collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Glitter Cutie Mark/Symbol Questions  (Read 177 times)

Offline strawberrypony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
Glitter Cutie Mark/Symbol Questions
« on: August 13, 2018, 11:15:58 PM »
Hi Everyone! So I've recently been pondering over glitter cutiemarks and I thought I would share my thoughts with you guys! :biggrin:

There is a pitiful g1 Surprise in my collection that is in need of serious work. I'll make separate topic about her condition in a later post, but I recently became in possession of another g1 Surprise and upon looking at them both, my Surprise thats in poor condition, though her symbol is the one thing that remained untouched and perfect.. I realized one side has perfect pink balloon strings, and the other is perfect blue strings? No scuffing, no scratches, no fading on either side. Does anyone else have a Surprise with blue strings? Its so weird, because the symbols look basically brand new. I had initially thought it was faded upon first glance but when I looked closer it looks like thats just the color its always been? Its too vibrant and evenly pigmented paint the strings dont look faded in the least and the purple balloons are almost flawless. Maybe it is faded but I dont understand how pink would turn blue with an entirely different undertone or how the blue strings look so pristine. I had a moment where x-files music played in my head like  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: shooketh  :lol:

I also have nearly finished restoring a g1 Sunbeam that I found in the horrible circumstance of being at the trash dump with several other ponies headed for the landfill. I found them several years ago but am just now finishing  restorations on a few of them due to financial reasons. She was in the bag with a baby Lickety Split beddy-bye eye, A baby Yoyo, Lily the flutter pony with a small piece of her wings still attached and a Sundance. (They were not in the best condition I wont go into detail about the others unless someone is interested since this is about Sunbeams cutiemark  :P). Sunbeam was missing her tail, and quite dirty with barely any remnant of her cutie mark left. Ive heard its basically impossible to find a match to how the glitter cutie marks looked, I havent found anything exact either,  but the closest solution I've found is to paint down a metallic base color with some sort of acrylic paint that already has a good deal of shimmer in it, then find a very fine glitter to mix with a thin clear acrylic paint of some sort and put over the base color.  It wont be a solid glitter cover like the original but I find it really pretty to have a bit of shimmer from the base with evenly distributed extra fine glitter on top. Its an easier option than trying to find a way to make a dense glitter base. I thought maybe the idea would help someone out!  ^.^

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:17:42 PM by strawberrypony »
:hope: ponies make for a happy day

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal