collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies you regret buying?  (Read 6049 times)

Offline chateaushelton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • When your 8yo discovered the magnetic hooves
    • View Profile
Re: Ponies you regret buying?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2018, 10:18:23 AM »
I've never regretted buying a pony, but I've regretted paying too much for said ponies.  It's one of Murphy's Laws though, isn't it?  No matter how long or hard you shop for an item, as soon as you buy it you'll find it on sale somewhere else for a better price. Happens more often than not, I'm afraid!

:lmao: I know, I hate that!

THIS!!!

However, I always rationalize that there are other ponies I got for a good price - so it all balances out in the end.

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »
I regret buying Sea Pony Rarity. After years of holding off getting any G4s, she finally got me to cave with her pearly, purple, glittery seapony goodness. But then I had to get her some more sea friends, of course, and the babies are so cute, and ooooo giant Mer-Rarity, and why not some of the other pearly G4s while I'm at it, and now I'm sad that can't find a pearly Redheart, and arrrrgh.... Look what you did, Rarity!

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2018, 09:41:04 PM »
During my first few years of collecting, I went through a 'Gotta Catch 'Em All' phase, resulting in me having a couple hundred ponies.

I've sold off most of them over the years, but... like Einhornbaby, I wonder how many of my actual 'wants' I could have purchased with that money. </3

I regret a little that when the G3 line was out in stores that I wasn't a little more picky about what/who I bought during that time period. I have quite a lot of them sitting in plastic storage drawers. They were bought, opened (most of them) and then most went right into storage.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:45:07 PM by toyjunky »

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 03:27:06 AM »
I have a fair amount of ponies I regret buying.  It's mostly due to me not liking them that much and feeling bad about the money involved and the space issues they've created.  I unfortunately have a serious case of the collecting bug, so it's very hard for me to just buy one pony in a set, or to pass up any playset no matter how uninspired.  I've been working on curbing my "gotta get 'em all!" problem with the G4s.  I have managed to pass up quite a bit, so at least the flow of low want ponies has slowed.

These include:
Pretty much all the G3 "So Soft Newborns" - don't like 'em, and they're huge, and nobody wants them, so even using them as trade/sale fodder isn't an option.
That creepy G3 dancing/talking rubber Pinkie Pie - I never really wanted the pony, but I did want the bonus ponies and accessories that it came with.  Now I have this giant box with a freaky rubber pony in it, and nowhere to put it.
Some of the more boring G4 playsets and ponies.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 11:13:16 AM »
Oh I have had any that I have felt that way. But then I just turn around and then sell them off.

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2018, 01:08:38 PM »
That giant stinkin movie set with queen Novo.  That was a horrible waste of $100.  Also, that talking Twilight Sparkle plush, you know, the one that looks like a FurReal Friend.  Why did I ever buy that?   I don’t have really any G1 regrets.  I guess I’d have to say I regret buying Mimic (don’t have her anymore...she was sold).  It’s not that I strongly disliked her...it was just...an underwhelming experience, buying her.  I paid over $100 and thought “eh”, as soon as I had her. 

Offline CinnamonOnions

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »
Baity Main Sail, buying a moldy Lemon Drop instead of cheap big brother ponies, buying the G1 bride pony instead of decently priced dance 'n prance ponies, a very baity Beach Ball and a baity Flower Bouquet. Just, why did I, how stupid can a beginner collector be and how stupid decisions can 'no pony left behind' logic lead to.

Offline ThePoneZone

• Captain Jack Pony
  • Boop the Ice Crystal! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2018, 05:36:49 PM »
My newest regret:

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There are no stores within driving distance of me that carry the 35th anniversary ponies, and somehow it's cheaper to get them imported on Amazon.com than it is to buy them on Amazon.ca.

There goes a big portion of my computer fund, but I really just wanted some MiB G1 ponies, even if they're repros.
I don't get to buy ponies often, but I cherish them when I do :lovey:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2018, 10:13:26 AM »
I commissioned an overly expensive plush once and paid way way way way too much.  I still feel more than a little foolish when I see it... even though it is cool.

Offline TravelingTwinkler

• Captain Jack Pony
  • ~ to travel is to live ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2018, 09:54:56 PM »
I've never regretted buying a pony, but I've regretted paying too much for said ponies.  It's one of Murphy's Laws though, isn't it?  No matter how long or hard you shop for an item, as soon as you buy it you'll find it on sale somewhere else for a better price. Happens more often than not, I'm afraid!

:lmao: I know, I hate that!

THIS!!!

However, I always rationalize that there are other ponies I got for a good price - so it all balances out in the end.

So very much this! Oh pony fam, I regret getting a TE Party Time that looked too good to be true in the pictures. I missed the teeny tiny start of pony cancers and strange, pink discolorations from the photos. Ah well.  :blush:

—mari

{ formerly know as OGTwinkler }

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2018, 08:07:46 AM »
Roughly half the G3s I bought, lol. Ended up thinning the herd a couple years ago and feel better but man wish I hadn't bought them in the first place!

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2018, 09:36:04 AM »
Finally got an answer that fits. All of my G4 doubles. It's going to be hard to get rid of them, and I want all of my pony stuff in order for when G5 comes out and I buy absolutely everything.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
I regret buying G1s and G4s with head/body mismatch. I think it's ok in photos but then I see them irl and they look like they are seasick.

Post Merge: September 17, 2018, 02:37:07 PM

I want all of my pony stuff in order for when G5 comes out and I buy absolutely everything.

That's the spirit! :biggrin: If they make AJ the way the leaks promised I will create an army of her.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:37:07 PM by Zapper »

Offline WaterDraw

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • Back from the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
I think the only real pony buying regret I have is the multiple g3s I got at the thrift store. First of all, the thrift store writes the prices on ink on the bottom of their hooves, second they're all a really dirty white that I've been trying to clean up but it won't work, third their hair is all weird and choppy and would rather separate into sections rather than actually stick together, lastly they aren't even worth much. I know it's not all about the money, but it makes me wonder what I'm going to do with them in the future when I'm most likely gonna have to sell them so I can move away.
I hope with g5 the g3s will be worth just a smidge more amount of money...The only real reason I buy every pony I see at the thrift shop (well...almost everypony) is because I know the kids in my town aren't...the kindest to toys and I don't want to see an okay pony turn into a bait pony. I guess that makes me kinda selfish in a way. I don't know.

Mimic drawn by me~
Inspired by one of the Fluttershy redesigns and The Last Unicorn

Offline strawberrypony

• Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2018, 01:20:51 AM »
I think the only real pony buying regret I have is the multiple g3s I got at the thrift store. First of all, the thrift store writes the prices on ink on the bottom of their hooves, second they're all a really dirty white that I've been trying to clean up but it won't work, third their hair is all weird and choppy and would rather separate into sections rather than actually stick together, lastly they aren't even worth much. I know it's not all about the money, but it makes me wonder what I'm going to do with them in the future when I'm most likely gonna have to sell them so I can move away.
I hope with g5 the g3s will be worth just a smidge more amount of money...The only real reason I buy every pony I see at the thrift shop (well...almost everypony) is because I know the kids in my town aren't...the kindest to toys and I don't want to see an okay pony turn into a bait pony. I guess that makes me kinda selfish in a way. I don't know.

The thrift store writes on the ponies with ink?! Oh my lord I would be furious  :shocked: why would they think someone would want their pony written on? For heavens sake :blink:

And thats not selfish! I do the same thing with buying ponies sometimes to make sure they arent abused. Not that I would ever pass up any sort of pony, but especially with Fakies which i dont usually collect, i'll buy them to keep them from being thrown in the trash. All ponies deserve love and a safe home.
-

Ive never regretted buying a pony, I've felt bad about spending money.. Especially the 35th anniversary ones. I bought them all in one day along with several g4s. It was over $100 for just one visit to Target I felt so awful... I told myself I wasnt gonna do that again.

I have been disappointed tho, I bought a sweet heart sister pony for a friend last year and when I got her she had several hair plugs empty and her earring was broken off.  I still love her to death tho <3 it just really sucks when trying to do something special for someone and you get it and the person hadnt disclosed the full condition.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 01:26:29 AM by strawberrypony »
:hope: ponies make for a happy day

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal