collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How have you sold or shipped playsets?  (Read 2905 times)

Offline Mismatch

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
How have you sold or shipped playsets?
« on: September 05, 2018, 01:57:07 PM »
So I have a Paradise Estate that is like 75% complete.  And a nearly complete Show Stable and Dream Castle.  Not to mention a Pretty Parlor and that mint green/purple redo that came out later, and the building for Megan's Place, and that Petite Pony Castle.  I'd really love for all of these to find a home other than my parents' basement where they'd be loved and cherished, because I frankly don't have the time or space for them.

Except they're huge, and Canadian shipping sucks.  Also, I'm terrified to put them in the mail system, because that plastic is freaking FRAGILE. 

So.  How have you sold or shipped playsets?  I'm thinking of putting out feelers in the local community.  Or, like, trying to see if any folks on the Arena wanna make a vague map of which cities have Pony People looking to sell or trade in person at public places so as to avoid the post office and its attendant risks.  Thoughts?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: How have you sold or shipped playsets?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 02:26:44 PM »
I personally think it's a great idea to reach out locally.

I've shipped smaller playsets like the kitchen, school, waterfall - both within the UK and overseas.  But I admit, I donated the broken and discoloured PE I had (I think it made a kid very happy last Christmas xD) and I have taken Show Stables and a spare Hair Salon to a carboot sale (those did make a kid very happy xD) because of not wanting to navigate the huge potential issues of shipping them anywhere.

If you can get someone locally interested (whether through here, facebook/social media or local advertising) and they can come pick up, problem solved. Otherwise I guess you have to work out whether it's worth the hassle to calculate and pack shipping for the amount you'll get for the items. And if not, whether it's a good plan to sell pieces of a playset (for example, PE has a lot of things like columns, flowers, etc which people might be willing to buy separate if you so wished to sell them, not to mention the accessory bits).

One other thing I just thought of. When I got my good PE from Savetheponies on here she shipped it very successfully via courier. It was not so expensive that way and it arrived safely. If dealing domestically, that might be an option. Depending on the quality of your courier services of course...it's a bit of a lottery.

Of course, what it comes down to as well is if a buyer is really keen and happy to foot all shipping costs. In which case, I'd find a big box, pack it up nicely and let them :)

On another subject, the idea of a vague "pony map" for local trades seems like a great idea. I think some facebook groups already do this, and of course it would depend how much detail would be safe to give - but I often think about the large number of London region based ponypeople around with whom I could be in person trading pony items, but just generally don't. I've done one in person transaction in the whole of the 4 years I've been here :/ and it would be great to do more.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 02:03:14 PM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 05:01:33 PM »
Local, local, local.  Facebook or Kijiji or whatever you can possibly do to avoid shipping them.  They require insanely large boxes for the most part, they are CRAZY expensive to mail.  At the very least if you donate to a thrift store, it will end up in the hands of someone who really wants one. 

I think you could get away with shipping the Pretty Parlor and the Petite Castle but the others...  oooooooh they are tricky to sell! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 06:15:59 PM »
I'd do it locally if possible.

I'm not sure if this happens in Canada, but I wouldn't doubt it-- in the US, there's a point where if a package is too big that it gets charged extra for it's size.

Also no one wants to pay the price of shipping, so big heavy items just don't seem worth it.

(In the US sometimes fedex is cheaper.. but eh, it's more so useful for more expensive items).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 01:34:52 AM »
I think selling locally is the best option, but I can't help but add my experience for the shock value. I had my PE w/ original box posted to me from the US for roughly $60-80, through the GSP! I almost didn't believe the seller but wasn't going to question it, I'd never have been able to get one otherwise.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 09:04:35 AM »
My PE was shipped across the country and came with packing peanuts up the wazoo. So if you are going to ship, cram packing peanuts in the box, lots of them!

I think i paid $50 to ship my PE, and close to the same for my lavender dream castle so shipping is not cheap at all on playsets.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline Mismatch

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 09:16:56 PM »
Ouch.  I think I am going to do this local then, if at all possible...

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 12:59:23 PM »
Or hang on to them until next year and sell them at the Canadian Extravaganza!

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 04:09:46 PM »
I can't remember that much about the mark-up of G1 playsets, but when I have sold ones from G3 and G4 I take them apart as much as I can which decreases the amount in shipping by a ton since it wouldn't be as tall/wide and in a better box.

Offline CherryTreats

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 07:45:10 PM »
I bought one Paradise Estate online a long time ago and it was shipped to me and it arrived okay with nothing broken, but it had discoloration so I didn't want it and I met up with a pony collector who wanted it and gave it to her for free. She was not very close to me, but in the same state, and I arranged to take a trip to her city and personally delivered it right to her door. Then, I bought another (absolutely mint, complete Paradise estate with box) from a local pony collector (yay, no shipping involved) and later on (sadly) sold it and shipped it across the country. It was like 15 years ago and it cost a fortune to ship even then. It might have cost close to $100 for shipping and the box, but I sent it by UPS, not USPS. It arrived fine. I used huge amounts of bubblewrap and spent a lot of time packing it carefully. I still have my childhood Paradise Estate, but would never part with it. If I need to part with it though, I'd definitely give it to a local pony collector. I don't ever want to ship that again. I tthink it is best to find someone local if possible. You can post on here to find someone local or see if there are any pony meetups in your area coming up.

The USPS box size for when it becomes oversize is actually incredibly small! I just shipped a large throw pillow and they charged $43! UPS or Fed Ex always seems better for huge packages.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:57:56 PM by CherryTreats »

Offline Mismatch

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »
Thanks to everyone for all the great advice!

Or hang on to them until next year and sell them at the Canadian Extravaganza!

:Blinks: Canadian Extravaganza?  What is this sorcery you speak of?

I bought one Paradise Estate online a long time ago and it was shipped to me and it arrived okay with nothing broken, but it had discoloration so I didn't want it and I met up with a pony collector who wanted it and gave it to her for free. She was not very close to me, but in the same state, and I arranged to take a trip to her city and personally delivered it right to her door. Then, I bought another (absolutely mint, complete Paradise estate with box) from a local pony collector (yay, no shipping involved) and later on (sadly) sold it and shipped it across the country. It was like 15 years ago and it cost a fortune to ship even then. It might have cost close to $100 for shipping and the box, but I sent it by UPS, not USPS. It arrived fine. I used huge amounts of bubblewrap and spent a lot of time packing it carefully... I don't ever want to ship that again. I tthink it is best to find someone local if possible.

Yeah... packing things for shipping is a PAIN.  Especially since the plastic for playsets is so brittle.  I've come to loathe hard plastic.  It breaks and discolours so easily.

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 10:45:13 AM »
Sigh I want to move to Canada just to nab the playsets:) not very lucky in my area for playsets:) I love the beyond saleable as I like to restore or make new:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 10:56:23 AM »
As far as packing goes . . . lots of bubble wrap or those packing 'air bags', and take playsets apart as much as possible (like separating the different towers of Dream Castle) to prevent pressure / breakage on delicate parts like the hinges.

Shipping can be expensive, like everyone's said.  Especially for any oversize packages.  I'd sell locally if possible!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 06:49:41 PM »
I've sold a couple on Kijiji, and bought a couple on Kijiji. One was a "few" hours away, but it turns out the lady's husband worked nearby occasionally, so he brought it on his drive to work. Funny thing is, only my husband was home when he delivered it - so it was the guys doing a transfer of a Paradise Estate. HUGE box.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 03:49:00 AM »
As far as packing goes . . . lots of bubble wrap or those packing 'air bags', and take playsets apart as much as possible (like separating the different towers of Dream Castle) to prevent pressure / breakage on delicate parts like the hinges.

Shipping can be expensive, like everyone's said.  Especially for any oversize packages.  I'd sell locally if possible!

This. :nod:  I have  personally sold some duplicate playsets I had - both here in the Uk and internationally and they've arrived safely. I shipped them via courier. I've also had playsets shipped to me from the US with no issues from other members here. Definitely need a lot of careful packing though. As mentioned by others  , take as much apart and individually wrap each bit safely in bubble wrap etc . Plenty packing around all of the individually wrapped bits, eg: packing noodles or airbags, more thick bubble wrap. After that it needs to go in a sturdy box and be taped up all over so that if a postie throws it about or another package gets put on top of it during shipping it wont crush the box and break the plastic.
 Yep it's a bit time consuming , and the shipping can work out expensive but as long as the buyer is aware of shipping costs and is ok with them , it can be done  - if selling locally doesn't work out and you don't want to give the playsets away locally for free :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal