collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Testors Color Shift Aerosols: Are they ok for pony plastic?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Testors Color Shift Aerosols: Are they ok for pony plastic?
« on: August 25, 2018, 05:17:47 AM »
Ok I'll admit that the only Testors Aerosol products I've used on ponies has been the dullcoat but I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday and ran across the Color Shifts by them. I've used Folkart color shift (but it's a brush on and I haven't 100% had a chance to use it on a pony) but I wanted to give the testors ones a try.

I originally planned on using it on a harder plastic horse and some of my 3D prints but the idea of using it on a pony is something I would like to do as well. Of course I'd sacrifice a fakie first XD

But has anyone used ANY of the Testors Aerosols on ponies other than the Dullcoat?
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Xenotropos

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • the blindbag addiction is real
    • View Profile
Re: Testors Color Shift Aerosols: Are they ok for pony plastic?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 02:06:44 PM »
I've never used any aerosol paint on vinyl before so I did some digging.

The FAQ for this paint on the Testors site says it's for use on "wood, metal, paper mache, terra cotta, ceramic bisque, glass and most porous surfaces".  The ad page includes "and more" but doesn't say what exactly this "more' entails.  I checked the safety pdf and it won't tell me what exactly this is made from or what it interacts with.

I did some digging around.  MUNNY (that's how they spell it, sorry for the all caps) suggests that any aerosol used on vinyl can result in a a sticky surface even when dry.  They suggest using a coat of "Krylon sandable primer" first.  Having said that, the Testor's site also suggested a primer followed by a black base coat (https://www.testors.com/pages/help-and-support/faqs/color-shift-faqs).

Like you said, I'd try this on a fakie first to see how well it holds up - just in case this all goes sideways.  Nobody wants a melted pony.  From what I can gather though as long as you do this in a well ventilated area and use a primer/base coat it should be do-able.  If it works this should make for one pretty pony!

Offline Dreamchaser

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »
I tried spray painting a pony for a custom. It did not go well. First, it stayed sticky, then when I tried to use acetone to remove it, it would not come off fully.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 04:28:09 AM »
The only test I have done so far was on a PLA 3D print (which is a corn based hard plastic that does have a bad reaction to acetone.. which is what is mentioned in the warning on the can). So far it's not melted but I had gesso on the figure first then a black coat of acrylic paint (don't have actual primer and base coat stuff).

This stuff is more like a top coat for color effects, where as more spray paints you have to do several coats to get something nice with the color. I'll do more testing (fakie and maybe buy one of those baggie G4 ponies to test with)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Dreamchaser

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 07:33:31 PM »
Sounds good! Let us know how it comes out!

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 12:46:41 PM »
I know people use spray paint to colour dolls all the time, I've personally used one to turn a Barbie light blue, make sure you use a seal and it should take away any stickys, but I have no idea how it works with pony plastic
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 11:01:59 AM »
I know people use spray paint to colour dolls all the time, I've personally used one to turn a Barbie light blue, make sure you use a seal and it should take away any stickys, but I have no idea how it works with pony plastic

What seal do you need to use.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 04:51:05 PM »

just a basic acrylic sealer, from my experience mod podge, msc, and krylon have worked best
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 07:34:23 PM »
The problem with volatile paint isn't just that the surface can end up sticky though, it's that a lot of them end up interacting with the chemical composition of the vinyl itself, which can lead to blisters, peeling, colour bleed, stickiness and all sorts of other unwanted deteriorations.  Vinyl, especially toy vinyl, just isn't stable.  And it's not a single predictable formula either, so there's always an element of risk even with testing.  Problems sometimes take weeks, months or years to show up.

The only real advice I can give is don't have high expectations of longevity.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 10:43:19 PM »

just a basic acrylic sealer, from my experience mod podge, msc, and krylon have worked best

Thanks
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal