collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 35th Starshine  (Read 6845 times)

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
Re: 35th Starshine
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2018, 01:59:33 AM »
On the plus side -

take heart that if your 35ths are imperfect, you can use them for customising (instead of using an original 80s pony).

You get to model with new plastic, no dirty smells and have less of a guilty conscience about changing a (near mint) pony!  :lol:

Let's turn these negatives into positive opportunities (but yeah, agreed, it's a bummer buying something that looks perfect and then discolours after a few weeks, I have not noticed it with my lot, though).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2018, 03:18:02 AM »
Oh wow, I'm really disappointed to hear these are already discoloring! I don't mind the neck gaps too much and the wonky symbols don't bother me at all (I bought my Moonstone because her symbol is so out of line it makes me laugh! :P) but if this set is going to get splotchy and discolored over the years that kind of bothers me. If it's the scent doing it (which I kind of suspect) then its a flaw that could have been so easily avoided by not scenting them! Frankly I'm keeping all of mine in their boxes because Starshine in particular smells awful! I'm not a big fan of scented toys in general.
I'll be keeping an eye on mine to see if anything happens. I wonder if it's best to keep them in the box of if its better to let them sort of air out? If it really is the scent affecting the plastic is there anything that can be done to preserve them?

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2018, 07:17:44 AM »
Huh, I guess I'm lucky, my Starshine hasn't discolored at all. She only has a few stray pieces of glitter from her symbol, no other flaws. I can't believe they are discoloring this quickly >_<

I think I got mine from the first batch. A target near me had a full set of six, so she was guaranteed to be there. The set wasn't on the floor yet and she has the three holes for the scent, not the heart. I've had her for a while too.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2018, 11:09:37 AM »
Huh, I guess I'm lucky, my Starshine hasn't discolored at all. She only has a few stray pieces of glitter from her symbol, no other flaws. I can't believe they are discoloring this quickly >_<

I think I got mine from the first batch. A target near me had a full set of six, so she was guaranteed to be there. The set wasn't on the floor yet and she has the three holes for the scent, not the heart. I've had her for a while too.

Just to add to this, I haven't seen any packaging with the heart. Not even the bilingual packaging from Ebay.

I am not sure we can track these issues down to one specific packaging style though...can we? The Parasol I saw with discolouration was in the English only box...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2018, 02:22:20 PM »
My Starshine is also okay. She's in a bilingual box with the heart shape to smell her scent.
I think it's terrible that so many of the Rainbow ponies are starting to discolor already. I wonder if it's the scented plastic?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2018, 02:29:36 PM »
I kind of agree with glitterball though...

It's not good that they are discolouring, but it does seem to affect just this set. And to be blunt, if lots of people in the US start complaining and returning rainbows for flaws or issues like this, the possibility of the line ending prematurely is high....and even more possibility of people in other places like here not getting even wave 3.

It isn't good that this is happening, but I worry a little about perfectionism towards a $10 toy getting out of hand.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 02:38:17 PM »
I'll be keeping mine even if they discolor. :) It's just a little dissapointing that we're already seeing issues with these. I think a couple of people mentioned their ponies having flaws on the non display side when they deboxed them?

I also agree that if a lot of people start returning the ponies they've already bought then Basic Fun might cancel the line. The retro Strawberry Shortcake line did pretty well although Peach Blush was released at a bad time (when most Target stores were putting the older Strawberry Shortcake dolls on clearance)

I'm hoping to get 2 full sets of Rainbows and unicorn/pegasus ponies so I can open a set and keep a set MIB. If one set of Rainbows shows more discoloration than the other I will probably debox the discolored set.

Has anyone seen any discoloring issues with the other 3 Rainbow ponies Windy, Skydancer and Sunlight?

Ponyfan

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:34:35 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline CherryTreats

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »
All bilingual packaging I've seen has the heart (including the ones on ebay). Instead of three dots in the middle of the plastic to smell them, it's ten dots arranged to look like a heart.

So far, I have not noticed discoloration with Windy, Skydancer, or Sunlight. It's odd to see a new retro pony can start to yellow, while many of my childhood 80's ponies are fine. At least it's only this set.

I really hope the line is selling well enough that it will continue--ponies sell well here and even typical flawed ones get bought (except one Parasol who is the worst of all I've seen) and I buy so many due to buying 2 of each, and I buy them as gifts. I have a friend who doesn't collect ponies, but had them as a child and wants retro ponies, but still has not seen even one pony (not even a collectors pony!) despite checking multiple Targets. I would have thought ponies being returned happens mainly with ebay sellers who buy tons of ponies specifically to sell at a much higher price, but then the pony becomes more common and doesn't sell like that anymore. I have never returned a pony (even as a kid when someone gifted me the same pony I already had I kept that one too because I love twins). Even if I were to buy more due to yellowing (which may be futile anyhow since this can happen to that one too), I'd just be enjoying having duplicates, or sell/trade to collectors who want them, or gift them to others who want them. I'm attached to my opened retro rainbow ponies, even though a couple have some yellowing--they were a gift and they are staying with me for life.  :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:27:22 AM by CherryTreats »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2018, 09:56:57 AM »
My Sunlight is fine. I'm not going to return them, because I love them and its been too long anyways, but perhaps hinting to BF that there are problems because of the scenting could hopefully keep other sets from sharing similar issues.

There always has to be something doesn't there?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ThePoneZone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Boop the Ice Crystal! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2018, 11:12:00 AM »
I just got my 5 pack from Amazon, so far aside from a few tiny spots that aren't that noticable and some glitter explosions, my ponies don't seem too bad, but I also haven't taken them out of the box to look at the other side, yet. I'm kinda afraid to.  :yikes:
I don't get to buy ponies often, but I cherish them when I do :lovey:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal