collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: 35th anniv. Bubbles?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
Re: 35th anniv. Bubbles?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 04:02:54 AM »
We need to stop giving flutterscotch ideas...at this rate her home is going to become a frankenpony lab!

I don't really want Bubbles and Seashell that much. I mean if they happen I am not going to mind but I don't like the pose and never did. Y2 might also have been the biggest year in the US but in other places it was still getting going at that point. I think the y3 set is more globally iconic but I just want a Cherries Jubilee I guess.

Also more hopeful of y3 uni and peg set and year 3 rainbows but I suppose they could rerelease CC and Blossom alongside 4 new and then release a gift pack...

I dont really know what i want but off the top of my head, Id actually like to see them make all the g4 ponies into g1 ponies.

I'm getting baity G1 Ponies and turning them into G4 characters plus baby versions of some of them (like Moondancer and Baby Moondancer)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 06:53:04 AM »
Are Tootsie and Cherries Jubilee really any more popular than Bubbles and Seashell, though?

Maybe they'll do a combo set . . . Bubbles, Seashell, Applejack, Bow Tie, Lickety-Split, and Posey.

If they do Applejack and Bow Tie it'll be interesting to see if they go for straight hair or curly hair.  I'm a fan of straight hair myself.  Also, which body shade for Bow Tie . . . I've seen darker blue and lighter blue versions of her.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 07:01:47 AM »
Are Tootsie and Cherries Jubilee really any more popular than Bubbles and Seashell, though?

Maybe they'll do a combo set . . . Bubbles, Seashell, Applejack, Bow Tie, Lickety-Split, and Posey.

If they do Applejack and Bow Tie it'll be interesting to see if they go for straight hair or curly hair.  I'm a fan of straight hair myself.  Also, which body shade for Bow Tie . . . I've seen darker blue and lighter blue versions of her.

It depends if you are looking at MLP from a US perspective only or a global one. I would definitely say in a UK sense the 1985 set as a whole is more well known and widespread than the 1984 one, although we had both. And there was the song tape, and the comic began in 1985 as well...

Bubbles and Seashell are not as common as the rest of their set or the other set. Cherries Jubilee is easily as common here as Lickety Split and Posey, though. And all three are much more common than Bubbles and Seashell. Cherries Jubilee also had 2 releases here, and she also had at least 2 in most of Europe as well. So did Posey...Lickety Split did too in some other countries, and then white Tootsie...

Bubbles and Seashell did not. Not even in the sets we had that were different from the US. Not even at a later point. Not at all. We had our own versions of Bow Tie and AJ and two poses, and we had both FF and CF Blossom and Cotton Candy. But we had one release of Seashell and Bubbles and then they vanished and that was that.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:04:26 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 09:50:50 AM »
We need to stop giving flutterscotch ideas...at this rate her home is going to become a frankenpony lab!

It has been for many years.  I used to have a bin called "Parts, the Ponus Horror" in my cabinet.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 10:27:29 AM »

There are 2 versions of Bowtie?

Post Merge: August 17, 2018, 10:27:42 AM

It has been for many years.  I used to have a bin called "Parts, the Ponus Horror" in my cabinet.

:lol:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 10:56:44 AM »

Eeks, too late!
I am sure there are ponies you've traded away that take tales of horror to their new homes ;)

@LAW - the US had straight hair Bow Tie in y2 and curly hair Bow Tie in y3, both in shy pose. UK and Europe had the y2 shy pose one in 1984 and then the collector pose one with curly hair in 1985.

The light and dark body thing seems to be batch..? Mostly the darker bodies seem to show up on y2 Bow Ties...y3 Bow Ties are generally the lighter blue which I think (don't quote me, I can't check right now!) more closely matches the shade used for Baby Bow Tie...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 12:51:53 PM »
Cherries Jubilee has stood out more in my mind since I showed my sisters the song. They think it's so funny and it gets stuck in my head all the time.
I am honestly surprised they didn't release AJ or Bowtie this round, both of them are pretty important early characters. They've got the mold for the shy pose!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »
Cherries Jubilee has stood out more in my mind since I showed my sisters the song. They think it's so funny and it gets stuck in my head all the time.
I am honestly surprised they didn't release AJ or Bowtie this round, both of them are pretty important early characters. They've got the mold for the shy pose!

In our family, the recognised response to counting as far as 3 is always "Cherries Jubilee." Even from my Dad.
My poor parents had to listen to that tape so much when I was a kid xD. I guess that set really stands out to me because of that. I consider Bow Tie and AJ with that set even though they came before, because they have songs too :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 01:09:13 PM »

The light and dark body thing seems to be batch..? Mostly the darker bodies seem to show up on y2 Bow Ties...y3 Bow Ties are generally the lighter blue which I think (don't quote me, I can't check right now!) more closely matches the shade used for Baby Bow Tie...

I have found this true of almost all of the ponies that I've seen from that wave.  Firefly, Medley, Applejack and Bow Tie all seemed to be slightly lighter in the curly-haired release. Firefly...not really lighter, more like slightly pinker?  This was also true of both my Fireflies as a child, and my "childhood inherited" Applejack (she was my cousin's and as a kid we puzzled over why our two Applejacks looked different) which is why I'd just always looked for it.

It's realllly subtle though.  Barely shows up in photos, to the point that even the head/body mismatch of baby AJ there isn't as noticeable in these photos.  But she is closer to the curly AJ than either the straight haired AJ or the CP AJ.

Spoiler
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 01:30:54 PM by flutterscotch »

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 08:22:35 PM »
But I wonder how long they will continue to rerelease ponies, until people are fed up? I mean, there are only so many collectors that will get them all, and if they keep rereleasing people will probably stop buying. At least from a collector point of view. ( I dont know how popular they are amoungst children, if they keep releasing them because of them)
I mean, many collectors buys whole sets at the beginning, but if releasing 10-15 sets with ponies that looks just like they did back then, most will probably end up just buying one or two they really like, instead of recollecting sets they might already have.

This is based on the theory that a lot of people have them though. I'm sure there are many people with larger scale collections who do, which is fine. Maybe they have childhood ones or have bought them over the years. For those in that other category (myself included) this is an opportunity to have ponies that I never had as a child, and for some like Firefly for instance, always wanted.

Personally speaking, of the 19 ponies that have been released so far in the retro sets, I had only one of them as a child and that was Skydancer who was my very first MLP. In total from my childhood I have 17 G1's. So for me, I am more than happy (excited to be honest) to buy every pony set that they release to us (a scary thought for my wallet though). Yes, that even includes duplicates as I did buy a 35th Skydancer. Don't discount the pull for some collectors to have one mint in the box on display next to a G1 pony (although I already opened mine so there goes that). I do appreciate them putting them in nice easy to re-box packages though.

Then for those with kids of their own or other family members there is the aspect of being able to buy them their own brand new G1 style ponies. I am considering buying my niece (she is 6) a Pretty Parlor for Christmas, or maybe a few of the ponies if my parents (her grandparents) want to get the parlor as part of their gift. She has already been being given the Hallmark ornaments each year since they started to come out. Currently the only pony toys she has is G4.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 08:36:40 PM »
It's true that not all collectors (and not all non-collectors) will get every single pony Basic Fun makes but . . . so what?  How many kids got every single pony in the 80s?  Not me, LOL!  You don't need to sell one of every pony to every person to make a profit.

Basic Fun has to appeal to kids and non-collecting parents as well as G1 MLP collectors to make a profit.  Because to be blunt we are a small group compared to collectors of Transformers, G.I. Joe, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.

BUT.  Even though we're a small group of collectors, there are millions of moms (and some dads) who are not collectors who do remember playing with MLP as a kid.  If they see their favorite childhood pony at Target, there's a good chance they'll buy that pony for their child.  This is basically why retro Strawberry Shortcake did so well (selling BETTER than the modern SSC who was available at the same time).

Getting back on topic to Bubbles . . . she and Seashell are some of the most unique ponies and I definitely hope they are reproduced.  I begged and begged for Bubbles as a child but sadly it was not meant to be.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2018, 10:02:29 PM »
My sister's also in that category of not having had a lot of the retros produced so far. She was born in 87 and most of them she never had even second hand over the years. Cotton Candy and Starshine she had for sure but not many of the others. She now has Skydancer and Sunlight who she's never had before in any form, and I'm pretty sure the only Bluebelle she ever had prior to this release was the Macau one.

And the UK didn't get the third unicorn and pegasus set at all, so if they get here, only people who have imported them from somewhere will have any of them, let alone all of them. I realise that set is common in the US, but it's really not in all places. I've never found a Medley here of any type or description, and I have looked for a long time. Having the opportunity to buy one from new would be amazing :) Even though I have the old ones now in my collection.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2018, 12:09:06 AM »
I also only have a few of the G1 ponies that Basic Fun has made retro ponies of. My only childhood Collector Pony is Cotton Candy. I also had Starshine and Moonstone from the Rainbows and Medley from the unicorn and pegasus set. When I began collectiong ponies as an adult I added Moondancer (from a garage sale and not in the best condition) Firefly, and Twilight the unicorn.

I loved the Strawberry Shortcake cartoons/storybooks when I was  growing up but for some reason I only had one 80's Lime Chiffon from a garage sale and one of the 90's era Straberry Shortcake dolls.  I was thrilled when I saw Basic Fun's retro Strawberry Shortcake dolls and I had a chance to own Strawberry Shortcake dolls that I wasn't able to get in the past.

I felt that same kind of exicment when I saw the retro ponies on the shelf. :cheer:  It felt like another chance to own ponies I had missed again and a chance to buy G1 style ponies again.

When the Collector Ponies were first hitting the shelves I saw a post on Target's Facebook page from a mom that was thrilled to see the ponies she had as a little girl on the shelves at Target and excited that after telling her daughter she could pick a toy, she chose one of the retro ponies.

I think Bubbles and Seashell should be in included in Basic Fun's retro line along with Applejack and Bowtie. :) 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal