collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are your obscure toy collections?  (Read 9776 times)

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
What are your obscure toy collections?
« on: September 03, 2018, 08:01:00 PM »
I'm sure many of us have collected toys that aren't nearly as famous as MLP, at least in our area. If you've ever told someone what you collect, and they gave you a blank stare, mention it here! Please feel free to include pics so we don't have to google it. I might edit in a list im this post to include everything mentioned in here.

Here's my most obscure, at least in the US:
Diddl mouse and friends

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Plushies and stationary were sold at Toys R Us for a brief time around 2004ish, shortly after my mom's Danish friend introduced us to Diddl, and I obtained as much as my 9-year-old self could while it was available. Aside from my BFF at the time and my sister, no one I've mentioned it to in the US has recognized it. I've hear that he's rather famous in parts of Europe, like Mickey Mouse.

I've also had to explain Popples to several people but (girl) toy collectors seem to be familiar with them.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:10:08 AM by Khoufu »
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Re: What are your obscure toy collections?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 09:32:30 PM »
     I stopped collecting after a while, but I have a pretty good collection of bakugan. Not really popular, more of like a five minute thing for most. But I loved it for years. It was the first anime-esque media I’d seen, and I loved it. Bakugan were these little figures that rolled into a ball, and had magnets on the bottom so when they hit the playsets and magnetic “gate cards”, how you started a battle, they would pop open. I’m not sure what happened to the franchise, only that it came and went relatively quickly.
     I even have a wii game for it. I’ll try to dig up whatever I can, and post a pic later. Wonder if the dragonoid colossus figure I had still works...
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 09:39:28 PM »
     I stopped collecting after a while, but I have a pretty good collection of bakugan. Not really popular, more of like a five minute thing for most. But I loved it for years. It was the first anime-esque media I’d seen, and I loved it.

I remember Bakugan! I have 2. I loved that they were like cheap, mini Transformers toys. I didn't care about the game at all. If I recall, Bakugan was on the shelves for at least a couple years and had a few gimmick sets.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 06:34:15 AM »
Not exactly obscure, but not many other people collect Get Along Gang stuff.  Also I collect anything Miffy, Poochie or Moomin.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 09:12:11 AM »
Not exactly obscure, but not many other people collect Get Along Gang stuff.  Also I collect anything Miffy, Poochie or Moomin.
I've heard of Get Along Gang (saw a DVD at TRU) but not the others, to my knowledge.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 10:54:13 AM »
I'm sure many of us have collected toys that aren't nearly as famous as MLP, at least in our area. If you've ever told someone what you collect, and they gave you a blank stare, mention it here! Please feel free to include pics so we don't have to google it. I might edit in a list im this post to include everything mentioned in here.

Here's my most obscure, at least in the US:
Diddl mouse and friends

Plushies and stationary were sold at Toys R Us for a brief time around 2004ish, shortly after my mom's Danish friend introduced us to Diddl, and I obtained as much as my 9-year-old self could while it was available. Aside from my BFF at the time and my sister, no one I've mentioned it to in the US has recognized it. I've hear that he's rather famous in parts of Europe, like Mickey Mouse.

Aww, I love Diddl! I had a plushie of him and a sheep, and a bunch of school-type supplies. He was popular in Germany (or at least the little southern town my sister lived in) in the 1990s.

I guess my obscure collection is that I've collected Strawberry Shortcake dolls from Peru- (and Brazil).  I guess Strawberry Shortcake is hardly obscure, but the dolls from Peru are really different...
brazils n perus by Sarah, on Flickr

I used to have the complete collection for Tenko and the Guardians of the Magic, but I finally did sell that...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:56:53 AM by Galactica »

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »

*dramatic gasp*
Miffy!!! :heart: What a blast from the past! The art style in those books always chilled me out when I was a kid. :D

As for toy collections, I'm not sure quite how obscure they are (Macclesfield certainly did not have an active community of collectors though) or if they're even still a thing but I used to really enjoy collecting Crazy Bones, especially around 2007 when the designs got kind of futuristic and more varied. Unfortunately, the chap who ran the newsagent where I went to get them decided to fold his tent, and nowhere else in town had them, so that was that scuppered. :/

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 02:27:33 PM »

*dramatic gasp*
Miffy!!! :heart: What a blast from the past! The art style in those books always chilled me out when I was a kid. :D

As for toy collections, I'm not sure quite how obscure they are (Macclesfield certainly did not have an active community of collectors though) or if they're even still a thing but I used to really enjoy collecting Crazy Bones, especially around 2007 when the designs got kind of futuristic and more varied. Unfortunately, the chap who ran the newsagent where I went to get them decided to fold his tent, and nowhere else in town had them, so that was that scuppered. :/

LOL I have some Crazy Bones!!!! We tried to sell them at a yard sale and everyone got a good laugh of of the package tagline:  "Join the Craze!" ... that apparently none of us had heard of. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »
Mine would have to be Nature's Nursery Lockets.

I only have one but they don't come up on Ebay very often. I also had the green house to grow seedlings in. Not many people seem to remember them anymore. It must have been a pretty short lived toy line. I aksed someone once if they remembered but couldn't stop laughing at the idea of a toy locket that you wore around your neck that grew flower seeds.

Also Bubblins are pretty hard to find. I still have my childhood Lady Mermaiden and her seashell case.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »

I used to have a book of the get along gang. Don't recall seeing any toys.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 04:17:24 PM »

I used to have a book of the get along gang. Don't recall seeing any toys.

yeah they had 8" vinyl toys with fabric clothing and I believe their playset was the railroad caboose that they used as a clubhouse.  I have three so far but only one with clothes.
Also there was the usual paper/kitchen products like nearly all 80's toylines originating from stationery companies.  There are also kids' bedding sets. 

OH!  I also collect Herself the Elf, I totally forgot about her because my collection is so small LOL
The Bad Trader List

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 08:12:05 PM »
Wow!  Those SS Cake dolls are very cool!  I like the ones that look like "real" little girls!

Do you need any of this cool stuff, lovesbabysquirmy?  Got it for sale!

I don't have an obscure toy collections and I haven't heard of a lot of the stuff on this thread.  So, that was fun!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 10:11:40 PM »
Thos Peru Strawberry Shortcake dolls are neat! I had no idea they existed.

They're not really obscure, but I've developed a love for Fashion Star Fillies and have a decent herd now.

One toyline I um and ah about getting (purely nostalgia as I had a couple as a kid) but haven't quite gone there yet are the Hornby Flower Fairies. I remember having a big, green playset with spiderweb hammocks... and there was a little white bridge over a stream. If I see them super cheap I might get some one day, but right now MLP and FSF keep me poor  :P

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 01:42:07 AM »
So many awesome toys mentioned in this thread! I remember buying Crazy Bones around 2002. They were quite popular in my little corner of England. I also had Miffy books when I was little, inherited from my mum. We still have a full set of them I think.

Most of my toy collecting energies are directed towards ponies, Monster High and 90s Kitty in my Pocket, none of which are very obscure. I also have a small collection of vintage dolls, including some 1960s-70s Amanda Jane dolls. They really are quite obscure; I think they were only ever sold in the UK! British company Amanda Jane started out just making dolls' clothes and later produced several different types of doll, from quite large baby dolls to a line of 7 inch tall Amanda Janes and the shorter Amanda Jane babies. Apart from the later babies, all their dolls were made in England; the babies were made in Hong Kong. My mum had some as a child which is how I came to know about them. They're very cute and had awesome outfits and some cute accessories e.g. tiny notebooks with real lined pages.

1970s Amanda Jane Baby: https://imgur.com/a/np6CdWb
1960s Amanda Jane: https://imgur.com/a/ohP8AoM
1962 Amanda Jane Bubbles: https://m.imgur.com/a/iPsrL3P

Offline Gaspode

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+270)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 02:01:11 AM »
Shaz I clicked on this topic out of curiosity and saw your post and can't believe it because my Mum is getting ready to part with her small collection of Amanda Jane stuff!!! Pm me if any interest x

Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous siggy and avatar!

Follow me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gaspodesponys

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal