TCB > Trader & Shipping Support

I'm considering quitting Paypal - advice? (update pg.3)

(1/8) > >>

Tulips:
Due to a recent nightmare with Paypal I'm considering quitting, but wondering what the alternatives are.

Here's a summary of the nightmare for anyone interested.

To sum it up, I paid for a mail forwarding service that damaged my product. I opened a claim with Paypal and they found in my favor, so long as I returned the item. The forwarding company had no legal claim on my item so I contested the decision. Paypal deliberated then came back with the same response. I contested again and this time they listened that it was for a service, not a product... they found in the sellers favor. I tried to contest again and they recommended I go to the bank. The bank retrieved my money and I thought everything was resolved. Nope, next day Paypal has updated my account to have an outstanding balance of the refund. I call them to demand an explanation, since it was their advice that got me in the situation. Apparently their protection policy doesn't cover services that are not as described, so forwarding companies can do as much damage to your goods as they want and get away with it, and since the case closed they cannot pursue the seller for the refund. They refuse to resolve in my favor, can't possibly foot the bill in place of the company (that I also suspect has illegal practices in regard to tax evasion), so I'm stuck with a negative balance and an account I can't use unless I want them to take the extra money to balance it without my permission next time I use it for a payment.

I also cannot delete my bank or card details, or even delete the account, because it is under limited access. Apparently if I haven't paid the balance in 120 days the account will be locked, allegedly with the outstanding balance still associated with it and any future accounts I try to open will also have limitations. I don't believe I'm in the wrong refusing to pay Paypal, at least I know if Paypal locks my account and then attempts to charge me (which they reassured they wouldn't) my bank should be able to protect me.

But what do I do now? Has anyone been in a situation like this and can offer advice?
I suspect my days of buying internationally are now over unless I can find a mainstream enough alternative that is more trustworthy.

Anyone use Google Pay?

lovesbabysquirmy:
Ugh I had a nightmare with Paypal and I stopped using it too.  Which meant the end of my online pony buying... it's been over 10 years now.  :( 
There really isn't an equivalent, especially if you want to use Ebay. 

*pony hugs*  I know how frustrating this can be!  Paypal took me for a $1200 + ride through banking in Dante's Inferno over... get this... FORTY-THREE cents. 

brightberry:
That sounds awful.   :hug:  Awww... I hope it works out.  I did have success once getting someone on the phone with me.  You might try that.

I don’t know what you can do.  If it happened to me, I would consider closing that bank account and credit cards associated with it.  If they were going to lock me out, I wouldn’t want someone in the future finding access to it.

But, I hope you can resolve it some other way.  That would be my extreme reaction scenario.  It’s likely they’d ping your credit history and I don’t know what your local laws are.  Why does Paypal have to be that way?

I didn’t link my paypal to my bank account, I have a CC with a really low limit because I just don’t trust them. 

Tulips:

--- Quote from: brightberry on August 15, 2018, 10:42:52 PM ---I don’t know what you can do.  If it happened to me, I would consider closing that bank account and credit cards associated with it.  If they were going to lock me out, I wouldn’t want someone in the future finding access to it.

--- End quote ---

That is a very good and worrying point, thank you Brightberry. I will investigate changing my bank account and card so there's no loose ends that can be exploited, be it by Paypal or potential hackers.

NightGliderSA:
Oh wow, that really sucks! What did the forwarding company have to say about damaging your product though? Did they deny it? Surely they should be refunding you? Such a weird outcome from PayPal.

I stopped using the forwarding company that I had been making use of when they refused to give me the right to choose between their 'wonderful new product' (the post office) and how they normally sent my parcels (courier). With a negligible price difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version