collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I'm considering quitting Paypal - advice? (update pg.3)  (Read 6272 times)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
Re: I'm considering quitting Paypal - advice?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 02:04:16 AM »
I feel as if I've done a terrible job at explaining all of the circumstances of this nightmare  >_<
But then it has been just that, a nightmare.

What's done is done, and as useful as Paypal has been I no longer trust them and would like to find an alternative for international purchases... I would prefer if we cease discussion of the drama that lead to this point, I respectfully acknowledge that not everyone will agree with my opinions and actions and ask that we can discuss alternatives instead if anyone has advice. 

I've been considering Google Pay, but will need to investigate it further. Does anyone have experience with it?
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 04:10:22 AM »
No you explained it fine. It's a really cruddy situation.

You did ask for help with the whole bank/paypal withdrawing funds. Hence my pay it, close it. Don't give it a chance to bite you in the bum later on. I think @lovesbabysquirmy's nightmare is warning enough to just zero out accounts.

Lots of sites take credit card now-- without the use of paypal. So why not use a reloadable visa or something?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:32:47 AM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 10:22:52 AM »
URGH.  Yeah there is an obnoxious difference between services and items when it comes to buyer protection.  Services aren't tangible so they often get the short end of the stick in financial transactions.  Example, did you know that you cannot get a charitable tax credit from a service, only an item?  So you can donate $$$$ to a charity and get a tax receipt, but if you donate your expertise in making a professional birthday cake for a kid through a charity, you CANNOT get the tax receipt?  You could get one for your material costs, but NOT the time/labor portion... A retailer can't get a tax credit for donating a giftcard to their own business, BUT a customer can buy the GC, and get the tax credit because they spent actual $$$$ on it. 

Good to know that I won't ever be using a shipping service if I get back into the Paypal game. 

Mine was extra complicated because Paypal had its own policy regarding backup methods/credit cards in Canada (at the time), so they took from the back-up bank account FIRST instead of the CC.  So I had basically paid for the item twice.   Then they took from the CC, tried to refund the bank account, but because of the currency exchange, the refund was LESS.  On top of that, my bank has its own policies about which transactions are processed in which order. so at like, 12:01 AM, they processed the bigger amount (my Paypal thing), which nearly drained the account and overdrafted it by $0.43, which incurred bank fees!  When I woke up at like 7 AM and was trying to transfer money into my bank account, I found the whole mess and my account in the red.  Even explaining to the bank was no help, they were like, you gave Paypal access, they have policies, so sorry about your luck but YOU overdrafted, now you owe US bank fees. 

I agree, close that account from the bank's end so that Paypal CANNOT reach in there and try to take it. Sure they said they wouldn't, BUT they have the account numbers and the access, and all it takes is a computer error to snatch your cash away :( 

If the amount of money had been smaller in my case, I would have just shrugged, chalked it up to learning and moved on.  But that was SO MUCH money, I didn't ever keep that amount of money in that account (obviously for fraud reasons), just the amounts necessary to do my Paypal business.  Then I had to open another bank account as my primary.  WHAT A MESS. 

The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 01:05:01 PM »
Brightberry, actually all my communication with PayPal has been over the phone not via email.
Oh, that is the worst!  I am really sad they treated you that way.

I have never tried google pay, but I would consider it.  I don't think they would be any better than paypal.  But, as long as they don't want to link up to a bank account, it would be something I'd try.   

lovesbabysquirmy, that sounds like a disaster too.  I don't like banks.  It always seems like they're trying to find ways to take.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 01:07:17 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 02:20:38 AM »
Ah sorry Tulips, I wasn't trying to judge how you handled anything I'm sorry if it came across that way. I was trying to understand your situation better in order to give you good advice. But don't worry, I have no intention of pushing or prying or trying to stress you out more. It's a horrible position to be in, I'm sorry that you are having to deal with it!

I can't give you advice re: Google Pay though as I have only ever used PayPal unfortunately. I hope you get this sorted out with the least amount of stress possible!

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 10:32:27 AM »
Something just occurred to me. If PayPal doesn't cover damage to products by delivery companies, because it's considered a service... Does that mean the GSP is unprotected as well because it's a separate payment to the purchase? Of course, the GSP includes insurance standard, but if the shipping company claims the damage isn't covered by said insurance then would you end up in the same situation as me? 

Just something I've been wondering.
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 12:05:15 PM »
Something just occurred to me. If PayPal doesn't cover damage to products by delivery companies, because it's considered a service... Does that mean the GSP is unprotected as well because it's a separate payment to the purchase? Of course, the GSP includes insurance standard, but if the shipping company claims the damage isn't covered by said insurance then would you end up in the same situation as me? 

Basically, yes.   A number of people have reported that damage due to GSP wasn't covered by Paypal's buyer protection, UNLESS the product was returned.  And since you're in Australia, and postage is INSANE, it's usually not worth the effort to try and return the item.  :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2018, 12:38:53 PM »

Basically, yes.   A number of people have reported that damage due to GSP wasn't covered by Paypal's buyer protection, UNLESS the product was returned.  And since you're in Australia, and postage is INSANE, it's usually not worth the effort to try and return the item.  :(

Eh, it's pretty standard to have to send something back before you get your refund. :/

You don't really want buyers to be able to lie about it, and just get refunds and keep the item.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2018, 10:46:51 PM »
Well in any case it's a lesson about untrustworthy companies learned.
I wish I'd never done it in the first place, should have just paid more than double the price on Amazon Australia.
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 12:16:20 PM »

GSP is just a gathering of badly thought out nightmares from start to finish, though. You have to remember that GSP also doesn't require a delivery signature. I challenged ebay about that the one time my parcel was allegedly signed for by our bush when everyone was out and the person told me the signature didn't matter. BUT it does seem that ebay are liable to refund you in cases of GSP problems, even if paypal are not. So long as it is within the smaller time frame, I guess...

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 04:08:29 PM »
GSP is just a gathering of badly thought out nightmares from start to finish, though.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Well I had a brainwave this morning, I've decided to try exercising my rights under Australian Consumer Law and warned them that I'll be contacting the ACCC and the FOS if they don't sort this out. Our laws state that services are eligible for full refunds under certain conditions, so the fact that they're not honoring the refund my bank provided me sounds like it's against the law? We'll see where this gets me, I've seen some people claim that they received goodwill credit for taking similar action.
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2018, 08:12:27 AM »
I don’t understand why PayPal is saying you owe money? Didn’t you pay for everything already? Or did they refund you and now they want it back??
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2018, 10:00:13 AM »
I don’t understand why PayPal is saying you owe money? Didn’t you pay for everything already? Or did they refund you and now they want it back??

yes that is what is happening to Tulips - Paypal originally decided in her favor and refunded, THEN upon reviewing the case manually, they realized that this was a situation between Tulips and the 3rd party shipping service, which Paypal does NOT cover, so of course they wanted the money back.  :(
The Bad Trader List

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »

yes that is what is happening to Tulips - Paypal originally decided in her favor and refunded, THEN upon reviewing the case manually, they realized that this was a situation between Tulips and the 3rd party shipping service, which Paypal does NOT cover, so of course they wanted the money back.  :(

The issue from there is that Australian Consumer Law states I am still entitled to a refund, despite their policies. Their customer service rep told me to go my bank, which I did and they rightfully gave me my refund. I'm waiting to see if they will respond to my email, however I did have to Google the email address because the forms of communication on their website are unreliable so I'm uncertain whether it will reach the correct people.
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »
It looks like Paypal have an Australian office. That surely ought to mean they have an obligation to comply with Australian regulations? I remember when the UK branch began to operate independently we had emails and stuff about being governed by UK and EU legislation...wouldn't it be same for Australia? I mean, if there's an Australian office, and you're an Australian citizen, and there are Australian laws dealing with this...?

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal