collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Its about the destination, not the journey.

I'm a living, breathing GPS
14 (29.2%)
Its average
12 (25%)
I can't find my way out of a paper bag
13 (27.1%)
Somewhere between average and terrible
9 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: How is your sense of direction?  (Read 5285 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
How is your sense of direction?
« on: August 24, 2018, 08:36:12 AM »
Pretty bad. I've been learning to navigate a map, but I can still get turned around and confused.  I do better with clear, dependable landmarks, then written directions that say, turn left, go down highway etc.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:45:25 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: How is your sense of direction?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 08:42:12 AM »
I walk fast, so I might be below-average but I cover enough ground to find things about as fast as average people do.  ;)
I do absolutely rely on google maps when I'm driving somewhere unfamiliar because I cannot memorize street names for the life of me, but when I need to walk somewhere I'm fine. I memorize store layouts quite quickly so I know my grocery store extremely well, as well as the Target. It's helpful when people ask for obscure-ish items and I have a general idea of where they should be.
If I've been paying attention for the bulk of a trip, I can generally know "this thing must be over here because we didn't pass it on the way".
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 08:52:01 AM »
I rely on landmarks/reference points somewhat. I’ve turned down the wrong hallway at work several times and then have to backtrack to the correct one.
I got lost walking home once because I didn’t go the way I usually do. I eventually found my way back but it took a while to figure out how to get home.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 09:23:17 AM »
I've gotten lost on my way home a few times too.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 09:50:38 AM »
Give me a map and I can't read it. When I was in Canto in Northampton I had to be brought home because it was almost dark. The one in charge drove me home, and I didn't know my way home, but when we got to the road that leads to Stanick I knew my way from there to my home.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Kiwichi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 10:22:12 AM »
Lol.  Funny question/poll.

I'm horrible... I don't mind making endless u-turns as needed bc I missed my turn/exit...  had the gps on & panicked & took the wrong exit at the fork... or for some odd reason didn't follow gps... decided not to listen to gps... questioning if the gps is correct....

I hate driving.  I'm the u-turn queen :accomplished:

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »
I can read maps and I'm lucky to live in Colorado where we have a very clear landmark (mountains are west). However, if I'm going somewhere new, I always leave at least 20 minutes early because I will never find the place otherwise.

Don't ask me for directions, however. I can follow them, but I can never for the life of me remember street names. Once I've been to a place a few times, I can remember landmarks while passing them but never while trying to dictate how I get there.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 10:44:49 AM »
maps are a favorite thing of mine.  i am a visual learner so once I have seen the area, I can figure it out in my head.  Google Street View is a godsend, I tell ya....
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 10:52:22 AM »
I aced orienteering at school. I have trouble getting lost, to be honest. I always notice landmarks and houses and directions, even if I try not to.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 10:53:30 AM »
maps are a favorite thing of mine.  i am a visual learner so once I have seen the area, I can figure it out in my head.  Google Street View is a godsend, I tell ya....

YES to Google Street View! Love that thing!

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 11:10:13 AM »
My spatial reasoning and memory are my strongest attributes, so reading maps and memorizing routes is quite easy for me. I rarely get lost even when traveling in Japan, the first handful of times I went there I had no data so I relied on maps and remembering the ways I went before. As well I can find my way back reverse on a route without using a map or GPS.

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 11:33:05 AM »
Terrible for the most part. I'm utterly horrendous at reading maps but if I walk around a place enough times, I can memorise the layout of streets and how they all link together. I'm terrible at giving directions, even to familiar places, and if someone gives me directions, they'll be lost on me. When it comes to finding an unfamiliar place, I write down as much detail as possible and hope for the best - it's the luck of a the draw as to whether or not I actually find the place I need to be! :drunk:

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 11:42:21 AM »
Somewhere between average and terrible!!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 12:09:45 PM »
Nonexistent.

A lot of people get a bit lost but in my case it's something to do with the way my brain is wired and signals transmit. I can't sequence anything so I can't remember recipes, I can't remember routes, I can't remember practical tasks, etc. I also can't read maps because I can't transfer them from 2d flat to real street format (did you guys ever notice that in real life roads aren't, like, red and green and yellow like they are on maps? :P)

Possibly the biggest issue I have is with orientation, though. My friend and I have a standing joke between us now because of our trip to Paris last October when I managed to walk from one metro station to another while trying to find a different entrance she was waiting at which was apparently only 200m or so from where I began. Interesting times.

I have a really good memory for some things and then no recall for others. So I remember places like snapshots...for example, if someone gave you a pile of postcards of places, that's how I remember things. But I can't remember often how they connect together. I try and remember land marks in order but if they change or if it's night or snowy then it's hopeless. Sometimes I totally lose my bearings even on familiar routes and on buses I navigate by stop announcements (ditto trains). In London when I lose my bearings or am lost, I look for a bus stop and look for a bus I know because I know the routes of several in terms of a list of places they go. So then if I follow the bus for a bit I can sometimes find my way. Or I will catch a bus to a stop I know and catch a bus home.

My navigation is so impaired that it's recognised as a severe mobility-related disability component by the govt. Which entitles me to a bus pass and a railcard, but essentially there's little chance of me ever being safe to drive. For obvious reasons, since I can't follow directions or understand instructions about route from a GPS device either.

So yeah. Nonexistent...

It makes it interesting when I relocate to a new location (as I am doing next week) because I will doubtless spend a lot of time getting lost before I figure out which buses get me to which places most effectively...

Getting lost a lot does mean you get a lot of exercise, though. And sometimes you find unexpected things you wouldn't find otherwise :D

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:12:22 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 02:00:21 PM »
I get turned around pretty easily.   :blush:   

Smart phones have saved me so much time in this regard, when I bother to listen to them.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal