collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tales from a Yard Sale - MLP related  (Read 3366 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Tales from a Yard Sale - MLP related
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2018, 06:57:38 PM »
Sorry you didn't sell more!  I agree that the right audience makes a big difference.  I brought a couple G4s, a couple G3s, and one MIB Basic Fun retro pony (Snuzzle) to a small Transformers convention . . . I sold every single pony.

As far as prices goes, it also depends what the audience expects.  Like, I sold Snuzzle for $13 and the G3s and G4s for $5 each.  BUT . . . this was at a convention where adults were buying $100 Transformers for themselves without blinking an eye.  $5 for a pony for your kid doesn't seem like that much money in that instance.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »
I'm going to send my husband to this thread the next time he suggest setting up a toy garage sale.  There's no way it's worth it, I keep telling him I'd have better luck selling at a mom to mom.  I don't want to sit outside all day to only end up barely selling anything because it would be mostly toys.

Offline billietallent

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
  • Imma die surrounded by ponies, yarn, and buttons
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 03:09:43 PM »
But not even the MIB Monster High dolls sold!

Which dolls do you have? I might be interested. :)

Offline Mismatch

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 04:30:50 PM »
I'm just so confused.  I spent years going to yard sales and asking people if they had MLP, and then I have a yard sale FULL of pony, and nobody wants any of them????  >_<

Oh, that brings back memories.  I remember, as a gimlet-eyed little ten year old, sizing up the people holding yard sales and trying to predict if they were kids in the eighties, and whether they might have some ponies for me.  The best was this one yard sale I went to, and the teenage girl said yes and went into the back and came out with a HUGE SHOPPING BAG filled with ponies and accessories.  I was flipping ecstatic.  One of the happiest moments of my childhood.  I got home and spent hours looking through them.  She had a ton of Meghan and Sundance outfits.

... And of course, that was in the late 90s, when you could still hope to get 30 ponies and accessories for twenty bucks.  Then and now, I still think fondly of whoever that teenage girl was for letting her girls pass into my hands.   

Offline Dreamchaser

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 05:12:05 PM »
I imagine you already tried selling here?

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2018, 11:31:14 AM »

... And of course, that was in the late 90s, when you could still hope to get 30 ponies and accessories for twenty bucks.  Then and now, I still think fondly of whoever that teenage girl was for letting her girls pass into my hands.   

I miss those days. I swear I still remember certain finds in the same way, and even some of the former owners too. And my sister literally diving into boxes to get ponies from the bottom.

Those were the days. Good old nineties. Sigh.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »
I can say as a collector that I’ve given up going to garage sales to look for ponies.  It was too much work and almost no gain.  I prefer to go to flea markets rather than spend hours driving around looking for various garage sales.  I’ve also had some luck with Facebook’s Marketplace.  You might try there.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2018, 10:04:15 PM »
Considering the cheapest that a single G4 is sold at retail is $6.99- 7.99 here, I would think that 10 G4s in a bag for $5 is pretty good... works out to $2 a  G4 pony. ;)

I think that's actually 50¢ a pony...?  10 ponies, 5 dollars. 2 ponies for one dollar, fifty cents apiece?

Which is hardly unreasonable and well within garage sale prices for toys. Still you can have the best prices in the world but it won't help if nobody who wants toys shows up, alas.  I'd try a local free classified.  Kijiji is usually decent, around here at least.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 07:51:51 AM »
It's a bit tricky for me to sell at all.  I don't have Facebook and I don't want it.  I don't use Paypal after I was burned hard on a $1000 + bank fee transaction, and Kijiji is chock-full of people who ask me to ship purchases - which Kijiji warns you NOT to do, it's a service to facilitate local pickup paid by cash.

I can list here, but all my ponies are just common Core 7 ponies so not many people would want them.  Again, I think that was a major flaw of G4 - once you have them all, you're done.  At least G1 had dozens of totally different ponies with different gimmicks.  If your family was deadset bent on only buying you pink ponies, when they went to the store, there were enough vastly different MLP to choose from that you did NOT end up with 8 Pinkie Pie's! 
Considering the cheapest that a single G4 is sold at retail is $6.99- 7.99 here, I would think that 10 G4s in a bag for $5 is pretty good... works out to $2 a  G4 pony. ;)

I think that's actually 50¢ a pony...?  10 ponies, 5 dollars. 2 ponies for one dollar, fifty cents apiece?

Which is hardly unreasonable and well within garage sale prices for toys. Still you can have the best prices in the world but it won't help if nobody who wants toys shows up, alas.  I'd try a local free classified.  Kijiji is usually decent, around here at least.

Yeah you're right... oh boy... my math skills suck.  :D
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Mismatch

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 09:12:04 AM »
It's a bit tricky for me to sell at all.  I don't have Facebook and I don't want it.  I don't use Paypal after I was burned hard on a $1000 + bank fee transaction

WHAT??????

OMFG.  HOW does that even happen?  And they don't send out collection agencies for that kind of crap if you refuse to pay, do they?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2018, 10:14:10 AM »

Yeah you're right... oh boy... my math skills suck.  :D

XD Mine suck more because I was thinking 5 for $10, not 10 for $5... x_X;
-___-; I'm never commenting on a thread with math again!

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2018, 12:04:56 PM »
It's a bit tricky for me to sell at all.  I don't have Facebook and I don't want it.  I don't use Paypal after I was burned hard on a $1000 + bank fee transaction

WHAT??????

OMFG.  HOW does that even happen?  And they don't send out collection agencies for that kind of crap if you refuse to pay, do they?

About 10 years ago... Paypal had its own policy regarding backup methods/credit cards in Canada (at the time), so they took from the back-up bank account FIRST instead of the CC.     Then they took from the CC, tried to refund the bank account, but because of the currency exchange, the refund was LESS. So I had basically paid for the item twice and lost out on the currency exchange.  On top of that, my bank has its own policies about which transactions are processed in which order. so at like, 12:01 AM, they processed the bigger amount (my Paypal thing), which nearly drained the account and overdrafted it by $0.43, which incurred bank fees!  When I woke up at like 7 AM and was trying to transfer money into my bank account, I found the whole mess and my account in the red.  Even explaining to the bank was no help, they were like, you gave Paypal access, they have policies, so sorry about your luck but YOU overdrafted, now you owe US bank fees. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 12:08:09 PM by lovesbabysquirmy »
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Mismatch

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2018, 03:03:00 PM »

When I woke up at like 7 AM and was trying to transfer money into my bank account, I found the whole mess and my account in the red.  Even explaining to the bank was no help, they were like, you gave Paypal access, they have policies, so sorry about your luck but YOU overdrafted, now you owe US bank fees. 

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

That's insane.  I can't believe some of this is actually legal.

Offline Emberfly

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I Want to Sticker the World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2018, 03:31:45 PM »
Sorry to hear about your yard sale.  I rarely do yard sales now because ponies are just too hard to come by and I end up wasting a lot of time looking.  That said, I'll take all your G1 Softies off your hands and possibly other ponies, too.  Wish I had known about your sale, I'd have made a point of stopping by.
Thank you to SquarePeg for my beautiful avi.

Offline chateaushelton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • When your 8yo discovered the magnetic hooves
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2018, 09:26:25 AM »
I wish you would have had better luck at your yard sale but perhaps it's fate telling you those ponies were meant to be sold here  ;)

I understand your frustration with PayPal but there are a lot of great people on this site. Maybe you'd consider giving it another chance (selling is different than buying) so your ponies can find awesome new homes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal