collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Prototype ponies you wished made it in to mass production  (Read 31266 times)

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
Re: Prototype ponies you wished made it in to mass production
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2018, 06:58:34 AM »
Hi,

I've been watching a lot of the MLP commercials lately and a lot of them feature prototype ponies that were changed by the time they mass produced. 
The Brush and Grow Princess ponies feature a different pose Star Gleamer 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjjOtweYTxU 

What prototype ponies would you have liked to see mass produced? I think Baby Truly would have been a big seller.
Ponyfan

I'm sorry, I know the thread has moved beyond that first commercial clip, but are we SERIOUSLY not going to talk about how disturbing it is that they have the ponies wearing nail polish as though they had humanoid toes?  No-one else is bothered by this?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It would be like their legs ending with a human hand instead of a hoof.  They'd scuttle like crabs. 

::shudder::

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2018, 07:12:17 AM »
Wow, I love that prototype TAF photo. :) I wonder why they decided to change poses?

I did notice the little girls putting makeup on the ponies toes in the Brush and Grow commercial but I thought it was advertising pony make up. I think they do something similar in the commercial for the playset that came with TAF Fifi.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2018, 07:40:22 AM »
Thanks for the history! I don't think Munchy is white, she looks cream to me especially compared to the other white materials in the photo :)

In the commercial for Fifi it showed the kids putting specifically the blue eyeshadow on her eyelids from the compact that came with the set. I've found a couple with the blue eyelids because of that :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2018, 07:50:14 AM »
I'm sorry, I know the thread has moved beyond that first commercial clip, but are we SERIOUSLY not going to talk about how disturbing it is that they have the ponies wearing nail polish as though they had humanoid toes?  No-one else is bothered by this?

Oh dear, that makes her look like she has elephant feet! :haha:

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2018, 07:57:13 AM »
The other commercial that shows little girls painting nail polish on pony hooves is the one for the Poof n Perfume palace.

Screenshots from the commercial

I don't know how simular this is to the free pony makeup that came with some ponies in the US but my childhood Twinkler still has lipstick stains.

Ponyfan

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2018, 09:22:56 AM »
I always thought of it as elephant feet paint as well. As a kid..I am trying to remember where I saw it, whether it's on Star Gleamer's box (because that set came with nail polish here as default). I don't remember...it might be the Perfume Puff Palace box that I remember it from. Squeezer in Gingerbread's pose...? That seems familiar.

Edit: Yep. Small image but you can see it:

Mine wore the nail polish but I used to sweep it across the hooves in one brush stroke. It wasn't neat but somehow a bit more natural given horse biology!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2018, 09:48:26 AM »
This is the Nightglider I meant:

Thanks for posting this photo! I've only seen very small images of those polaroids displayed by Ruth Bush, and I really wanted to see them up close. If there are any more higher resolution photos showing prototypes (like the baby flutters and the picnic gift set) I'd love to see them! :biggrin:

Wow, I love that prototype TAF photo. :) I wonder why they decided to change poses?

I'm thinking they might have used year 5 poses as placeholders to test out the new designs. Perhaps the original plan was to create new poses for year 6, but then instead they decided to reuse ones from previous years. Since it had been a few years since those old poses were used, I guess Hasbro might have thought that would make them feel more "new" than if they had only reused poses from year 5. In the end Munchy was the only one in the set who was in a year 5 pose.

NBBE Baby Sundance is a pony I really wish existed. As well as Paradise without flocking to go with PE (but I could always get a deflock or a Brazilian one, so she doesn't feel quite as unobtainable). Would also have liked to see the furbobs made and paired with the second set of Princess Ponies. Even though they are pretty unbearable in the cartoon, they would have been a fun addition.

I would agree that the Fancy Swirls are probably the most interesting of all the unused pony concepts, but it's hard to say how great they would have looked if actually produced. Of course the packaging art always makes ponies look gorgeous, but there sure was a lot of potential for these.

And yeah, prototype Sprinkles is definitely better than the produced one. If they make a retro one, even if they don't make it just like the old prototype, I still hope they give her a more attractive and vibrant color than what we got back then.

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2018, 09:52:45 AM »
Oh dear, that makes her look like she has elephant feet! :haha:

Hehe!  :lol:  I did also think of elephant feet initially!  But then I think about everything I ever learned about horse foot anatomy and realised that a horse's hoof is simply one large toe... so really they should be painting the whole hoof!

Remember how there were early Year 2 ponies who actually had lines where their hooves clearly ended?  That makes a lot more sense if you're going to paint hooves.  Although I need to state here for the record that I am very glad they didn't officially encourage children to do so!

« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 09:59:39 AM by starstrider »

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2018, 02:20:16 PM »
Glad I could share something interesting! :)

It took me a whole three minutes to realise that was Buttons, not Mimic.

I'm honestly so glad that Buttons isn't in that pose. Can you imagine all the poor Buttonses that would have been sacrificed to become DIY Mimics by over-enthusiastic customisers?

Where is that picture from? It's awesome :)
Whoa- any backhistory on the Buttons/Bonnie/Glider photo?! Gah, I want all three!

It's a picture of a very old Polaroid from the collection of the lovely and talented Ruth Bush. Way back when, before everyone had email, Slack, and a camera in their pocket, the quickest way for Hasbro's employees to communicate about their designs was to take Polaroids and physically send a picture to whomever needed it. (Sorry about the image quality, but I hope it's understandable why it can't be helped!)

You can just barely see Munchy out of frame in the lower right. I think she's in a different pose as well, but I can't be sure which it is. In contrast, the Big Brother ponies in the background seem ready for production, right down to their accessories, but maybe a male-pony expert can spot some subtle differences.

Speaking of Big Brothers, the pony that became Slugger was initially going to have a wagon symbol. I'm not a fan of baseball -- and how does a pony use a glove?! -- so I would have much preferred that. No picture of that one, though, I think he didn't even get past the spitballing stage of design!

Thank you for the history lesson!

I wonder if any of the TAF prototypes survived.... Maybe in a former Hasbro employee's attic. Wishful thinking, I'm sure. Sigh.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
Those TAF ponies are lovely! I love buttons in the mimic pose! Does Ruth own these still?
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2018, 06:32:28 AM »
Baby Flutter ponies would've been amazing.  When I was a kid, I would pretend that the Summer Wing ponies were baby Flutter ponies.  I would've been SO excited if there'd been actual baby Flutters!

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2018, 10:04:42 AM »
Baby Flutter ponies would've been amazing.  When I was a kid, I would pretend that the Summer Wing ponies were baby Flutter ponies.  I would've been SO excited if there'd been actual baby Flutters!

It's funny you should say that, because that's exactly what happened with the Baby Flutters concept -- they were retooled into the Summerwings! You can really see the resemblance in the prototypes:

The initial design called for very fancy filigree wings, but beautiful as they are, Hasbro wisely nixed that idea. ^^; I don't imagine there would be one with intact wings outside of its box!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2018, 10:41:19 AM »

Randomly going back to this a moment, but that's the nail polish that was sold with this set in the UK release. That nail polish never came out in the US, right? Is this a US commercial? It is, right? What happened there? Were they going to release the US set with the nail polish like they did the UK, and then changed it up to have random free make up in pony sets instead? Mind is boggling O.o.

Back on topic, I am actually kind of happy to see the baby flutters became the wingers. It sort of closes a gap in the design process for me. It makes sense that the starting point for wingers would be baby flutters, but it also makes sense to move away from the delicate dragonfly wings to something more sturdy. Most wingers will survive in a box of ponies with no packaging, which means they're a lot more kid proof than the flutters.

I still love the Flutters more, but they were heartbreaking for kids.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Motion-Paradox

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »
Not a pony per say, but I'd love to see the Flutter Pony Playset we saw the prototypes for a while back, I'm normally a bit nutural for playsets, but I really like the Flutter Ponies

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2018, 11:14:39 AM »
Those baby flutters are really cute. :lovey: but I bet the wings would have been really delicate on them.

Taffeta, I couldn't find the US commercial on YouTube so this one might be the UK one. :)

I wish I'd kept my US makeup pamphlet but I did find it on the Wiki. I just noticed that one of the ponies advertised in the makeup pamplet is Glittering Gem. :wow:

http://www.mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Makeup-pamphlet3.jpg 

http://www.mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Makeup-pamphlet2.jpg

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal