collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How many pony sets came wtih Mommy/Mummy Charms?  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
How many pony sets came wtih Mommy/Mummy Charms?
« on: August 19, 2018, 03:46:17 PM »
Hi,

I was just wondering how many pony sets came with Mommy/Mummy charms? According to the Wiki the charms only came with certain ponies released in 1987-1988  in the US. I'm not sure on the dates they were released in the UK,  I only have one Mommy Charm (Little Helper) although I vaguely remmber looking at the pamplet and hoping I'd get more.

I don't remember what pony my Mommy Charm came with. It could have been Baby Noddins, Baby Misty, Summer Wing Skydancer, Coco Berry?Chocolate Chip, or Mirror Mirror.

All info is appreciated. :)

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:37:19 AM by Ponyfan »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: How many pony sets came wtih Mommy/Mummy Charms?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 04:08:05 PM »
I believe they were more haphazard in the UK. Somehow I managed as a kid to acquire exactly none of them from new *lol* BUT we did get a couple of Loving Family babies from a clearance store in the mid 1990s and they both have charms.

I think in the US there are certain charms for certain sets/ponies but I don't think it was that organised here. In any case, I can only confirm 100% from my perspective that Loving Family ponies (packaged separately) had them. In my case Baby Brother Apple Delight and Baby Brother Sweet Celebrations. I don't remember which one baby AD had but baby SC is still in package and I think it's Hugs & Kisses? It's pink anyway.

I would pitch that as being 1989-1990 if that helps. Without being at home to check my inserts etc I can't be sure but that makes sense with Loving Family ponies in the UK release.

I know I have "Sticky & Sniffles" with an orange charm in the package and Happytails Tossles with I think True Blue. But those are US packaging.

Don't know if any of that helps you at all?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 06:07:02 AM »
Thanks Taffeta. :) Specific charms for certain sets of ponies in the US explains why I was only able to get one Mommy charm despite having 6 of the ponies that came out during that time. I wish I still had my backcards but if I had to guess I'd say my Little Helper probably came with Mirror Mirror or Watercolor Baby Misty. I'm not sure how accurate the wiki is on years as I just saw a MOC Barnacle that also has a free Mommy Charm but Big Brothers aren't listed on the Wiki as one of the sets

That's really interesting about the UK release of the Mummy charms. :)

Ponyfan

Offline Chrissytree

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+266)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Weebly Pony Sales
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 01:32:25 PM »
I made some notes on ponies I've seen MOC with them:
UK
Loving Family Pony singles

US
Brush 'n Grow
Princess - Set 2
Loving Families
Big Brothers - set 2
Twice as fancy - set 2
Magic Message
Summer Wing
Happy Tails
Newborn Twins - set 2
Peek-A-Boo babies
Watercolour baby sea ponies

I got about 4 with the loving family single ponies and I didn't get a duplicate.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 03:12:13 PM »
I managed to get a full set of mommy charms back then. Don't ask me which came with which pony however. I never kept that info. But I never had to get any later second hand, all mine are original, etc.

So it was possible to get a full set :)

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 08:59:08 PM »
I'm 99.9% sure that the one and only charm I had as a kid (True Blue) came with my Big Top and Toppy. I think they're the first released set of twins (should go research that but feeling epicly lazy right now  :P ) but I think they're also around those year releases. I can tell you they made it to NZ, anyway!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 02:34:57 AM »
I'm 99.9% sure that the one and only charm I had as a kid (True Blue) came with my Big Top and Toppy. I think they're the first released set of twins (should go research that but feeling epicly lazy right now  :P ) but I think they're also around those year releases. I can tell you they made it to NZ, anyway!

Big Top & Toppy are from the 1988 second twin release :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 06:00:25 AM »
Thank you everyone. :)  My Mommy charm probably came with Mirror Mirror or Watercolor Baby Misty or Summer Wing Skydancer   

Congrats Karentheunicorn on getting a full set with your childhood ponies  I wondered how Hasbro thought kids would be able to get a full set. 

I know there was a mail order pamplet to get a bracelet to put the Mommy/Mummy charms but could you order the charms you were missing in that same offer?  I guess the charms were only included with the ponies for a short a time?

Ponyfan

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 02:48:22 PM »

Lol - you're right!!! I always had it in my head they were the first set. Just checked my inventory and it turns out they're the only second set release twins I have, too  :lol: :lol:

I don't know that you could order the charms, Ponyfan, but out of sheer curiosity I'd love to know if that was the case! I have the little plastic chain but not the metal one which I think was the UK release. Taffeta!!!!! Your expertise is needed!!  :lol:

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »

Lol - you're right!!! I always had it in my head they were the first set. Just checked my inventory and it turns out they're the only second set release twins I have, too  :lol: :lol:

I don't know that you could order the charms, Ponyfan, but out of sheer curiosity I'd love to know if that was the case! I have the little plastic chain but not the metal one which I think was the UK release. Taffeta!!!!! Your expertise is needed!!  :lol:

Haha :) Sincere apologies, my expertise fails as I never had the chain for the charms! Chrissytree probably knows though. Metal sounds familiar but I am not really sure if I've even seen the UK release chain in person.

I am better, apparently, with sets of newborn twins xD.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 02:59:03 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Marlin

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 02:58:36 PM »

Haha :) Sincere apologies, my expertise fails as I never had the chain for the charms! Chrissytree probably knows though. Metal sounds familiar but I am not really sure if I've even seen the UK release chain in person.

I am better, apparently, with sets of newborn twins xD.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 04:46:34 PM »

Congrats Karentheunicorn on getting a full set with your childhood ponies  I wondered how Hasbro thought kids would be able to get a full set. 

I can't completely account for how I did it, I know I didn't buy doubles of ponies, I can only account for one time I accidentally bought the same pony and it was a dream beauty.

One possibility is my cousin had some as well since she she also collected for a while, so it's possible she and I could have traded duplicates. However, I don't really remember us trading. Another possibility is I did end up with duplicates but I gave them to my cousin, as we helped each other so that could have happened, but I just don't fully remember.

I think we could 'see' some of the charms inside the package. Don't quote me on that but it's a dim memory of me trying to see which charm was inside the package. So having a pamphlet and being able to guess probably helped me. I do have this vague sense of feeling excited once I found the last one, but I really don't remember at this point which pony or which charm, etc.

I know there was a mail order pamplet to get a bracelet to put the Mommy/Mummy charms but could you order the charms you were missing in that same offer?  I guess the charms were only included with the ponies for a short a time?

I don't think you could order the charms, I still have the main pamphlet, and the bracelet order bit is at the bottom of the mommy charm poster. The bracelet, was a crappy bracelet. seriously. I remember getting it and if I remember rightly the links broke on mine.
For a long time I simply had my mommy charms hanging by a thread across my pony shelves.

The expiration on the mommy charm bracelet form was 1/31/89

But I don't think we could order the charms or at least not that I can remember right now. The only charm that was mail order was the one that came with sweet scoops.

Post Merge: August 21, 2018, 04:58:01 PM

I took Photos of the pamphlet, and I also took a photo of the fact that it is Mommy or Mummy on the pamphlets as I own both examples

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:58:01 PM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 07:11:33 PM »
I'd love to see the UK Mummy Charms bracelet if anyone has a pic.  :) Thanks for the pamphlet pictures Karentheunicorn   

Ponyfan

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 04:28:21 AM »
Our pamphlet/the comic advert always said Mummy by default as that's the spelling most commonly used here. According to my site records they were advertised in comic 92 but it's not something I have a scan for. That would put the advertising here in around 1989...which is consistent with Loving Family Ponies.

I have this strong sense that you could send off for charms here. But I may be wrong as I never did it. The only charm I ever had as a kid was Funny Face and I got her in a second hand Show Stable at Christmas 1990, along with a beat up Princess Aquamarine. So no idea what pony she originally came with, just that they were definitely out here prior to autumn 1990 when my mother acquired that stable. 1989 seems a pretty good bet all round.

Looking at Uni;s scan, I think Tiny Tumbler is the charm I have inside the package of "Sticky & Sniffles".

Also I am an idiot. I should check my own resources before saying I don't know something xD.

Apparently I do. The image is property of LadyG which she sent me for use on my site, and in the notes I mention it is metal, rather than plastic.
http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/mummycharms.htm

Sorry. It's been a long few weeks...I had forgotten that they were on my site as I have them a little way beneath the main listing under 1989.

My notes also suggest they were contained inside Princess Brush & Grow packages here. But I am not able to prove that at the moment. Princess B&G in UK boxes are extremely rare and I have only seen my own Star Gleamer (who has no charm) and maybe a couple of others. I also had Star Gleamer from new with no charm, though. So that information may be subject to further clarification.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:33:37 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 06:35:45 AM »
Thanks Taffeta. :) I think it's interesting that the US got a plastic bracelet for the charms and the UK got a metal one. 

I'm wondeirng if there were only a certain amount of ponies that got the charms included in the package. So maybe out of 100 Mirror Mirror ponies only half got charms?

I just saw some MOC water color baby sea ponies but the seller states that someone opened them just to remove the pony charm. :sad:

Ponyfan

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:43:42 AM by Ponyfan »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal