collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The ponies (and merch) that may be made of fables...  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
The ponies (and merch) that may be made of fables...
« on: August 28, 2018, 06:29:34 PM »
So.

We all know there are prototypes. We also know that there are photos of prototypes that were never produced. However...

There are ones that you KNOW that exist, but have not "seen". For me, it's been this:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It's alive. I know it is. I (think  D:) I saw it years ago.

How about you? Do you have any fabled ponies that you would love to have, or at least FIND so you can at least validate that they are real?

Have you believed something was real but received proof that its existence was a myth?

Maybe it WAS a myth, but you found the pony it was based off of and that suffices?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 06:32:05 PM by Sweet Daes »

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: The ponies (and merch) that may be made of fables...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 07:03:29 PM »
Flat Foot Lemon Drop. I thought she was real, referenced her in a thread, and someone pointed me out :)

I've done a lot of research since then. The myth exists because of FF Peachy, who I have yet to find myself. Some Lemon Drops and Peachys look like FFs when they're not because there are two different molds.

The FF lookalikes have only two hooves stamped. They are of lesser quality, having a bit of bubbling on their feet, straight hair that falls flat and doesn't bob and lay around the neck nicely, along with having more space between plugs (which can be uneven), and lesser quality plastic that is far squishier. The hair on these is also lesser quality and matches some lesser quality playset ponies.

The regular one is the one with four hooves stamped, which was also used for the CP ponies and is just the normal one. This one has soft plastic and silky shiny hair that curves around the mane with ease, like all collectors.

The squishier, lesser quality plastic on the two stamped ones makes them slump forward, causing them to look like FFs. I don't think I have a two stamp Lemon Drop, but I would like to since they resemble the FFs more :) Even if they are lesser quality.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Dreamchaser

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 07:28:21 PM »
I am pretty sure I found a flat foot Peachy once. I may even still have her somewhere in storage (I am moving) But I think the Show Stable came out too long after the Pretty Parlor for Lemondrop to be FF.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 12:15:40 AM »
FF Peachy only seems to show up in the US/Canada so suggests she was only a thing really early in production. The parlour is the first playset, at least as far as I know, so makes sense. Lemon Drop must have been just that shade later, but I remember that myth and believing it for a while too.

For me, lots of myths. Some of which I knew weren't true, some of which I hoped were true, some of which have since been solved by knowledge about Nirvana ponies.

On the reverse, and speaking of fables, as a kid I didn't believe Truly and Cupcake were real. It's weird because we had stories about a lot of ponies that were not sold here. I always believed in all of those, and I believed in Paradise...but I always thought Truly and Cupcake were made up for TV. Also Scoops and the ice cream shoppe. It was only when I got online for the first time in 97 that I learned they were real :D

A while back I posted an image of my list of unknown ponies from 1998. I'll post it again because it shows ponies that we thought existed back then. Some are now identified, some debunked. :) It's interesting to look back 20 years and see what has changed.

Some are crossed out because at a later point they got debunked, but I think you can still read most of it. My favourite is still the Finnish Flutter Pony Tiny Wings ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:19:35 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 01:07:51 AM »
FF Peachy only seems to show up in the US/Canada so suggests she was only a thing really early in production. The parlour is the first playset, at least as far as I know, so makes sense. Lemon Drop must have been just that shade later, but I remember that myth and believing it for a while too.

For me, lots of myths. Some of which I knew weren't true, some of which I hoped were true, some of which have since been solved by knowledge about Nirvana ponies.

On the reverse, and speaking of fables, as a kid I didn't believe Truly and Cupcake were real. It's weird because we had stories about a lot of ponies that were not sold here. I always believed in all of those, and I believed in Paradise...but I always thought Truly and Cupcake were made up for TV. Also Scoops and the ice cream shoppe. It was only when I got online for the first time in 97 that I learned they were real :D

A while back I posted an image of my list of unknown ponies from 1998. I'll post it again because it shows ponies that we thought existed back then. Some are now identified, some debunked. :) It's interesting to look back 20 years and see what has changed.

Some are crossed out because at a later point they got debunked, but I think you can still read most of it. My favourite is still the Finnish Flutter Pony Tiny Wings ;)

Baby Skydancer! *grabby hands!*

Offline Dreamchaser

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 09:09:43 AM »
I was lucky enough to get the Paradise Estate for Christmas as my only gift. No regrets, except that my sister and I fought all the time over it because she destroyed my stuff, leading to my dad taking my entire collection that summer to the dump, including my playsets.
But, I had always wished for NSS Paradise. I hated SS ponies, because I would play outside with them and the flocking would get gross.
I had always wished that all the collector ponies had babies, like Blossom and Cottoncandy. I also never understood why Bowtie and Applejack never had babies, because Ember was posed just like them. Blue Ember was always Bowtie's baby, and Pink Ember was adopted by Applejack.
I also thought it was unfair that Firefly had a baby, but not Medly. Green is my favorite color, so Medly and Minty needed babie, dangit!
I was so happy to learn that some of those did exist!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:19:01 AM by Dreamchaser »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 09:34:08 AM »
I grew up thinking Glory was in Moondancer's pose, because that's the pose she's drawn on in the Year 2 backcard.  It was so weird when I finally got Glory secondhand and she was in a completely different pose!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline babypowder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
    • Thanks to Ponyland Press for my adoptable
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »
I have heard of Holly Dash...but have never seen her.
Cutie Marks for Cutie Marks!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 12:16:46 PM »
I have heard of Holly Dash...but have never seen her.

She exists!!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline chateaushelton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • When your 8yo discovered the magnetic hooves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 12:19:24 PM »
I do like the legend of the FF Lemondrop :)

I must have gotten one of the very first batches of ponies as a kid because all mine were FF (even Peachy). Later, when I got the Show Stable I actually thought something was 'wrong' with Lemondrop because while she was in the same pose as the others - her hooves were different.

I'm still looking for Danny (Megan & Molly's brother). I know they had to have a discussion about making him. I'm sure there's a prototype somewhere!

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 04:58:21 AM »
I grew up thinking Glory was in Moondancer's pose, because that's the pose she's drawn on in the Year 2 backcard.  It was so weird when I finally got Glory secondhand and she was in a completely different pose!

Me too, but in reverse. As a kid I had Glory and Sunbeam, but not Twilight and Moondancer. I was convinced for years that Twi and Moondancer were in the opposite pose because of that backcard. Never noticed that the poses were reversed on all the unicorns.

Elf

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 01:07:33 PM »
EDIT- NEVERMIND  :drunk:
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 01:56:53 PM »
White Windy and Yellow Moondancer. I now know that yellow Moondancer exists but I'm still not sure what the conclusion was about white Windy. I'm also hoping for any G4 princess Seapony other than princess Skystar...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:00:53 PM by Artemesia Floc »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 04:56:28 PM »
White Windy and Yellow Moondancer. I now know that yellow Moondancer exists but I'm still not sure what the conclusion was about white Windy. I'm also hoping for any G4 princess Seapony other than princess Skystar...
I've heard that White Windy (and also White Bluebell) were different batches where the dye fades or leeches out faster than usual. White Bluebell's symbols are sheer pink when faded because they put pink over blue to make purple. I'm not sure this is all true though.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 05:32:33 PM »
For years I thought there was a MLP giftset with Gusty, Baby Gusty and a Daddy Gusty. The closet thing I’ve found is the Apple Delight family although I’m not sure how I mistook 3 Earth ponies for unicorns :lol:

Another one I remember is when the brown Macau Jenny was rumored to be a MLP version of Megan’s pony TJ.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal