collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Okay, I would love to know ~your~ mark.  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, I would love to know ~your~ mark.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 02:34:48 PM »
So many fascinating ideas! This is really exciting to hear how different people are.

@tailrustedtealeaf, I dig your reasoning.

An olive branch with a lightning bolt. What does it mean? Am I peaceful? Am I hotheaded? Am I a Greek god? An olympic runner? Who knows what Zapper pony is up to :lol:

Confused? lol

Maybe you need a good rubdown with Bounce dryer sheets because of the built up static  xD

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »
My symbol is two blue alligators.  When I was younger, and since I like to draw, and since Ponyland was extremely lacking in male ponies, I started drawing and cranking out all sorts of ideas for male uni's and pegs.  When I Joined the arena and learned about avatars and stuff, I picked Gator because I liked his colors and symbol.  I figure if he was a real pony, he would be a happy tails pony as his symbol is line with theirs.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sweet Daes

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 03:30:03 PM »
My symbol is two blue alligators.  When I was younger, and since I like to draw, and since Ponyland was extremely lacking in male ponies, I started drawing and cranking out all sorts of ideas for male uni's and pegs.  When I Joined the arena and learned about avatars and stuff, I picked Gator because I liked his colors and symbol.  I figure if he was a real pony, he would be a happy tails pony as his symbol is line with theirs.

The ones that you squeeze and the tail goes all twirls? The color scheme sounds perfect- that is such a fabulous idea! Did you art your sig, too?

:art:

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 03:58:56 PM »
I've toyed with the idea of getting my personal symbol as a tattoo for a few years, I have few ideas that actually fit me very well the most popular one being a jack o lantern with bluish snow on it surrounded a string of heart shaped multi coloured lights since I am obsessed with Halloween and Christmas or a blood red crescent moon with two coffins interlocking to shape a heart surrounded by a few rose petals, my user name is because of how much horror specifically vampires mean to me and my partner, the spelling is for funeral pyre and the fay is I've been obsessed with fairies most of my life to the point I'm writing a children's book on them
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 04:03:19 PM by vampyrefay »
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 05:47:33 PM »
Mine would probably be like a bunch of scribbles or something. I'm one of those people who knows everything about a few things, but nothing about a lot of things :lol: There isn't one defining interest or anything that I feel is really "me".

As far as Ponyland, my persona consists of my favorite colors and his symbol is #92 Uranium to represent that he might be a bit unstable :lookround:

edit: Oh, and as far as my username goes, it's a Megadeth song. I've had it as my main nick online since like 1997. They were my fav band back then.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 08:19:19 PM »
My ponysona Tulips' mark is a triskelion with tulips inspired by my favourite pony Posey and my Celtic heritage. I feel like it represents me well in an ambiguous, many facets of my soul, kind of way. I love animals and art but didn't want something like paw prints or a paint brush...

Spoiler
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline aquamarinemolly

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ig @aquamarinemolly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »
Before I got into ponies, I got a big ol' snowflake tatt on my butt. I was 19. Zero regrets. Someday maybe I'll expand it, add some of the pony snowflake symbols and make it a flurry! ...but this doesn't really connect with my username here, which is just my favorite princess + my first name, aquamarinemolly
ISO princess ribbons, vintage pony pins, and UK variant Glow in The Dark mane Princess Sapphire

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 09:27:33 PM »
The mark in my ponysona is a sword through a cresent moon which has so many meanings to me. I grew up in an abusive home and when things got too hard I hid in the worlds of fantasy books, where there were a lot of swordfights. In one series of books, there was a moon cult which fascinated me and had I been any kind of religious at all, I would have joined that cult.

But the sword also represent me trying to fight my way forward in the world and survive, with the family I had and no real friends to talk to who knew what I was going through. It was hard sleeping weekendnights, when the alcohol and yelling and fights happened so I spent hours walking around outside, with just the dog as company. Be it summer or freezing winter I walked for hours, and when I was too tired to walk I slept in the forest beneath the pine trees, or during winter in the car in the garage. One such night, I sat beneath my favorite tree and looked at a cresent moon and it was so beautiful and I took it to heart that beauty could exist in this world of pain and suffering.

It never occured to me to match the name Beldarna to this above, it was a name I took when I was 11 years old after reading the Belgariad of David Eddings, Beldaran was a mysterious daughter of a sorcerer who had died, but I was somewhat aware of copyright infringement so I rewrote it, lol. My ponysona was created 9 years later.

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2018, 10:21:33 PM »
Hmm, I'm not really too sure.

Probably a blue cat, because I have a bit of an obsession with the color blue, and cats. I've been called the cat-whisperer by many and told maybe I was a cat in a past life. xD I just can't get enough of them.
And then maybe a dragon wrapped around the cat, like they're snuggling together or something. I'm also quite obsessed with fantasy, and dragons are my favourite fantasy creature. Maybe a water dragon specifically, because I LOVE the water and it's my favourite element, and my sign is also the water bearer. (which I just think is really neat)
Not sure what the pony itself would look like... Maybe an aqua color with dark blue/light green striped hair and silver tinsel? That might look weird.
I'd try to weasel some Norse mythology, Lovecraftian horror and artistry in there, but then it'd be too busy. xD
(TAF version- A big tentacled Lovecraft monster chasing after the dragon & cat with a giant pencil, knotwork in the background. Weirdest pony you'd ever see)

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2018, 01:36:16 AM »
My username here is just my nickname. Not very creative!

Hmm, symbols and ponysonas. My girlfriend & I have often mused on this subject, without actually deciding very much. She wants to be a unicorn, possibly black or dark blue, and have a notebook and pen for a symbol, with a cartoonish drawing of a cat on the notebook. Think Dutch Dagboek pony, but a unicorn and with added cat. I think I'd like to be a red or orange earth pony with an antiquarian book for my symbol. A big brown leather bound book possibly with a bookmark in it. I feel I ought to incorporate a pony because I love collecting ponies just as much as I love collecting antique books, but a pony with a pony symbol would be a little strange (especially if the pony on the symbol also had a pony symbol with a pony symbol with....shut up now, Shaz!). A ruined castle would be a good symbol for me too, as I love history. Maybe the book could have a picture of a castle on it?

Offline SilverStarApple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2018, 04:43:54 AM »
Silver Star Apple is an OC I made. At first, he was a ponified version of me, with a ponified backstory. And a lot of my backstory elements wouldn't really work in the pony world. So instead of being a rare smart kid from the slums, he's a rare Unicorn from the Apple Family named Star Apple. He grew up on a frontier town's ranch, but he dreamed of moving to Canterlot, disguising himself as a rich pony named Silver Star, and becoming rich.

I changed him a lot over time, because someone with a different backstory from me should end up different from me. Anyway, his Cutie Mark is a set of ten stars in the shape of a Tree Constellation. And if you flip it over, it also looks like an apple. It's been eight years since I made this character, and nobody ever noticed that aspect of his design.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2018, 08:19:33 AM »
I don't have one...

But I like to imagine my car did -- and that's what represents me here :)

If I had to think of myself... It would be something that combined 林 (and or trees/forest) with sheep and have a mint color.

Ok, you seriously had me wondering if there is a kanji with a ki radical or a ki/ hitsuji component...and then you threw in kokoro and I admit I gave up ;)

I don't generally subscribe to the g4 context of symbols as I think being defined by a symbol into a destiny is limiting...but  with banditpony bringing kanji into it I started thinking about this as well. Here i have always been Taffeta and it relates to the g1 pony more than me. But I have a kind of affinity with the character  龍 (dragon) because of the association of dragons with stuff I study. My railcard holder has a dragon and  龍  written on it. So something to do with dragons I suppose....

After all, I am English (green or white dragon) but I grew up near Wales and have distant Welsh on my Dad's side  (red dragon)...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2018, 08:49:36 AM »
Mine would be a little kitten peeking out of a teacup.  I'm a crazy cat lady (six rescue cats!), and I love fine bone china tea sets.  That would make such a cute tattoo!

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 09:11:57 AM »
The Survey Corps insignia because I like that faction in Attack on Titan.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Sweet Daes

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2018, 12:20:52 PM »
original post
I don't have one...

But I like to imagine my car did -- and that's what represents me here :)

If I had to think of myself... It would be something that combined 林 (and or trees/forest) with sheep and have a mint color.

Ok, you seriously had me wondering if there is a kanji with a ki radical or a ki/ hitsuji component...and then you threw in kokoro and I admit I gave up ;)

I don't generally subscribe to the g4 context of symbols as I think being defined by a symbol into a destiny is limiting...but  with banditpony bringing kanji into it I started thinking about this as well. Here i have always been Taffeta and it relates to the g1 pony more than me. But I have a kind of affinity with the character  龍 (dragon) because of the association of dragons with stuff I study. My railcard holder has a dragon and  龍  written on it. So something to do with dragons I suppose....

After all, I am English (green or white dragon) but I grew up near Wales and have distant Welsh on my Dad's side  (red dragon)...

I am not sure if you watch the show at all, but G4's canon has led the idea of "destiny" to be rather open ended.

TL;DR + possible spoilers for the later half of the series
Taking Songbird Serenade for example, her profession is an entertainer- a songstress, let it be by trade or hobby. But, her cutiemark is not music/entertaining related- it's a rain cloud with hearts (which can have many different interpretations considering pegasi control the weather and/or being an entertainer makes people happy, so it's a "happy rain", but her hearts are in a rainbow-ish spectrum, etc etc but that is going into head-canon territory about a character I rarely give much thought to tbh).

When investigating other side characters, there is Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer. Their names are in the same scheme as Twilight Sparkle, but none of the three have a cutiemark that fully represents having a magical "destiny". It just seems implied due to the celestial theme.

The implication being that the cosmos control everything, (Luna, Celestia, two steps of sundown and one full night) but the only correlation that we have to go on is that they all received their marks in magic. But, if you think about it, we only witnessed that Twilight got her mark in magic. Celestia and Luna were already inherently magical, plus their jobs as alicorn princesses to control the celestial bodies of day and night. Though, we only know bits and pieces aside from the obvious. They were mentored by the magical unicorn Starswirl, and the books and comics are officially not considered part of the show canon, and then Sunset and Starlight already had theirs, and their character arcs around using magic as a way to cause havoc, and then redemption.

...and then we have Trixie Lulamoon, who has a mark of a magic wand and wooshy-wisp. Our lovely Trixie is an illusionist and entertainer by trade, and the first few steps of her arc is that she doesn't know much in the way of magic like Twilight, Sunset and Starlight. It basically implies that a wand is symbolic of illusion, tricks and "street magic", not of spell casting, and all four of these unicorns share a star-like object.

When you look at the Cutiemark Crusaders, there are a few episodes dedicated to showing that their marked talent is not all that a pony is.
Bloom & Gloom (S5, Ep4)
Crusaders of the Lost Mark (S5, Ep18)
On Your Marks (S6, Ep4)
The Fault in Our Cutie Marks (S6, Ep19)
Marks and Recreation (S7, Ep21)
"Destiny" as a term used to tie cutiemarks to the pony race is loosely utilized. It's more generic of a term and only a narrative device that really fits the universe when convenient. These episodes to lend more to the idea that there is more to someone then that one thing.

this is just a rant- take with a grain of salt plz
And don't get me started on Candace and her story arc- that whole cluster is one of the biggest dumb wildcards when it comes to "destiny" because it just doesn't fit well with the other princesses. There isn't anything that solidifies anything else to be a factor, so it's really up to debate as to how that matches up being that there are two ways of becoming an alicorn, but nothing has explicitly stated in the show that born alicorns are born princesses.

I'M SIDE-EYE'IN YOU, FLURRY HEART, YOU CONVENIENT MCGUFFIN. She's not even full alicorn- She's technically a half-breed because of her unicorn father not being blessed enough to be a female. Flurry's introduction to the universe implies that Luna and Celestia were not born alicorns.

MAGIC.
CUTIEMARKS.
GENETICS.
HOW DOES THIS WORK.

All's I am saying is that there is much more to the idea of "destiny" than finding out that you are a great janitor that is portrayed as a dirty shovel and a pile of fly-ridden poo on your flank. Magic and breed may play a part, but I doubt we will get a solid answer of how they work so it can be left open-ended, which actually serves to benefit the cutie mark concept.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal