collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To re-pink or not to re-pink, that is the question!  (Read 834 times)

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
To re-pink or not to re-pink, that is the question!
« on: September 03, 2018, 09:39:26 PM »
Hey all!  I know that some collectors re-pink their ponies who have the fading pink mane and tails, and I was wondering how everyone feels about it.  Does it detract from the value of the pony?  What's your personal experience and opinion on re-pinking? 
I ask because I've just won a MO Mommy pony (OMG!  :frolic:), and she's in excellent condition except for the faded mane and tail.  I'm hesitant to re-pink in case it detracts value, especially from such a rare pony.  Thoughts?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: To re-pink or not to re-pink, that is the question!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 01:00:15 AM »
Oh wow - congratulations!!! I would be hesitant to repink her hair myself. She is so very rare and special.

With regards to other, less-rare, ponies I tend to wait until a non-faded one comes up rather than buying one that I can see has been repinked. The colour tone is not always right and that is something that I personally do not like.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 02:40:00 AM »
My Mommy pony also has faded hair out to white. Her baby still has pink (I got them separately) and they do look kind of a mismatch. But I kind of just decided that obviously Mummy's been driven grey by baby over the years ;) I dunno. The white doesn't not go with the body tone. Pink would be nicer, but it's a risk on a rare pony. I guess it depends how confident you feel about repinking in general. If it's something you've done a lot, it's probably fine. If it's going to be your first shot, maybe find a few Poseys first and experiment...

In terms of value, I think it probably has the same impact on value as fading to white does, generally. So long as you disclosed that she'd been repinked if you ever sold her, it would be for the buyer to decide? Also I guess whether the pinking would wash out if a new owner washed her...and whether that could seep onto other stuff and cause other damage.

I don't repink but I have a deflocked Hippety Hop which Artie repinked for me when she deflocked her (<3 Artie) and she looks amazing still. She also hasn't transferred colour onto anything, but I know she's repinked and I'm careful with where she sits. I think if you take those things into consideration, it's probably ok - so long as you are sure of what you're doing ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 04:47:46 AM »
Oooo, congrats!!

If you are keeping her for you, go ahead! It's your point, you do what you want with her.

But some people (like myself) don't like buying ponies that are touched up. I however don't think it negatively affects her price.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 05:23:43 AM »
It depends on the pony for me? I'm alright with restorations and even hints of customization, so I don't mind having either pink hair or white hair. On some ponies it's just too much pink, like Up Up & Away. On some ponies, like Twilight, it's the entire reason I like them, so I'll end up pinking her. Luckily my sister likes to dye her hair pink!
I've repinked one pony so far, and it's Party Time. I did it wrong, though. I couldn't find where the white ended and the pink was supposed to begin, so she's sporting a pink/yellow/blue with no white in her mane. It's a cute combo! Just kinda dissapointed I found out after I had already gone and done it.
It may funnel out potential buyers, but it wouldn't necessarily detract from the value, I think. If the new owner doesn't like it, they can simply wash it out or let the hair fade again!  :P

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 06:57:52 AM »
It may funnel out potential buyers, but it wouldn't necessarily detract from the value, I think. If the new owner doesn't like it, they can simply wash it out or let the hair fade again!  :P

This, definitely! Especially because you're just repinking her original hair, not rehairing her.
I'd personally have no problem whatsoever with a re-pinked pony. Infact I'd probably prefer it to her having white hair! (Just got my first two ponies with hair faded to white!) Rehairs on the other hand are a bit of a different story for me, somehow it just never looks like real, 'natural' pony hair to me and it kind of turns me off.

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 07:01:35 AM »
I wouldn't just based on the fact that I am accident prone and there is not one re-pink process that is 100% guaranteed to be mess-free, and I wouldn't want to stain the pony.

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 07:07:39 AM »
I usually like their hair better white anyway.

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 09:24:08 AM »
I can't comment on the process of re-pinking as I've been too lazy to ever do it, but I think if done right it looks nice. In regards to price, I don't think it would detract like everyone else mentioned. The value would stay the same as a faded hair version.

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal