collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My name is Sugar Sweet...and I'm a survivor. Update 24/9  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
My name is Sugar Sweet...and I'm a survivor. Update 24/9
« on: September 16, 2018, 09:20:07 AM »
So (clearly blessed with pony vibes from tailrustedleaf!) this morning I picked up 2 G1 ponies at the carboot (as well as another Sunset Shimmer doll I didn't have, yay for Sunset Shimmer!)

One of the ponies is Posey. She has rust and her tail is a knotted mess and right now she's in pieces drying in my shower. I rescued her from a dealer's mat because when I saw her her head had been squashed in and I got her at a discount because she was 'damaged'. Her head is fine now, but I thought that was probably it for my pony luck today.

And then Sugar Sweet happened.

For anyone who has seen Toy Story, this pony's former home was clearly in the vein of the nasty kid next door. Sugar Sweet was the only G1 pony there, and she was also, fortunately, the least abused of all of their ponies. Most were covered in paint or ink and at least 2 had had all their hair ripped out at the roots or cut off. This was a pony horror show, seriously. And then, in the bottom of the basket, was Sugar Sweet.

Looking, frankly, quite terrified.

And of course, I wasn't going to leave her there.

Bad pictures because of uncooperative phone, but this is how she looked when I first found her. Believe me, the images do not do justice to the amount of dirt involved.
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Her body was thick with dirt. She had marks everywhere, and red paint or something all over her mouth, her horn, and her eyes. Even her symbol and in her hair, which was a knotted mess. But she was intact, and she hadn't had the hair cut/ripping treatment.

To be honest, I think she probably needs yet another bath because she's cleaner now but still has signs of light dirt on her body.

Here is how she looked after a bath...and a well deserved and thorough shampoo.
Spoiler

The red came off! So did the marks! She's pink under there, not brown!

My next project is to sort her hair out. Her tail still has some vestiges of the original curl, the mane was knotted and plaited so has none left. I've painstakingly combed it out - next job will be to see if I can curl it or whether to leave it as it is.

Her future as yet is unknown. I have Sugar Sweet, both loose and in box, so will probably look to rehome her - but right now I'm pretty happy with the day's work, with the fact I found her, I rescued her, and she now looks like a G1 pony should look again.

Somehow she managed to survive the house of horrors and escape it relatively unscathed.

Sugar Sweet is a survivor, and so I wanted to share her tale with people who would understand ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit to add: I took these pictures last week while at home. I have done nothing with her tail at present, but this is how she currently looks...
Spoiler

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 01:42:23 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Re: My name is Sugar Sweet...and I'm a survivor.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:40:52 AM »
Aww- that is a story with a happy ending :heart: I rescue toys whenever I can, and I’m happy to hear Sugar Sweet have been saved!

BTW, I really, really don’t like that kid from Toy Story. I seriously want to yell at him everytime I watch that movie  :rant:
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 01:05:45 PM »
Aww- that is a story with a happy ending :heart: I rescue toys whenever I can, and I’m happy to hear Sugar Sweet have been saved!

BTW, I really, really don’t like that kid from Toy Story. I seriously want to yell at him everytime I watch that movie  :rant:

I know, he annoys me too. I mean, yes, kids are meant to play with toys and that leads to mess and damage, but there's also wilful damage which is different. Someone spent money on that, and taking care of one's possessions is an important skill as well. And I have never seen G4  ponies at this carboot as wrecked as those. When I first saw Sugar Sweet I was actually a bit surprised to find she had all her hair. Maybe she wasn't as popular a toy. And I only found her because there was an articulated Rarity doll who, from the back, looked fine...and from the front was completely painted yellow...and in moving her, I found Sugar.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 01:36:03 PM »
Man poor Posey and Sugar Sweet! I'm glad they've got a safe home with you, the paint came off and they can be restored. I can't stand it when kids willfully destroy their toys.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 03:19:46 PM »
Lovely to hear that Sugar Sweet cleaned up nicely!! Hopefully the good pony luck continues to follow you.  ^.^
Maybe young kids get old ponies, hate them, then deface them? Horrible to think about, but if they were used as villains in play-stories and seen as "not MY MLP" then kids who don't like them may feel inclined to try makeup on them.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 03:25:16 PM »
You did such a nice job cleaning her up! Glad she and Posey were saved. What a happy ending :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Errant_Harpy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 05:14:30 PM »
Nearly had a heart attack when I saw what was on her face!  EXCELLENT job cleaning her up!

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 07:09:51 PM »
I love your thread title.  Poor Sugar Sweet. I'm so happy you rescued her and cleaned her up so well.  Kids can do such awful things to toys! 

Offline Kikwifluff

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Bait ponies need love too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 07:17:32 PM »
She looks so much happier now! She’s probably so happy to have been rescued :heart:

Offline justinb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 08:02:29 PM »
Poor Sugar Sweet... She looks like the girl from the movie "Incident in a Ghostland".  :shocked:

Offline TravelingTwinkler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • ~ to travel is to live ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 08:38:58 PM »
Wow! Super-ecstatic about your finds, and Sugar Sweet looks incredible! I really wonder what goes on in kids' minds when they decide to destroy their toys. Just can't wrap my head around torturing these beauties!

—mari

{ formerly know as OGTwinkler }

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 01:22:16 AM »
Congratulations on finding, and rescuing, two lucky G1 ponies! Sugar Sweet looks so much better  :)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 01:42:29 AM »
Given the state of the other toys and all the red gore around the mouth, my sister and I were joking that she ended up resorting to cannibalism to survive!

Joking aside she is now in my backpack ready to travel home. ..where I will try and fix her hair (right now it is very floofy) and work out her future plans.

So glad I was able to rescue her!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 03:31:40 AM »
I'm glad you rescued her, no pony or toy deserves that treatment. I saved a Brado you know from My Scene the guy with the orange poofy hair from a charity shop, I cleaned him up and he's in new clothes now.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 07:10:27 PM »
Great rescue story!  I too just got a Sugar Sweet.  Though I admit, in the late 1990's I found one and left her behind because I don't like the mold.  But now she's grown on me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal