collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What would you do? (My bad handwriting caused shipping problem)  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do? (My bad handwriting caused shipping problem)
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »
You wouldn't believe how many people are obsessed with having their names spelled right.  I used to schedule people for community service and there were some that ranted and raved for up to ten minutes just because I'd spelled their oddly spelled name incorrectly (i.e. their name was Stephanie and they spelled it Stefany).  I'm not sure why, but complaining about the name spelled wrong was usually a sign that they wouldn't work out.

My name has many acceptable spellings and I don't care how it's spelled as long as I know it's meant for me.

I personally have given up with correct pronunciation but I do insist on proper spelling in real life situations, because if its an official document of some kind, and I don't want complications in the future. Jobs, dentist, doctors, university, accommodation...all these things I've had to correct spellings. And in emails it;s funny how I always sign my name properly at the bottom and to begin with, they reply with it spelt right - but gradually it becomes more and more generic.

I am sympathetic to the 'Stefany's of this world...ok, at ten minute rant is extreme, but when you've been humiliated in front of your school class multiple times because of the weird pronuniciations or the "sorry, can't pronounce thats", it does start to eat away at you inside.

My name is not even all that complicated. It just has a much more usual generic spelling and pronunciation which I gradually get defaulted to by people. And if I've given them the name correctly, and they're even replying to a document with that name spelt correctly on it, I think they're really rude to not bother to get it right.

I don't rant, I just politely correct. BUT I tend to lose respect for the person on the other side of the equation.

When I was working in the college, and when I was teaching last year, I made a point of learning how to spell and say all my students' names correctly. Because it might not matter in the bigger picture but it matters to a person to have someone take the time to respect what they are actually called. Not what someone else wants to call tthem because it's easier to spell or say.

All of that said - it shouldn't affect mail.

We have the annoying problem here that although sister and I both have our own addresses, sometimes things go home to the parents. And because we have the same first initial, if the person sending doesn't bother to use the middle initial too, or the full name, we don't know who it is for. And you wouldn't believe how many times these same organisations have been asked and have notes on their record...but it doesn't ever change.

Oh I understand for official documents and correspondence but the times I've been yelled at it was for a calendar of hours to be worked which they signed up for over the phone and they hadn't bothered to tell me it was spelled a special way before ranting and raving about how I couldn't get it right. I've also watched fast food workers get yelled at for not correctly spelling a name to be called out when the order was ready.  Sometimes it's just not that important.

But as long as the address is right on the packages the name shouldn't have been what kept it from being delivered.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 12:48:36 AM »
Chiming in to agree with the 'I've had mail delivered to not-my-legal-name just fine' crowd; I've received stuff with my SN on it, nicknames, first initial, even misspellings! I suspect (since the official tracking said 'unable to deliver' which means she's not just a scammer) that there's some super-finnicky person working at USPS during the shift her package came in, and THEY decided it needed to be more legible, or something like that. (Maybe the machine that auto-reads the addresses couldn't pick up your handwriting and they had to manually sort it? Who knows!)

That said, I don't know that it's something to get angry at you about; I could see (as a buyer) wanting to inform my sender that, next time, they should be more careful about how they write addresses, but it seems like a little much to get angry about it. That said - maybe she was having a bad day in general. Making a special trip to the post office isn't fun, and staying on the phone with the mail service is even less so! So I think you went above and beyond with refunding her the cost of shipping, but if she had requested that, I would not be comfortable selling to them in the future, myself. (Folks make mistakes, it happens! You're not buying from Amazon!) But it sounds like she was just venting at you, and you worked to make it right, which means you are very kind and consciencious. :)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline TravelingTwinkler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • ~ to travel is to live ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2018, 07:54:38 PM »
She messaged me back today and is very unhappy because she had to spend an hour and a half on  phone with USPS to get her package and rightfully chastened me that I should have printed it out if my handwriting is that bad. I apologized again (no jokes this time!) and refunded her the shipping.

Is there anything else I should do? I feel badly; I've had to call USPS  before and it's not fun.

Also has anyone ever had a package not be delivered because the person's name was misspelled/not legible?

Chastened you? Oh NOPE. Of all the flavors in this world, this woman chooses salty? I am so very sorry someone decided to bring down thunder and brimstone over an honest mistake. You gave her the best customer service possible by refunding her the shipping but that's it. Your quest for the golden fleece ends right there.

USPS shouldn't have a problem with a misspelled name, but a misspelled address with transposed numbers could cause delivery issues. Definitely print labels for the future to avoid confusion.

In closing, you're awesome.  :heart:

—mari
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

{ formerly know as OGTwinkler }

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal