collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "What Lies Beneath" FiM S8EP22  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
"What Lies Beneath" FiM S8EP22
« on: August 26, 2018, 11:11:35 PM »
It's is probably my favorite of the season so far. I've felt like the students haven't really been utilized to their full potential. This was really great. They've really needed more development.
Spoiler
I really wonder how the deal with the Tree of Harmony being sentient will play out!
They're really being not subtle with something being off with Cozy Glow.

What did everyone think of this episode?

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: "What Lies Beneath" FiM S8EP22
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 12:43:19 AM »
Great episode premise!! Very interesting, getting a look into a more negative side of all their personalities; fear and doubt can be hurtful.

Spoiler
And I've been suspicious of Cozy Glow from the start. I've suspected she's actually Chrysalis this whole time. She's TOO cute, even for ponies, she's constantly causing strife, and she's too eager to know everything about the Elements themselves, not necessarily friendship. Plus, well, the big give away is her cutie mark; it's a Queen chess piece. Bit on the nose, especially since most every pony that isn't a HUGE recurring character has a cutie mark that fits with their name. Even Sandbar's cutie mark does. But her... Cozy Glow? That has nothing to do with chess. And there's only two known queens in this universe; Chrysalis and Novo. We know where Queen Novo is; with the hippogriffs, moving between Mount Aeris and Seaquestria to rule her people. But Chrysalis has been on the run, the last unfulfilled changeling, who we know has a grudge against those involved with the school and who resents all things friendship. So, dollars to doughnuts, she's Chrysalis, and she's trying to destroy the school and prevent the spread of harmony.
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 09:16:55 AM »
I actually thought that Cosy Glow was the pony who was revealed to be Queen Chrysalis in the leak ages ago, and then I realised I misremembered it and it was another pony with a camera cutie mark, or something (it was the Mean Six storyline, I think.)

It's weird though - she's my favorite villain, but I want them to stop using her.  I think they're over doing her, and I kind of want them to take a break on her now.  It's weird, I have mixed feelings.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 06:28:47 PM »
Finally got around to watching this one.  In regards to Cozy Glow: yeah, it seems pretty obvious that she is up to no good and the signs pointing to her being Chrysalis are undeniable.  The only plot hole in that is that, if I remember correctly, her first appearance as Cozy Glow happens before the episode where Queen Chrysalis pretends to be that journalist to get pics and hair samples.  So what was the point in setting that whole thing up as the journalist pony if she already had an established cover to be in and around the school?  Anyway, it’ll probably be a plot hole left  unanswered.

So this was a good episode but I also really liked the Rockhoof episode.  I felt such sympathy for poor Rockhoof.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 07:30:56 PM »
Is everyone finding this episode online? I thought maybe I missed it on Discovery Family but it doesn't look like it has aired yet.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 07:33:59 PM »
Great episode premise!! Very interesting, getting a look into a more negative side of all their personalities; fear and doubt can be hurtful.

Spoiler
And I've been suspicious of Cozy Glow from the start. I've suspected she's actually Chrysalis this whole time. She's TOO cute, even for ponies, she's constantly causing strife, and she's too eager to know everything about the Elements themselves, not necessarily friendship. Plus, well, the big give away is her cutie mark; it's a Queen chess piece. Bit on the nose, especially since most every pony that isn't a HUGE recurring character has a cutie mark that fits with their name. Even Sandbar's cutie mark does. But her... Cozy Glow? That has nothing to do with chess. And there's only two known queens in this universe; Chrysalis and Novo. We know where Queen Novo is; with the hippogriffs, moving between Mount Aeris and Seaquestria to rule her people. But Chrysalis has been on the run, the last unfulfilled changeling, who we know has a grudge against those involved with the school and who resents all things friendship. So, dollars to doughnuts, she's Chrysalis, and she's trying to destroy the school and prevent the spread of harmony.

Symbols that don't match names, don't neccesarily mean anything since plenty of ponies have a disconnect between name, symbol and sometimes color.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 07:38:22 PM »
Is everyone finding this episode online? I thought maybe I missed it on Discovery Family but it doesn't look like it has aired yet.

Ponyfan

Yes.  I don’t have cable so I just watch them online whenever it’s brought to my attention that a new one is available.  Some countries also seem to be on an earlier release schedule than the US so some episodes are coming out earlier online.

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 10:01:41 PM »
ugh... CRINGE. I can't stand Cozy as far as I can throw her.
spoilers, yo
I am of the opinion that Cozy Glow is meant to undermine the school. Her cutiemark may look like a torch, but to me it looks like a rook. Rooks, as in a game of chess.

Does that mean that there is a checkmate afoot between the royalty and the rook?

I have believed that Cozy has been an antihero all this time, but after this episode, she is more of a villian then what I anticipated from the beginning. She was trying so hard to be sweetly spiteful that it made me cringe, and the only way that I could see that personality working, along with that cutiemark, would be if she was in cahoots with Chancellor Neighsay to be the mole.

I see it like this:
Why else would she be trying to unravel the studious 6 by attacking their race? After all, Neighsay had it out for the school from the get-go due to ponified bigotry (which seems to have been the social norm since BEFORE Celestia banished Luna "1000 years ago"), and Cozy's actions have that same stench.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 08:13:36 AM »
I'm happy episode diacussions are back because I really enjoyed the one with the students (and also the one with Starlight and Trixie, obviously).

The students are just sweet characters. Especially loved the dragon in this one, so relatable for all coolgirls out there  :lol:

ugh... CRINGE. I can't stand Cozy as far as I can throw her.
spoilers, yo
I am of the opinion that Cozy Glow is meant to undermine the school. Her cutiemark may look like a torch, but to me it looks like a rook. Rooks, as in a game of chess.

Does that mean that there is a checkmate afoot between the royalty and the rook?

I have believed that Cozy has been an antihero all this time, but after this episode, she is more of a villian then what I anticipated from the beginning. She was trying so hard to be sweetly spiteful that it made me cringe, and the only way that I could see that personality working, along with that cutiemark, would be if she was in cahoots with Chancellor Neighsay to be the mole.

I see it like this:
Why else would she be trying to unravel the studious 6 by attacking their race? After all, Neighsay had it out for the school from the get-go due to ponified bigotry (which seems to have been the social norm since BEFORE Celestia banished Luna "1000 years ago"), and Cozy's actions have that same stench.

Spoiler
I have always thought Cozy's mark was a rook and nothing else. Huh.
I like that they bring in an overarching plot when it comes to the school. Should have done so from the very start of the show. It just connects the episodes better and makes things more interesting.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 11:36:47 AM »

Ponyfan

Yes.  I don’t have cable so I just watch them online whenever it’s brought to my attention that a new one is available.  Some countries also seem to be on an earlier release schedule than the US so some episodes are coming out earlier online.

This one sounds really interesting so I may have to skip ahead and watch this one online. :)

Ponyfan

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2018, 11:04:47 PM »
I just saw this episode. I really enjoyed  it and I think it's one of the best episodes of the season so far.  :)

Spoiler

It was interesting to see that the Tree of Harmony can now appear as a pony and even more interesting that it chose to appear as Twilight although that might have been because the Tree knew that the students wouldn't be afraid of Twilight.

I agree about Cozy Glow. Something is going on with her. She tried to act like she made the students doubt their friendship accidently but I think that was her plan all along. I wonder if the students will be involved with saving Equestria or the Mane 6? Maybe that's why Cozy Glow was trying to get them to doubt that they could be friends?  I also think Cozy Glow could be Chrysalis.  She could have disguised herself as Cozy Glow  so she could sabotage the school without being noticed and still needed the journalist pony disguise to get close enough to the Mane 6 to get their hair samples. 

There has to be a reason why Cozy Glow didn't want Sandbar and the others to tell Twilight about the Tree giving them a friendship test. The only thing that doesn't make complete sense to me if Chrysalis is Cozy Glow is that Ocellus isn't able to detect Chrysalis (like Chrysalis did when Thorax disguised himself as Starlight) buy Ocellus is pretty young or maybe only the Queen or King of the Changelings has the power to see through Changeling disguises.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal