collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Guillermo Del Toro to Adapt Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark  (Read 2057 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Guillermo Del Toro to Adapt Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
« on: August 31, 2018, 12:14:56 PM »
https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3376659/guillermo-del-toro-scares-your-childhood-with-scary-stories-to-tell-in-the-dark/

Hmm. I don't think this will do well. Its not that I don't have faith in the director, he's very good at what he does. Its just that there are a few problems with this.

1) Upon re-reading these, I realized they are pretty goofy. On par with some of the cheesier Goosebumps and AYAotD episodes.

2) I don't think anyone can properly recreate that artwork. They were pretty scary and likely the cause of many children's nightmares, (ahem mine)

3) Plus Del Toro has his own very distinct monster style.

Ah well, it still might make for some good halloween fun.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 03:31:15 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Kiwichi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Guillermo Del Toro to Adapt Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »
lol.  i couldnt agree more.  great post!  leave a classic a classic.  the movie will ruin the beloved stories.  after reading your post, i too, imagined seeing similar goosebump tv eps which werent very scary.

these were scary *** books.  when i was in grade school my older sister (8yrs older than me) use to read them to us (we were probably too young-heh). 

ill nvr forget the girl with the green ribbon....  the image of her head....  my imagination ran wild and saw it rolling (i swear!).  hahaha.   

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 02:18:05 PM »
Oooooh those books were awesomely creepy and they did pick the PERFECT artist - Stephen Gammell is amazing.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 03:14:40 PM »
lol.  i couldnt agree more.  great post!  leave a classic a classic.  the movie will ruin the beloved stories.  after reading your post, i too, imagined seeing similar goosebump tv eps which werent very scary.

these were scary *** books.  when i was in grade school my older sister (8yrs older than me) use to read them to us (we were probably too young-heh). 

ill nvr forget the girl with the green ribbon....  the image of her head....  my imagination ran wild and saw it rolling (i swear!).  hahaha.

Oh its a movie? I thought it was meant to be a tv series?

I remember the mangy chihuaha rat and the one with the giant head and the human sausage.

Post Merge: August 31, 2018, 03:18:53 PM

Oooooh those books were awesomely creepy and they did pick the PERFECT artist - Stephen Gammell is amazing.

For sure. I dunno if he's still around, but that man's work is wonderfully frightening.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 03:19:12 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 05:41:11 PM »
I had those books too. I like Del Toro's work but he has a tendency to abandon projects. I'm still mad about Silent Hills, the game he was supposed to work on.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 05:42:06 PM »
I had those books too. I like Del Toro's work but he has a tendency to abandon projects. I'm still mad about Silent Hills, the game he was supposed to work on.

I was under the impression that was Konami's fault.

Offline Kiwichi

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 07:19:29 PM »
Just looked it up and says set to be a del Toro film.  Heh good luck, pls don't ruin the classic. 

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 07:36:29 PM »
Just looked it up and says set to be a del Toro film.  Heh good luck, pls don't ruin the classic.

Weeelllll not neccesarily a classic since a lot of them are adapted folk tales and urban legends.

Thanks for the clarification btw.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 09:03:11 PM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Kiwichi

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 08:22:18 PM »
You're probably right LAW, lol.  I'll still be excited to see the trailer and see how this turns out ^.^

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
     I remember seeing those growing up, but I was never brave enough to read them. I’m not a huge fan of  very creepy/horror media, but I might be able to muster the courage to read them.
     Not sure about it being a film though. I mean, from what I can gather, the books are a classic of many peoples childhood frights. And the original artwork is quite the spectacle, even if it’s slightly unnerving. I’m interested in seeing just how del toro and the team handle this project. It has potential, if done correctly. All that’s left to do is wait.
     Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to find the brightest room in the house and try reading these things!
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 09:06:35 PM »
     I remember seeing those growing up, but I was never brave enough to read them. I’m not a huge fan of  very creepy/horror media, but I might be able to muster the courage to read them.
     Not sure about it being a film though. I mean, from what I can gather, the books are a classic of many peoples childhood frights. And the original artwork is quite the spectacle, even if it’s slightly unnerving. I’m interested in seeing just how del toro and the team handle this project. It has potential, if done correctly. All that’s left to do is wait.
     Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to find the brightest room in the house and try reading these things!

Well its not that scary. I mean you've heard the true story from your mother's fathers brother's gardeners classmate about the spiders who laid eggs in someone's cheek. Or the couple who were vacationing in Mexico who adopted a chihuahua but it was really a mutant rat. ;)

Its the illustrations that will keep you up at night.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 11:21:39 PM »
Great post, I hope he succeeds.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2018, 02:09:13 AM »

I'm mad about Mountains of Madness. And his reason to abandon it was stupid, too (Ridley Scott' Prometheus being too similar... when the only similarity is ancient aliens and the story is completely different. But ok).

Will probably watch this, tho. I watch all of his stuff no matter how repetitive it can get. I just like his trademark monsters a lot. Wondering what Doug Jones will play this time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal