collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Year 3 Curly Hair Ponies?  (Read 278 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Year 3 Curly Hair Ponies?
« on: August 19, 2018, 06:48:10 PM »
I've been a bit confused regarding the curly haired variants. Is there any way to identify them aside from hoping the original curls are still in? And are they worth more than the year 2 ponies?
My Firefly has longer hair than my other ponies in the same pose with a slight curl on the ends. I want to say she's a year 3 one, but I want to make sure!:
Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Just curious, I think it's neat when there's variants in ponies, and I can't find any good pictures to compare.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Year 3 Curly Hair Ponies?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 07:25:13 PM »
Here's a pic of my Firefly.

I also think your Firefly is a Year 3. :) but I have trouble with the long/curly hair vs normal ones since I've never seen a long/curly hair pony in person.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2018, 07:27:22 PM »
She looks year three to me.  Year two Fireflies tend to have hair the exact same length of, say, Bubbles, Moondancer any of the first round of rainbows. It's definitely noticeable when you have two side by side. They're worth about the same, as far as I can tell.  But I don't know how much that is people not knowing it's a variant.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 09:58:18 PM »
You definetely have a Year 3 Firefly. The curly ones do have longer hair, and the straight ones don’t have any curl to them whatsoever. It is fairly easy to see side by side :)

I don’t think there is any price difference- they were both standard releases and several countries did not get the set with straight hair Firefly. The curly one might even be more common because of that - in a worldwide perspective :P
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 01:04:57 AM »
Yeah, that's Y3 Firefly. As Katrine said, curly haired ponies in general have longer hair and the fibre is slightly different if it was originally curly. Though the curl can drop out, it's still identifiable in loose ponies because of that reason. A similar thing happened (in reverse of course) with the 2 releases of Cherries Jubilee in the UK.

I think the year 3 versions of the four ponies (Firefly, Medley, Applejack and Bow Tie) are probably more rare than their original releases just by dint of being re-released. I am guessing from Katrine's post that curly Firefly might be the one sold with the Fable set (?). If so I guess in her case she might be more common in those areas. I am not sure there's a price difference either, because not everyone is interested in getting all variations...but in general I would say the curly haired versions are harder to find.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal