collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Okay, I would love to know ~your~ mark.  (Read 4609 times)

Offline babypowder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • Thanks to Ponyland Press for my adoptable
Re: Okay, I would love to know ~your~ mark.
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2018, 12:39:55 PM »
I think it would be a gust of wind carrying a token from all of my interests...crafts, horses, sci-fi, writing...the gust of wind because I like to be free.
Cutie Marks for Cutie Marks!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2018, 02:09:35 PM »
original post
I don't have one...

But I like to imagine my car did -- and that's what represents me here :)

If I had to think of myself... It would be something that combined 林 (and or trees/forest) with sheep and have a mint color.

Ok, you seriously had me wondering if there is a kanji with a ki radical or a ki/ hitsuji component...and then you threw in kokoro and I admit I gave up ;)

I don't generally subscribe to the g4 context of symbols as I think being defined by a symbol into a destiny is limiting...but  with banditpony bringing kanji into it I started thinking about this as well. Here i have always been Taffeta and it relates to the g1 pony more than me. But I have a kind of affinity with the character  龍 (dragon) because of the association of dragons with stuff I study. My railcard holder has a dragon and  龍  written on it. So something to do with dragons I suppose....

After all, I am English (green or white dragon) but I grew up near Wales and have distant Welsh on my Dad's side  (red dragon)...

I am not sure if you watch the show at all, but G4's canon has led the idea of "destiny" to be rather open ended.

TL;DR + possible spoilers for the later half of the series
Taking Songbird Serenade for example, her profession is an entertainer- a songstress, let it be by trade or hobby. But, her cutiemark is not music/entertaining related- it's a rain cloud with hearts (which can have many different interpretations considering pegasi control the weather and/or being an entertainer makes people happy, so it's a "happy rain", but her hearts are in a rainbow-ish spectrum, etc etc but that is going into head-canon territory about a character I rarely give much thought to tbh).

When investigating other side characters, there is Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer. Their names are in the same scheme as Twilight Sparkle, but none of the three have a cutiemark that fully represents having a magical "destiny". It just seems implied due to the celestial theme.

The implication being that the cosmos control everything, (Luna, Celestia, two steps of sundown and one full night) but the only correlation that we have to go on is that they all received their marks in magic. But, if you think about it, we only witnessed that Twilight got her mark in magic. Celestia and Luna were already inherently magical, plus their jobs as alicorn princesses to control the celestial bodies of day and night. Though, we only know bits and pieces aside from the obvious. They were mentored by the magical unicorn Starswirl, and the books and comics are officially not considered part of the show canon, and then Sunset and Starlight already had theirs, and their character arcs around using magic as a way to cause havoc, and then redemption.

...and then we have Trixie Lulamoon, who has a mark of a magic wand and wooshy-wisp. Our lovely Trixie is an illusionist and entertainer by trade, and the first few steps of her arc is that she doesn't know much in the way of magic like Twilight, Sunset and Starlight. It basically implies that a wand is symbolic of illusion, tricks and "street magic", not of spell casting, and all four of these unicorns share a star-like object.

When you look at the Cutiemark Crusaders, there are a few episodes dedicated to showing that their marked talent is not all that a pony is.
Bloom & Gloom (S5, Ep4)
Crusaders of the Lost Mark (S5, Ep18)
On Your Marks (S6, Ep4)
The Fault in Our Cutie Marks (S6, Ep19)
Marks and Recreation (S7, Ep21)
"Destiny" as a term used to tie cutiemarks to the pony race is loosely utilized. It's more generic of a term and only a narrative device that really fits the universe when convenient. These episodes to lend more to the idea that there is more to someone then that one thing.

this is just a rant- take with a grain of salt plz
And don't get me started on Candace and her story arc- that whole cluster is one of the biggest dumb wildcards when it comes to "destiny" because it just doesn't fit well with the other princesses. There isn't anything that solidifies anything else to be a factor, so it's really up to debate as to how that matches up being that there are two ways of becoming an alicorn, but nothing has explicitly stated in the show that born alicorns are born princesses.

I'M SIDE-EYE'IN YOU, FLURRY HEART, YOU CONVENIENT MCGUFFIN. She's not even full alicorn- She's technically a half-breed because of her unicorn father not being blessed enough to be a female. Flurry's introduction to the universe implies that Luna and Celestia were not born alicorns.

MAGIC.
CUTIEMARKS.
GENETICS.
HOW DOES THIS WORK.

All's I am saying is that there is much more to the idea of "destiny" than finding out that you are a great janitor that is portrayed as a dirty shovel and a pile of fly-ridden poo on your flank. Magic and breed may play a part, but I doubt we will get a solid answer of how they work so it can be left open-ended, which actually serves to benefit the cutie mark concept.

It's just my personal take on the concept. There are a lot of things in FIM I'm not a fan of, so just add that to the list ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2018, 03:31:21 PM »
A stack of old books with a black lit candel on top. In circled by five silver stars. Because knowledge is magical, also stars are my favorite shape.

Look at my signature for what I'd look like as a pony.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline vira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2018, 08:45:02 PM »
mine is a puppy with a heart, because i love caring for dogs! here it is on my ponysona, puppy kisses!

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2018, 06:37:47 AM »
Weell, my username here is my real name, so I guess that is a mark of some sorts :lol:

Online I usually go by KatWoods though. It refers to my name of course (Kat), but also my love for nature (woods). If anything symbol should represent me I think it would be coonected to the woods or the mountains in combination with books or stories. I love to disappear into a world of dreams and hopes. I also write stories myself (for fun only :P ). I am a teacher, and I love my job too- I love teaching kids, inspire and help them in finding their own dreams and hopes.

Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Mami Tomoe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • i love sprinkles
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2018, 07:42:37 AM »
A heart with interlocking Venus symbol or a laughing face
i love sprinkles
i also clean ponies so if you want a clean pony contact me

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2018, 07:51:40 AM »
My symbol would be stars. Fuschia, turquoise, blue and an emerald green. I like jewel tones... not relating to my username at all.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2018, 02:42:34 PM »
Well, my current ponysona has a takeaway mug as her symbol. I drink an awful lot of tea. xD (her name is Shai Latte, and she's my current avatar :) ) My old persona, Neko, has a cat symbol. It still fits, I'm very much a cat person, and a somewhat cat-like person :)
On me, IRL, though... that's not as easy. A glass of wine (or cup of tea), a pentacle, and music notes, maybe?

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2018, 10:01:25 PM »
Half moon, and something else.
Not sure about it now that I have to think about it. Trying to make a new ponysona that would be what Id love to be as a pony too.  :biggrin:

Thank you :heart:

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2018, 01:30:15 PM »
**first page hipbump**

I'd love to hear more!

Offline StrawberrySundance

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 02:13:54 PM »
Ooooh! this is interesting!  :biggrin:

I've never really thought about one for myself but I recently found a sketch book with 2 G4 style pony 'OC's I drew (I actually can't remember drawing them) and one was an earth pony had an upside down pineapple (I wrote 'Pineapple Fritters' next to her) and the other was a tall skinny earth pony with a big 'X' on her side, I think she was called Cross? maybe Crosses?

This counts as 'my' mark right? haha

I've never really thought about one for myself, I don't think my username would reflect mine if I did have one (I'd totally get Sundance's symbol as my first tattoo though! ), I think I'd have a cactus with a single flower one it? Or a bee!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:20:05 PM by StrawberrySundance »

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »
My pony's mark is the silhouette of a pegasus pony falling in front of a sun with tribal like flames around it.
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »
My "Mark" is the same symbol as Hefty Smurf, a heart with an arrow through it, there's a pic of my ponysona that MustBeJewel drew for me last Christmas, its "Chrystal Ferfer", his name is based on my nickname as a kid "Ferfer"(I couldn't say my whole name so I would say "Fer-i-fer" and its stuck, to this day family members call me "Ferfer"..., and the "Chrystal" comes in bec it soundeed ponyish, but also made the whole name sound like "Christopher" which is my full legal name :D...without further ado here's the pic Jewel drew of him:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2018, 01:17:11 PM »
I'm a blank flank!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Harmonie

• Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »
I've always struggled to come up with one that really flowed. I'd think it would have to have something to do with wind instruments, but it's really hard to come up with something in that regard that just clicks for me. Especially since I've switched through/loved so many of the different winds over the years. I'd say that double reeds like oboe and bassoon are closest to my heart, and they are what I do play. However, I adore other winds like bass clarinet, saxophone, and recorder, as well.

Anything I ever try to think of just doesn't fit MLP, it's too complicated. I have the same problem with making names. Lol.

My username is also related, should I ever find a proper mark. It (in the definition I'm meaning for here, obviously it has others) is an old European term for a small ensemble of woodwind and brass instruments.

|My Collection|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal