collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Want to go to the gym. Tips?  (Read 897 times)

Offline Lady Frostbite

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Absolutely Abbeylicious!
    • View Profile
Want to go to the gym. Tips?
« on: August 15, 2018, 07:34:47 AM »
I've been thinking about going to the gym, as I'm pretty fed-up being so unfit. I don't care about looking good, I DO want to lose weight as I am VERY overweight, but it's more to make sure I can carry heavy things without getting tired and I want to be able to run properly.

For those who are obese and morbidly obese, do you have tips about getting started at the gym? How did you decide your program? What should I wear or pack to wear?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature image artwork done by the talented Starscout!
MLP Gameloft game friend code : 29c831

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Want to go to the gym. Tips?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 04:37:05 PM »
I did a lot of research into what I wanted to be able to do and what exercises would get me there. I also paid close attention to "if you hate doing it, you won't do it" so if there's something I despise, I don't do it, because it's not something I am willing to do long-term.

I really like the free weights, compound movements and flexibility. I don't like machines or classes. So I go in, do my own thing, and leave.

Besides your normal workout wear (t-shirt, yoga pants, sneakers), I would recommend bringing a towel (to wipe down equipment after use), a water bottle, a healthy post-workout snack, headphones if you're going to do something like the elliptical or the treadmill, and something in which to log your workouts (can be your phone). More data is always good!

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 06:44:21 PM »
There are some apps that give you great routines and circuits that you can do independently with weights or on the mats. It’s so good that you want to go to the gym and make changes. I love it and I do the classsss occasionally - they were good In teaching me how to do certain circuits/exercises and then eventually I was able to do it on my own. A good soundtrack is a must. If I am on the cross trainer or bike I also put headphones and a TV show on my phone as I get bored easily doing cardio. The other thing I would say is to put it in your schedule 2/3 times a week and stick to it. Move other things around your ‘gym time’ and never miss a session. It will soon become a great habit :) good luck!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 07:25:46 AM »
I always used the machines and had taken the free introduction class to learn how to use them. You need proper form or you can badly hurt yourself and the machines train your body for that. For cardio I use a stationary upright bike and shoot for at least 2 miles a day.

One of the best tips I got from the trainer at my old gym was to fluctuate your weight and reps each week. So like week 1 you do medium weight and normal reps, week 2 do light weight and more reps, week 3 heavy weight and less reps, etc. Mix it up so you're body doesn't get bored.

As far as clothes, my gym didn't have showers so I just wore shorts and a tee-shirt. I brought along a water bottle, towel and my iPod. Also, don't worry about being self conscious - everyone is there to work out, it's okay if you get sweaty and your face turns red :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline SilverStarApple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 05:09:17 AM »
Stick your legs up into the air while bench pressing. Also, make sure you're pushing yourself while at the gym, don't just fall into a routine of always lifting X amount of weight no matter what.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal