collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Its about the destination, not the journey.

I'm a living, breathing GPS
14 (29.2%)
Its average
12 (25%)
I can't find my way out of a paper bag
13 (27.1%)
Somewhere between average and terrible
9 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: How is your sense of direction?  (Read 5304 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: How is your sense of direction?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2018, 05:52:46 PM »
Mine is kinda weird, I guess? I have a great homing instinct and if I'm familiar with point A and point B, I can get there... I just can't tell you how :P

I can't give directions or read maps very well and I really can't follow verbal directions either, but if I know where I am I know where I am and can find my way somewhere else - if that makes any sense at all, lol. Even if I don't know where I am my homing instinct will bring me to somewhere familiar eventually.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2018, 06:30:14 PM »
I'm not sure if I'd call myself a GPS, but I'd say above average. I like knowing alternate routes in case of unexpected detours/bad traffic. Once I got somewhere once (or maybe twice), it's pretty ingrained in my brain. And gradually with other travel I'll get a picture of the larger area and how things connect together.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2018, 11:26:22 PM »
I can do pretty well, and I trust a paper map over an electronic one. When I have to use the later I go with my gut if the directions seem dodgy. That said when it comes to giving directions because I take public transit. My familiarity is based on landmarks instead of streets :P So I'm not always the most accurate for the fastest route or one that might be closer to the person asking (usually in a vehicle).

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 07:22:39 AM »
This is making me feel better with so many of you not being good at directions!  I'm TERRIBLE!  Been living in the same area for 25 years and I still can't remember the street names (although, I have got the cardinal direction down!).  Everyone knows not to ask me for directions because I can just give landmarks and not the actual intersection.  It's really kind of embarrassing to be an adult and not be able to read a map on the spot- I need time to study it beforehand- or have to have detailed instructions on how to get somewhere.  But, my brain just does not process that stuff.  I have a hard time translating an overhead view of a map to the streets I'm driving.  I HATE highways with lots of signs and exits.  I get so stressed and confused!   

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 07:34:55 AM »
@Aadra - my navigational soulmate!

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 07:45:47 PM »
I have southern navigation skills. (Drive past the big tree, go to the stop sign, turn left, drive till you see the blue house with the cows and then take the right at the fork).

I do okay getting around, I'm fairly good with maps but weirdly I need them turned in the direction we're going if I'm designated navigator...so If I'm using a map at some point it might be upside down.

I still can get turned around though but I do okay even if I get lost I will find a way out, but at this point I've come to depend a lot on GPS. And sometimes I like to be a jerk to the GPS and take a different path.

Before GPS existed, myself and my mom would end up on adventures and her saying was We don't get lost, we get misplaced. And our thing was, even when we didn't know where we were we would always find something new.

I also don't mind driving. Since I live in a town with practically no shopping, If I want to do something I have to be willing to get in a car and drive. So i actually like driving, except in places like Washington DC, which is the devil to drive in. I'll do it, but I don't like it that much because city folks drive craycray.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 07:56:10 PM »
It's absolutely garbage.

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2018, 02:08:32 AM »
My sense of direction is very good and I have always been able to read maps even as a small child (would actually prefer a map to a set of instructions).

Interestingly, as I live in a very rural area, I can find my way round strange cities/towns almost better than in the country. It's very odd.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 04:18:02 PM »
I generally have a good sense of direction. I look at maps all day at work.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 09:22:04 PM »
I have a hard time getting lost.
It's weird, but I have spatial maps/memories of places I've only been once, many of them decades ago.  Not every place, but a lot of them.  Still rubbish at giving directions because I don't navigate by street names, I just ... go where I need to be?  GPS's annoy me, I'd rather have a paper map and a compass.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2018, 09:52:08 PM »
     I can find my way to somewhere and back. It’s just remembering the exact route. I’ll get ya back to the beginning, it just might take a detour or two.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline SnorkMaiden

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+37)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2018, 12:08:10 PM »
I'm pretty good. I mostly navigate by landmarks, rather than by road name, which sometimes makes it hard to give directions to others. On the plus side, friends I'm with can usually rely on me to get us where we want to go.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2018, 02:52:34 PM »
I can get around averagely well using a map and visible landmarks etc but if I'm trying to find something down a small side road it can be tricky, i usually need to Here We Go it first. I don't have a Sat. Nav or app on my phone I just snap a picture of the map from my computer screen. When I did have a sat. Nav. It was very handy but boring :-) I have a poor sense of direction so try to navigate by the sun and time of day as a last resort if no land marks. I fund buildings really tricky. Service stations etc I find horrible!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »
Im back in China again. Its not so much that I can't find things, Its more that people don;t give me good directions in English.
I need directions that say go straight 4 blocks then turn right NOT go east on Mishui Lu for 3 KM, then turn left and go south on Linqun diaje.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2018, 03:29:38 PM »
I don't understand why people use north, south, east and west when giving directions. I'm not a compass...

When I was in Japan in particular, I encountered that a lot too ><
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal