collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cherry Treats & Discolouration  (Read 6086 times)

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Re: Cherry Treats & Discolouration
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 07:44:32 AM »
ashlyne, your HK one looks to have very thick eyeliner, like the eyeliner was double stamped?

I think you mean my China one?   I don't think it's double-stamped. It's all solid.  I've seen other ponies with thick eyeliner like that ;)
Yes, I did mean the China one xD That's interesting then, I haven't seen that. Thank you :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2018, 04:36:16 AM »
Cherry Treats is one of my all time favourite ponies. I love this set :)

My childhood CT is not discoloured as I remember, and not sure, but probably China, as I'm in Europe. Dont remember the forelock bit though. 
My MOC is discoloured, and on US card, but cant say where she was made.

These topics are really interesting, and it makes me sad that all my ponies are packed away, so I cant really contribute. But will follow with interest :)
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline CherryTreats

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2018, 02:46:37 AM »
Cherry Treats is my favorite pony. :) I love seeing all the beautiful pics of her! I don't consider any Cherry Treats bright, pure white like some white ponies are. I think age/type of plastic/scent tends to discolor her, though age alone can make some white ponies look duller. I wish they'd make a bright white retro unscented version of her. I think my made in China one does look a bit whiter. She has no forelock and does seem like a different plastic. Hong Kong ones I have do have a forelock. My childhood one who was played with a lot is not very white. A very long time ago someone once told me that made in China Cherry Treats is white and smells like cherries and the Hong Kong one is prone to discoloration/turning tan and smells like play-dough. Mine do smell different and I tend to think China ones are more likely to be white. I didn't realize there is one made in China that has a forelock--interesting! Was Cherry Treats ever in pony comics? Someone told me she was, but I've never seen a pic.

comparing to some other very white ponies:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2018, 02:51:51 AM »
Wow, thanks for all of those images and comparisons!

The Chinese forelock pony is curious to me as well. I'm kind of glad to know she does exist and I didn't imagine her, but explaining why she does is really annoying xD. I think it must just be that Hasbro in the US wanted forelocks and Hasbro in Europe didn't care, and the HK ones maybe happened first and then manufacture shifted to China and the European ones (which came out a year later) were therefore all China.

That would also explain why there are both Chinese and HK versions of Blueberry baskets, and maybe Cranberry Muffins as well. It's that 1988ish time period where we see that HK/China thing for other sets as well (Sundae Best, Summer Wing, etc) so that would maybe make sense? (scrabbles at clues).

@CherryTreats, I'm pretty sure she is in the comic. I am not sure she had a major role. I remember Blackberry (Boysenberry) Pie having a cover story episode that went on a bit, but I usually took note of my childhood ponies when they appeared and I can't right now remember for Cherry. I think she was maybe on a cover...LM's scans may help with this more than my memory, though...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CherryTreats

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2018, 07:46:30 PM »
You're welcome, Taffeta! That explanation for the Chinese forelock pony makes sense to me. I would love to find a Chinese forelock one. I'm so glad she was in the comics, even if she did not have a major role. I hope someday I can see or buy the comics that have her in them. That would be awesome if she's on the cover of the one with Blackberry/Boysenberry Pie. I will have to keep a look out for that one. I noticed the sweetberry ponies appearing on some merchandise in recent years, like a dress, shirt, and shoes. And the pony postcard set I got recently had one postcard with the sweetberry backcard so I'm very happy about that.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2018, 11:48:00 PM »
Cherry Treats was one of my very first ponies, and my first full size white pony (McD's G2s aside). She's even un my avatar. Mine is HK with forelock. She's a bit dull but not my worst white pony by far. Eventually I'll have to line up my white pony hoard by brightness.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2018, 02:11:04 AM »
That would be awesome if she's on the cover of the one with Blackberry/Boysenberry Pie. I will have to keep a look out for that one.

I had a quick look through the pictures I have of my pony comics (which are far inferior to the scans other people have) and she's on the cover of 128 and with Blackberry Pie on the cover of 138 as well. Here you go :)
Spoiler

Ironically, she has a forelock ;)

But then most of the comic pictures were done either from the prototypes or the US release that was already out in stores. We didn't get Sweetberry ponies till around 1990ish I don't think...so a lot later than the 1988 release in the US. The second comic is certainly dated 1990 and that makes sense with my memory.

I am also now wondering how they are pictured on the UK insert. And whether it's 1990 or 1991 I have in Hasbro catalogues...because this was the annoying year when the whole set wasn't pictured on backs of cards :/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 02:16:18 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CherryTreats

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2018, 02:47:11 AM »
Wow, thank you so much, Taffeta!  :) I love those! That's funny she has the forelock. That's interesting how you didn't get the Sweetberry ponies there until 1990. I'm not sure exactly what you mean regarding how they are pictured on the insert/back of Cherry Treats card. Do you mean US Cherry Treats? I can't seem to remember an insert that has her on it. Is there an insert she is on?

I had a quick look through the pictures I have of my pony comics (which are far inferior to the scans other people have) and she's on the cover of 128 and with Blackberry Pie on the cover of 138 as well. Here you go :)
Spoiler

But then most of the comic pictures were done either from the prototypes or the US release that was already out in stores. We didn't get Sweetberry ponies till around 1990ish I don't think...so a lot later than the 1988 release in the US. The second comic is certainly dated 1990 and that makes sense with my memory.

I am also now wondering how they are pictured on the insert/back of Cherry Treats' card. And whether it's 1990 or 1991 I have in Hasbro catalogues...

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2018, 02:55:47 AM »
Wow, thank you so much, Taffeta!  :) I love those! That's funny she has the forelock. That's interesting how you didn't get the Sweetberry ponies there until 1990. I'm not sure exactly what you mean regarding how they are pictured on the insert/back of Cherry Treats card. Do you mean US Cherry Treats? I can't seem to remember an insert that has her on it. Is there an insert she is on?

Spoiler

I am also now wondering how they are pictured on the insert/back of Cherry Treats' card. And whether it's 1990 or 1991 I have in Hasbro catalogues...

I think there may be a UK one, but I can't 100% remember if they are included or not without having my folder in front of me. I know that Cherry Treats is also in the advert for the petite ponies...

Note, no forelock.. ;)

As for the card, I meant the UK one but I had forgotten till I checked my images that this is the year where they show one example from each set instead of the full set (and the Sweetberry shown is Blackberry Pie) so it's not helpful. The US one is a drawing, but I was thinking of photo advertising...

Edit: I found what I was thinking of, it is this:

Hasbro should be ashamed of calling that a forelock though. Seriously, make up your minds...
And that is also 1990. So much later than the US release.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 02:57:49 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline CherryTreats

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2018, 03:34:56 AM »
Thanks for all the pics, Taffeta! :D I'd have liked them to make a petite CT. I'm saving all these pics and am so glad to have them! I love that new in ponyland photo one! The forelock in that one is so funny! It kinda looks like they took one without a forelock and tried to make a forelock. 

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2018, 03:41:41 AM »
Thanks for all the pics, Taffeta! :D I'd have liked them to make a petite CT. I'm saving all these pics and am so glad to have them! I love that new in ponyland photo one! The forelock in that one is so funny! It kinda looks like they took one without a forelock and tried to make a forelock. 

I think that is exactly what they did ;D
I'm glad you like the images. Like I said, I tended to notice when one of my childhood ponies was in a story or an advert as a kid, it made me kind of proud to have that pony. I think she's only in the petite one for size comparison, but it is interesting that it is her. And you wonder if it's the same one as the one who got the makeshift forelock in the other photo or a different one completely. Because we were so much later with the set, I am pretty sure all this advertising was done with really close to release ponies, actual release ready ones or ones from the US.

She has a forelock in your avatar from the UK card as well, which begs the question at which point did Hasbro Uk give up, wave the white flag and just decide to go forelock free with this set...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2018, 07:30:26 AM »
Pure white Cherry Treats looks like an imposter to me, kinda the same way I see Merry Treats.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2018, 09:05:16 AM »

The Chinese forelock pony is curious to me as well. I'm kind of glad to know she does exist and I didn't imagine her, but explaining why she does is really annoying xD. I think it must just be that Hasbro in the US wanted forelocks and Hasbro in Europe didn't care, and the HK ones maybe happened first and then manufacture shifted to China and the European ones (which came out a year later) were therefore all China.

I suspect that's the case.

By the way, the mail order pearly babies are another set of three variations like this:   HK with forelock, China with forelock, and China without forelock.   ;)

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2018, 09:08:09 AM »

I suspect that's the case.

By the way, the mail order pearly babies are another set of three variations like this:   HK with forelock, China with forelock, and China without forelock.   ;)

Interesting. I need to check which mine are. And we never had those here, so this one is all Hasbro US being weird ;) But I do suspect the production order may be the order you just stated. HK forelock, China forelock, China without. It would fit with the much later 1990s Sweetberries here, and the fact that subsequent sets over here like Romances, 7 Characters etc also all lacked forelocks.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2018, 06:42:25 AM »
Most of the US sets from 1990 onward didn't have forelocks any more.  So if the Sweetberry set came out around then in the UK, that would make sense . . .  The China ones with forelocks might have been the very earliest ones made for the UK, or simply leftover US stock.

For the US sets, I've never had one without a forelock pass through my hands from thrifting, with the exception of Boysenberry Pie.  (But that is because unicorns almost never have forelocks.)

I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but there's a Petite pony advertisement that has Cherry Treats in it (for scale.)  I think she's the version with a forelock.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal