collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro is on a real 80s / G1 kick on Facebook this year, anyone noticed?  (Read 14442 times)

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro is on a real 80s / G1 kick on Facebook this year, anyone noticed?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 10:10:15 AM »
I would have pined over that lunchbox as a kid.

It might just be me, but when I was a kid it was kind of the cusp of changing from metal to plastic lunchboxes. And I just didn't like the plastic lunchboxes as much because they were completely flat (most of the lunchboxes I had were dimensional) and they felt way cheaper.

This would have been an awesome compromise.

Because this is just OK in my opinion.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ohhhh ahhhh I had that lunchbox as a kid! came with a thermos too.

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 10:17:21 AM »
I would have pined over that lunchbox as a kid.

It might just be me, but when I was a kid it was kind of the cusp of changing from metal to plastic lunchboxes. And I just didn't like the plastic lunchboxes as much because they were completely flat (most of the lunchboxes I had were dimensional) and they felt way cheaper.

This would have been an awesome compromise.

Because this is just OK in my opinion.

ohhhh ahhhh I had that lunchbox as a kid! came with a thermos too.

Did you notice it's the same design as the one originally posted by the OP of this thread :)  Which means you need it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:20:39 AM by flutterscotch »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 11:14:58 AM »
Rainbow Magic's wings are missing o.O.

I was going to make a cynical comment about the choice of image because one of the Fluttershys looks a lot like Rainbow Magic, but missing off the wings in the playdoh version isn't a great way of doing that.

As a kid, I would have probably had a monumental grudge against Hasbro for missing her wings off xD. Rainbow Magic was super special to me back then :)

On another note, if Hasbro want to cater to G1 fans, maybe do more to support Basic Fun instead of telling everyone that they basically have nothing to do with the retros. And maybe also ditch the mane 6 core pony squad idea and get back to actual creative different ideas and themes centred on a toyline...?

I'm not bothered about them remaking G1 or even making ponies that look like G1 ever again, if they don't want to. But at least give the kids the chance to choose more and imagine more, rather than telling them a fixed story and only selling them the characters from that story.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Magicharp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Playing music on my harp named Grover!
    • View Profile
    • The Punisher's Harp
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 12:13:20 PM »
That's cute.
"One Batch. Two Batch. Penny and Dime." - Frank Castle

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 05:40:42 PM »
Great to see all the G1 love going on, I was at the right age to have had a metal lunch box. Then they were banned and I had to switch to plastic. Plastic just dosen't have the detail and amount of illustrations as metal. Am thrilled to see the recent crop of retro ones, that Starshine one is fantastic.

Actually, all of that line from Lounge Fly is awesome, just wish I could find it easier.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 06:41:22 PM »
It's so nice to see this from Hasbro! I wonder if it'll pique the curiousity of some FiM fans, maybe spread the G1 pony love! Always wonderful to see more new collectors becoming interested.
i saw some people on the photo asking why they were posting this 'garbage'. cue angry people lol.

I think its neat that they're showing the older ponies
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 07:13:42 PM »
That is so cool! :)

Offline toyjunky

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 08:01:02 PM »

I had both metal lunchboxes as a younger child and plastic ones later on. I still have some of the metal ones (I wish I still had the metal tv trays). Downside of the metal ones is that they don't survive as nicely as the plastic ones did overtime (or at least mine anyways). My plastic ones are basically fine (with expected wear from carrying them to school everyday), but the metal ones have rust in a bunch of places and scratched off paint.

That Play-doh MLP lunchbox is adorable.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:03:01 PM by toyjunky »

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 09:34:17 PM »

I had both metal lunchboxes as a younger child and plastic ones later on. I still have some of the metal ones (I wish I still had the metal tv trays). Downside of the metal ones is that they don't survive as nicely as the plastic ones did overtime (or at least mine anyways). My plastic ones are basically fine (with expected wear from carrying them to school everyday), but the metal ones have rust in a bunch of places and scratched off paint.

That Play-doh MLP lunchbox is adorable.

I just always had an issue with the stickers on the plastic one immediately getting wet and then peeling off the corners, and driving me insane.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 03:27:49 AM »
I had a plastic lunchbox as a kid with Love Melody and maybe Dancing Butterflies on it. It was pink and it still has its image on it now. I use it to store small merch frrom my childhood, like hairclips and pens and stuff. In the UK ones, produced by Bluebird I think? They didn't use a paper label but a decal. Of course, you could scratch those off...I had a couple of flasks that have been a little...scratched...but the main decal on my lunchbox is still good.

I never saw metal lunchboxes here for MLP or even any toy when I was a kid. But I feel like Bluebird at the time really had a monopoly on kids' lunchboxes, since they did a lot of popular characters.

Yep, here it is, with some of its friends picked up from carboot sales. The images have lasted really well since the TAF one is about 1988 and the other even older. And they obviously got wet a lot...

Also, LOL at the angry bronies. :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 08:52:10 AM »
Not to steal the FiM meme but... Haters Gonna Hate!  :-p
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 09:12:48 AM »
I had a plastic lunchbox as a kid with Love Melody and maybe Dancing Butterflies on it. It was pink and it still has its image on it now. I use it to store small merch frrom my childhood, like hairclips and pens and stuff. In the UK ones, produced by Bluebird I think? They didn't use a paper label but a decal. Of course, you could scratch those off...I had a couple of flasks that have been a little...scratched...but the main decal on my lunchbox is still good.

I never saw metal lunchboxes here for MLP or even any toy when I was a kid. But I feel like Bluebird at the time really had a monopoly on kids' lunchboxes, since they did a lot of popular characters.

Yep, here it is, with some of its friends picked up from carboot sales. The images have lasted really well since the TAF one is about 1988 and the other even older. And they obviously got wet a lot...

Also, LOL at the angry bronies. :)

There were no metal MLP lunchboxes anywhere as far as I can tell. Those decals would have been better to the plastic coated paper stickers we got.  I had to walk to school, about a half mile, so the paper sticker ones were usually peeling on me by October no matter how careful I tried to be with the umbrella. It's almost the end of the world when you're 8.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 09:56:01 AM »
There were no 80s metal lunchboxes for MLP as far as I know.  The ones my family had were from the 70s I think?  Scooby Doo, etc.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline lalalei2001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 10:01:11 AM »
I always wanted there to be toys of the 80s villains. I always had to pretend they were invisible XD

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 01:31:39 PM »
There were no 80s metal lunchboxes for MLP as far as I know.  The ones my family had were from the 70s I think?  Scooby Doo, etc.
My first few lunchboxes were metal.  Dark Crystal, Strawberry Shortcake, but then I wanted a MLP one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal