Pony Talk > Pony Corral

Season 8 Episode Molt Down Why Didn't Spike Get Bigger?

(1/1)

Majesty:
So in the season 8 episode "Molt Down" Spike finally starts growing up some with some dragon puberty with his process of getting new wings.  What bothered me is that Spike is still the same size.  I wish they had had him grow up a little bit to show he's actually growing up, because getting wings is only one part of it in my opinion.

What to do you guys think?

tailrustedtealeaf:
My first response is to be, like, "well in season 2 he grew cuz of greed so he'd only grow cuz of greed" but I agree that a bit of a height change would be nice to show he's grown in character. They probably kept him the same size so it's easier on the animators, like the Kirins we're waiting on are using the standard pony model. 

flutterscotch:
I have a deeply cynical answer/suggestion for this...and it's that they didn't want to have to make and rescale a bunch of character models this soon before the show was due to end, and just adding wings was probably easier. They already made a ton this season.

Ponyfan:
I see Spike getting wings as a “first step” to Spike becoming full grown. So he’s not a baby but not an adult dragon yet. I agree that they should have made him a little bigger but probably just decided to add wings to his current form to make it easier.

This brings up one of the isssues I have with FIM. How does time pass in Equestria? It’s been 8 seasons and Pound and Pumpkin Cake are still babies. If each season is supposed to be a year then Pound and Pumpkin should at least going be going to school. Since they’re magical creatures they probably don’t age on the same timeline as humans but I would have like to see the younger characters grow up a little.

Ponyfan

Leave a Whisper:
For the same reason most characters never change clothes, some never age, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version