  They are ponies to me but the real animals are very different from each other.  Fantasy versions vs. real life version?

It's not especially important to me if they're a variant of FIM pony or not.   But those were my initial thoughts when I saw them.  And now I've typed them out.

Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 10:49:38 AM »
They don't even look like deer. The muzzle is too short and legs to bell-bottomy. They look like apple head chihuahuas with a horses tail.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 11:01:07 AM »
They don't even look like deer. The muzzle is too short and legs to bell-bottomy. They look like apple head chihuahuas with a horses tail.

So I guess what we take from this discussion is that even the FIM ponies don't look like ponies so it's generally academic?

For me if they weren't trying to aim for something closer to deer with kirin, then they're just including the word for fad Japanese "cool" factor, rather than trying to share something culturally different. And I have issues with that. But to me the image looks more an attempt at a different species, even if it ultimately fails. Bluntly put, kirin aren't really meant to be 'cute' anyway...

Also every time I type it I want to capitalise the word because of the drinks company that use that name (facepalm).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 11:02:54 AM »

So I guess what we take from this discussion is that even the FIM ponies don't look like ponies so it's generally academic?

For me if they weren't trying to aim for deer with kirin, then they're just including the word for fad Japanese "cool" factor, rather than trying to share something culturally different. And I have issues with that. But to me the image looks more an attempt at a different species, even if it ultimately fails. Bluntly put, kirin aren't really meant to be 'cute' anyway...

Also every time I type it I want to capitalise the word because of the drinks company that use that name (facepalm).

More or less.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 11:12:37 AM »
The kirin leader looked more deer-like, being more leggy.  Also all the kirin did have cloven hooves.

I just love the tails on the kirin.  Unnnngh, they're so elegant and flowing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:14:38 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 05:04:48 PM »
I think of the kirin as being closely related to ponies because I played PonyIsland for years and they had kirins as a breed.  :P

They also had valkyries, which I would love to see in the franchise . . . ponies with flame hair and ram horns.  I guess flame hair would be a big problematic as far as toys go, though.  But then again, if Trim 'n Grow Dream Beauties came with scissors, would it be soooo bad for valkyries to come with a Bic lighter?  (Okay, yes it would. :P )

oh man, Valkyries :lovey: I think they were my favourite PI species, so cuuute! Oooh - and phoenix ponies would look cute as MLPs, too... and Wishies, although they're pretty close to the G2 winged unicorns, now I think about it.. and.. /ramble

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 07:20:32 PM »
I liked it for G1, simply because there were only a few and the focus was on ponies.  I can’t stand it in G4, though.  The focus seems to be less on ponies and more about the “friends” as time passes.  But they have to focus on the friends, because...“diversity”. But yeah, i enjoyed the friends in G1!  Not the bushwoolies, though.  I never could get into the bushwoolies.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 07:48:49 PM »
Them's Fightin Herds incorporated different creatures into their pony-centric world. So far, the main characters are Cow, Reindeer, Unicorn, Alpaca, Sheep, and Longma. I would personally really like to see a Longma as a race in the show, especially since they recently did Kirin as a cute nod to our culture.

Longma are planned to be in G5!! One of the villains is a longma, too.

EDIT: pics I reuploaded to my blog, before the G4 kirin were revealed and nobody knew which gen these were for: http://paradise-estate.tumblr.com/post/175781293087/would-you-happen-to-have-a-link-to-the-kirin
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:52:54 PM by Ragamuffin »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal