collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Opinion on the near-ponies (all gens)  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Firehooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
Opinion on the near-ponies (all gens)
« on: September 16, 2018, 05:25:10 PM »
Hey there, since the advent of G4, something I have been wondering about for pony collectors and fans is; how do you regard Pony friends, who are very close to the line of being ponies? Creatures like the zebras, kirin, Changelings, saddle Arabians, etc.? I know they aren't technically ponies, but would they count for most people being under the pony banner, given that sea ponies are extended that courtesy. Such as, if they were released as brushables, would they fall under the banner of ponies for most collectors, or pony pals?

Just something I was curious about...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Opinion on the near-ponies (all gens)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 05:37:41 PM »
It's interesting to think about, but they'd probably be classified as Friends. Besides, Zigzag the zebra was released as a "friend" ;) Saddle Arabians would probably be "ponies" though. Breezies and sea ponies are a weird case but with sea "pony", it's right in the name. Flutters are not too different from regular ponies other than the fact that they have fairy wings.

And I don't think this should prevent Hasbro from ever releasing them... ;) Tbf they released Zecora ONCE and we haven't gotten any changeling brushables save for some Chrysalis Celestia recolours

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 05:48:45 PM »
it'd be nice of Hasbro returned to their roots and gave us more of the different species and characters under the "Pony Friends" line again. Zebra, Hippogriff, Yaks, Seaponies, 80's Changelings, etc
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 06:17:24 PM »
To me zebras, Saddle Arabians, sea ponies and flutter ponies are all related as different types of ponies. :) I’ve heard some suggest that Changelings are ponies also but they don’t look like ponies to me.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 03:30:27 AM »
Kirin are not and will never be equine to me. I know they have various incarnations and at least in Japanese the word gets used for both unicorn and giraffe as well as proper kirin...

In Japan kirin are more deer like than equine. And from what I can see of China, they are anotger amalgamation of species.

So definitely not kirin for me. 

As for the rest...flutters, wingers, sea and merponies are all fine by me. Zebras are a related species one step more distant than unicorn/earth/peg are from each other.  I don't know enough about the other g4 species to comment but my understanding of the Changelings is that they are shape shifters..?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 08:03:29 AM »
IMO flutters, breezies, changelings, Saddle Arabians = pony, Zebras = pony friends, Kirin = somewhere in between. :B

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 09:04:22 AM »
I don't really think about the zebras, donkeys, and hyppogriffs much.

I'm unsure about changelings. But their neutral form is equine so I guess.

Sea Ponies, Flutters, Wingers, Merponies, Breezies and Bat Ponies are ponies. End of story. They're not an accessory buddy like the pony pets, pony friends and pretty pals are.

Why wouldn't saddle arabians be ponies?

As for whats-his-face being a draconequs. It makes me wanna smack whatever idiot decided to turn an asian dragon into a chaotic dragon-horse monster and pretended that they invented the concept just for the show.

Anyone who has eyeballs knows a dragon when they see one.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:09:59 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 09:06:57 AM »
Kirin are not and will never be equine to me. I know they have various incarnations and at least in Japanese the word gets used for both unicorn and giraffe as well as proper kirin...

In Japan kirin are more deer like than equine. And from what I can see of China, they are anotger amalgamation of species.

As for the rest...flutters, wingers, sea and merponies are all fine by me. Zebras are a related species one step more distant than unicorn/earth/peg are from each other.  I don't know enough about the other g4 species to comment but my understanding of the Changelings is that they are shape shifters..?

The Changelings are shape shifters but have a pony-ish form when they’re not disguised as other creatures. :)

Ponyfan

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 11:56:28 AM »

The Changelings are shape shifters but have a pony-ish form when they’re not disguised as other creatures. :)

Ponyfan

Beetle ponies!!!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 12:23:06 PM »
I didn't think G1 had that many "pony friends" for the most part.  And they all got only one release each.  I don't count sea ponies and flutter ponies as "pony friends" though.  They are ponies to me.   So are Breezies... just itty bitty. 

But, I would like to see G4 brushables of the Kirin.  They're quite pretty and are exotic ponies in my eyes.  I also think of Changlings as corrupt looking ponies. 

Or... maybe I just see ponies everywhere I go.   :)
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 12:28:37 PM »
Here's a couple of pics of transformed Changelings.

Ponyfan

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 02:17:09 PM »
I love them and if Hasbro bothered to make them into toys I would start collecting again :P

I still want to see more zebras. And I am a bit bitter that G4 made donkeys into regular looking animals when they could have used the pony model on them as well and released a cute donkey character.

The horses, donkeys and zebras are all ponies to me. Because... well... look at some of those G4 pony designs. They look like freaks. So why not add stripes or long ears?

Changelings and Discord are both referred to as ponies in the German dub, but I refuse to see them as such. Changelings are bugdeer and Discord is a dragon.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:24:07 PM by Zapper »

Offline Firehooves

• G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 02:38:56 PM »
ehhh,

Ehhh, I agree somewhat, but I think the MLP FiM kirin look more pony than deer;

And for me, it's a hard line to draw; the saddle Arabians greatly resemble g2 in body size and proportions. So it's a tough call.

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 04:37:43 PM »
ehhh,

Ehhh, I agree somewhat, but I think the MLP FiM kirin look more pony than deer;

And for me, it's a hard line to draw; the saddle Arabians greatly resemble g2 in body size and proportions. So it's a tough call.

Kay so? They aren't supposed to. Looks more like its in a costume to me.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 07:27:46 PM »
I think of the kirin as being closely related to ponies because I played PonyIsland for years and they had kirins as a breed.  :P

They also had valkyries, which I would love to see in the franchise . . . ponies with flame hair and ram horns.  I guess flame hair would be a big problematic as far as toys go, though.  But then again, if Trim 'n Grow Dream Beauties came with scissors, would it be soooo bad for valkyries to come with a Bic lighter?  (Okay, yes it would. :P )
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal